“Sydney Siders Honeymoon Spot”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #32 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here after our wedding and it was the best idea ever! We live only 8kms from the CBD but that didn't stop us from having a holiday in our own city. We got to the hotel at midnight all dressed up in wedding dress. Checked into room to find some special extras (Champagne & Chocolate) wishing us all the best. The next morning waking up to the specular view that is Sydney Harbour, enjoy a Buffett breakfast and then meet friends for lunch at the rocks was so easy. The next day we had breakfast, enjoyed the spa and a late checkout
Thinking of having our 1 yr anniversary here - best way to have a honeymoon without breaking the bank with international flights

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our first stay here and we stayed for 6 nights. We had been wanting to stay here for ages.

We booked a Deluxe Grand Harbour View room and the view did not disappoint. I could look at that view all day and having the window bench is a great place to sit and enjoy it.

The room was a good size and the decor was nice. The bed was very comfortable and the linen was of a very good quality. The bathroom was very clean with separate bath and shower. The bathroom amenities were OK, a generic shower gel and shampoo is not what I call 5 star.

There were a few minor problems with our room, The toilet seat was not properly fastened so a little tricky sitting down. The small table between the window bench was not secured to the wall so when we used it the whole thing collapsed. The seat cushion was horribly stained as was one of the bedside lamps. I ordered a drink in the down stairs bar and after I gave the barman my order, I waited and waited and when I asked why I hadn't got my drink I was told the barman had gone on his dinner break. Hmmmm!

When we mentioned the problems with our room to Kerrin the Duty Manager these were all fixed in a very prompt manner. Kerrin, during our stay was absolutely fantastic her customer service was exemplary.

As it was my partners birthday during our stay a small chocolate birthday cake was in our room over 3 nights and a bottle of champagne was also put in our room one night, it was such a lovely thought. The turn down service each night is a nice touch also.

The hotel is in a great location with The Rocks area just a short walk away as is Circular Quay.

All in all it was a comfortable stay but 'It's all about the view'.

Room Tip: Deluxe Grand Harbour View Room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here over Easter long weekend. Was shocked when the room given (9th floor) stank of smoke, the smell overwhelming. The room wasn't cleaned with marks on surfaces. Husband rang reception, was told it would be fixed, nothing happened so I ventured down and asked for new room. The smell was so bad I couldn't stay. To their credit they gave me a new room straight away and apologised however I was left with a first bad impression.

the rest of the stay was comfortable but I felt the location was a bit far away from the CBD and the pathways not well lit where the stairs were. The pool and spa were indoors and closed off, its a shame it didn't make the most of the views. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and bathroom was luxurious,.I had great showers there and I liked the fruit bowl as a nice finishing touch.

Overall, met my expectations but nothing out of this world.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank sarah y
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had stayed here about 4 years ago and upgraded to a corner suite and adjacent room, making a 2 bedroom suite. We had friends holidaying from the UK who asked us to book them somewhere to stay in Sydney "with a view", an undeniable feature of the Shangri-La. While in Sydney last year I walked to the hotel to make the reservations in person. I specified that both families needed 2 bedroom suites (we have 2 kids and our friends have 3) and was quoted a rate of $695 per night. On checking in we found that we only had 1 bedroom and indeed our reservation was for 1 adult only! The hotel offered us an extra room for an additional $275 but not adjacent. We thought close to $1000 per night was far too much for an otherwise average hotel with a great view so opted to downgrade to 2 standard rooms. These were on opposite sides of the hotel and meant that my wife and I had to each stay with one of our children as they are too young not to have an adult with them.
That aside the hotel is looking tired, particularly in the Horizon Lounge, which is too small to accommodate everyone on busy evenings. The buffet breakfast restaurant is crowded and noisy and not up to 5 star standard. The indoor pool is small and frequently overcrowded.
All in all, the Shangri-La is well located and has wonderful views. If the view is not all-important to you, there are plenty of nicer hotels nearby like the Westin or the Hilton which represent much better value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cathrob1
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was one of my all time favorite hotels

I had a Premier Grand Harbour View Room and the view was AMAZING!! (again - one of my all time favorite rooms). it was a spacious corner room, and was more like a jr suite. It was a little outside of my price range but I really wanted to splurge and for the quality it was more than worth it.
when I booked there was a special, so the room came with a free bottle of Moët & Chandon champagne. oh the bliss of drinking a glass while relaxing on the couch gazing at the view...

the Shangri-la is located in a good location - in the historic Rocks section, and is only a 10 minute walk to the Opera House via Circular Quay.

