Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
$192
$130
  • Room Service
$164
  • Restaurant
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$118
$195
$182
Agoda.com
6,909 results
All reviewshorizon clubblu baropera housegrand harbourcircular quaywindow seattop floorrocks arearoom servicecorner suiteharbour viewturn down serviceclub roombottle of champagnefour seasonsbuffet breakfastfive star hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel this morning early not expecting to be able to check in but were hoping to leave our luggage here,very surprised when the lovely girl at reception said she could actually arrange for us to check in. This was great and the first of many examples that we have seen today of great customer service.
We are on the 23rd floor and the view is nice but I have no idea what we are looking at, certainly not the harbour bridge or opera house that we were hoping to see!!
Pool is nice, my 8 year old loved it but the spa is cold so I didn't enjoy waiting around for her to finish her swim as I normally do at hotel/resorts.
Haven't eaten here yet so can't comment on that.
Now for the negatives. There aren't many, strangely it's mostly about cleanliness with is not what I was expecting. We arrived today to find a dirty tissue under one of the lounge chairs...it's still there cause a) I'm not picking it up and b) we want to see if it gets picked up tomorrow!! There were hairs in the bath tonight when I went to have a bath and the tissue box and "ledge" around the mirror in the bathroom are really dusty. Maybe small stuff BUT not what I expect for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 20, 2012

First impression of the hotel is that it needs some freshening up. The lobby area is a bit dingy and dinged up. One very odd thing is the quality of the shower--the water keeps getting hotter, and then colder. It's really impossible to have a nice relaxing shower. We had a special occasion and were offered a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine. Nice to offer, but it never showed up. The view was nice, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

First:

To the poor management of the emergency loss of power on 7th November.
Why no back up generator in the hotel?

Again, as a previous contributor has commented, the arrangements for booking guests into alternative hotels on 8th November were chaotic and that is being polite. We did manage to secure a transfer to The Sheraton on the Park, although I had to insist that the taxi to transfer us and our luggage was paid for by the Shangri-La, this should of course have been dealt with by them spontaneously, not by me having to request it.
No subsequent attempt by The Shagri-La to contact us when in Sydney to check that the alternative arrangements were satisfactory.

Our original booking was for 7 nights, and paid for, up front, through Expedia. We were assured by the Shangri-La that their reservation staff would contact Expedia so that our booking could be refunded. On our return home 10 days later when I contacted Expedia, they had had no contact from the Shangri-La, and when the Expedia agent contacted the Shangri-La directly he was asked to obtain from me the name of the staff member who had assured me that our booking cost would be refunded!! After the Expedia agent passing on my contempt for this offensive attempt at customer service I have been assured that my booking fees will be refunded in full.

Overall a dreadful experience, with appalling customer service by the Shangri-La.

The marker of good customer service is how it responds when there is a problem. In this case they failed dreadfully.

Second.

To the hotel itself. Tired at best and needing a major refurbishment. The position is awesome with great views of the Harbour. The rooms are pretty small, even the Horizon Club rooms, with tired shabby bathrooms.

Management change needed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank caravagg10
ArpadRomandy, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Caravagg10,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience with us on the 7th November at Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney. On behalf of the hotel and personally, we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by the power outage at our hotel during this time. The hotel does have a power back up generator which runs life safety systems, a few elevators and some key equipment, however unfortunately our back-up generator does not have enough power to run the entire hotel.

We understand the communication and instruction was not nearly as effective as we intended, the amount of guest requests and relocations was far higher than we have experienced before. Unfortunately the power outage itself was out of our control and our priority was the safety and security of all our guests. We are now starting to contact all guests to follow up on the relocation process and we apologise we have not yet been in touch with you. We would appreciate if you can provide us with your reservation name and contact details so we can further discuss your refund and Expedia booking.

We are very sorry again for your experience with us. We hope that you will allow us to restore your faith and confidence in our service and thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Booked for a mother daughter weekend.

Not great for a supposed 5 star rating. We booked through Centurion and the room we requested was not correct. We were put in a renovated executive harbour view room, we had booked into a Altitude room, however at least our room was renovated the lady at the desk told me. Plus we could still use the Altitude lounge. Imagine paying for a un renovated room!

We were on the 22nd floor, the room was large however no pillows, there were hairs in the bathroom and the speaker was blaring in the bathroom from the TV. The view was great.

We had pre dinner canapes in the Altitude Lounge, they must let every man and his dog use this lounge now, not exclusive at all! However room service was fantastic.

The pool was broken, and took a day to fix, the gym was large and had great equipment.

The hotel was too busy to cope, the breakfast line was unbelievable.

Certainly did not feel special at this hotel.

The service however was polite and all complaints were dealt with quickly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Melanie S
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel experienced a power outage and all guests had to be relocated to other hotels. The service during this stressful was dreadful, the staff didn't know what to do. When I returned to complete my stay no apologies from the management happy to take your money for an exclusive hotel but offer little in return

Room Tip: Choose a room as high as possible the views across Darling Harbour are impressive but the harbour bridge and the opera house are stunning
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com
1  Thank Kerry B