I also really liked the swimming pool.

housekeeping accidently threw out a bag of my sister's chocolate mistaking it for garbage, but the concierge graciously refunded her the amount of the chocolate and provided her with a box of truffles.

Room Tip: Premier Grand Harbour View Room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is my first time to Sydney and I was really lucky to have stayed at the Shangri-La. After my lousy stay in Queenstown NZ, I was very happy to be staying at Shangri-La.
I stayed in the more expensive room that was bigger and had a view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.
My poor friend who wanted to upgrade his room to the same as ours was told the hotel was full. He was quite disappointed but the hotel was truly running at full capacity as they had a huge group of guests staying at their hotel for a convention.
Check-in was quite ok. And I was very happy with my room. It had expansive bay windows and I had a view of the bridge and the opera house from my bed.
Bed was very comfortable. Pillows and linen were fantastic.
Bathroom was clean with a shower and a bathtub. Towels were fluffy. Toiletries were their own in-house brand but it was sufficient.
Had lots of space in the room for my luggages (after the end of a 3 week long holiday, my luggage was spilling over and I need to make more space for shopping in Sydney!).
Location was good for the view but you got to walk a bit to get to the shopping belt or for food. But most of the times, we caught a cab. Cabs were readily available at the hotel lobby.
Staff were helpful and especially the concierges. They were super helpful! No question was too trivial for them.
As another reviewer wrote, the hotel is uphill from Circular Quay so it is really quite a hike. So it wasn't all that fun to be traversing up and down that many times. So much so that I felt really lazy to look for dinner thinking of all the hiking that is required.
As it was my first time in Sydney, I was a bit lost when I first ventured out from my hotel as you got to figure out your map to find places to eat. Some hotels are right smack on a major street so food is not a problem. But Shangri-La is not one of them.
It is quite close to the Harbour Bridge walk place and it was like only a 7 minutes walk away.
We tried the indoor pool and it is not very big as it is for most other hotels with 4 seasons. But adequate for a few laps if you must exercise.
They turn down the beds in the evening and they left bookmarks every evening. Bookmarks with quotes from this particular book (I am unsure if the book is a famous literary book but it did look like some movie title...)
Breakfast spread was ok. Not the best I have been to but good if you are lazy to go out to find breakfast. But it is definitely not worth AUD$42 (like we did as the rooms came without breakfast).
Check out though was a hassle. The staff was unsure about the bill itself and it had so many credits and debits. When we enquired a bit further, he was just as unsure. I hope they don't expect guests to just pay for whatever that is stated on the bill with zero questions! So it would be nice to have a staff who can explain the bill when questions are asked. This is after all Shangri-La you know.
It was a good stay and we paid a pretty penny for it.

Room Tip: Pay more for the Sydney Habour Bridge and Sydney Opera House view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My review is based on this being a 5 star hotel. The 'issues' would not be issues in a 3 star hotel.
Firstly the positives. Lovely suite (we booked a Club Harbour View one bedroomed suite). Well appointed, comfortable bed, bathroom clean and roomy. View to die for. Club staff were friendly and evening drinks and breakfast were good.

Issues. A 20 minute wait to check-in at 6pm on a work day is unacceptable - especially as only 2 staff were working the 5 or 6 desks and a manager did not appear to help until at least 20 mins had passed. Our room apparently enjoyed the benefit of Club check-in but there was nothing to indicate this in the lobby and in any event you need a key card to access the club (??).

Lovely range of leaf teas in the room. No teapot however. Took 2 requests to get one and then no strainer - at this point we gave up and bought our own.

Toiletaries werevin small pots that were not replaced frequently enough that two of us could finish our showers without running out.

So nothing catastrophic but not really up to 5 star rating or prices - but so easily could be.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple