“I had the time of my life”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #32 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I stay there with my daughters for 4 night the Rooms have breathtaking views of the Sydeney Opera House and the brige. This is what you need in Sydney. location was great. walk around the Rocks and Sydney Harbor. Beautifully decorated rooms and comfortable beds, fantastic buffet breakfasts. And in the afternoon we enjoy our time in the club house the stuff was so friendly and helpful I had the most beutifull time ever

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My partner booked this venue as a treat for us on a friday night. We stayed in room 1809 and when he opened the door for me I thought it wonderful. The room was spacious and clean. The views, (check photos) were almost as good as the room. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud and the bathroom (especially the shower) was fit for royalty. We don't splurge like this often, but when we do we are nervous about being let down. When I read some reviews on trip advisor I was a bit nervous but then again, there are some people who will NEVER be pleased. We had drinks upstairs and although pricey, offered a great view of the western side of the harbour bridge. We went out for dinner but should have dined in. When we did return for dinner we were pleasantly surprised to find housekeeping had been in to turn down the bed, clean the bathroom and do little special touches to our room. House keeping staff are amazing. Like invisible elves. The rooms are extremely quiet. Ours could look down to the Cahill expressway. NO NOISE. The curtains when closed give total darkness for that perfect sleep. It's soooo hard to close them though. You lose the view, I would stay here for a week if I could. When we checked out, we wanted to spend the day in the city before going home. No problem. We could book the bags in to the luggage room until we were ready to pick them up. The only thing I would change is parking. I would have driven in except for the cost of overnight parking. I still believe parking should be included in the price of any hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1809, a Deluxe Grand Harbour room. I requested a higher up floor with a view of t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2012

In September I booked a 2-night stay at this hotel. The price was AUD500 per night for a stay during high season (end of December). My credit card issuer recently updated the expiration date of the credit card I'd used to make the booking. Last night I attempted to edit my reservation simply to reflect the new expiration date (in the event this caused a problem for the hotel). The email from Shangri-La to confirm the change reflected a price of AUD950 per night -- nearly double the price of the original booking! I emailed the hotel immediately in an attempt to rectify this -- and, 18 hours later, I have yet to receive a response. I also called Shangri-La's central reservations number this afternoon and was told that I should allow more time for a response... What most troubles me about this experience is that there is NOTHING on Shangri-La's reservations website to indicate that making a minor change to personal/payment details will result in a price increase. Had that been made clear, I'd have attempted to communicate the expiration date change in some other way.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank J C
ArpadRomandy, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear J C,

Thank you for alerting us to the concern you have with your booking. This indeed does sound like a glitch in our reservation system and for this we are truly sorry. Please contact me with your reservation details so that we may correct your booking immediately.

Once again, we are truly sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced due to this system error and we look forward to welcoming you to the Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney in December.

Kind regards,
Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at this hotel for 2 nights after our wedding reception.
We stayed in a room facing Darling Harbour from our bedroom and bathroom ,Opera House and Harbour Bridge from the lounge. The views talk for itself. Absolutely superb. Bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept.
Breakfast were so peaceful comparing other 5 stars hotel in the Cbd. Drinks and canapes at Horizon club was a lovely treat, great variety and Comfortable environment. All staff starting from the porter, concierge, reception, housekeeping and restaurant were very friendly and efficient.
Shangri-la Sydney, we are definitely coming back to have another memorable stay!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Juliana B
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here one night for a special treat,as we did the sydney harbour night bridge climb,which is a few minutes from the hotel.
The views are really breathtaking.
The room spotless,staff bend over backwards to please you.
Location is great .
Breakfast is very very good with a million things to choose from.
The bar is very good with again,the best views
The club lounge is great to have cake and coffee etc,and again the views are special and you cant ever get sick of looking out the window..
Very much loved the stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as part of a celebration for her special birthday. We were impressed with the service given by all the staff from check in to check out. Our room, a Harbour View King Room, had a great view overlooking the bridge and opera house, was really comfortable and the king bed was fantastic. The room was spacious and the "marble" bathroom especially luxurious with all the accompaniments that you would expect. We partook of cocktails in the Vue Bar on 2 nights and dined in the "Altitude" Restaurant on our final night and really enjoyed the quality of the food and the ambiance (but how wouldn't you with a view like it has from 36th floor). The choice at breakfast was immense and we didn't have to ask for anything as the staff were constantly asking if we wanted top ups of coffee and tea. We couldn't fault anything. Overall a great place to stay and even though the average "punter" may say it is a little bit pricey if you want to treat a loved one, and yourself, this is the place to spoil yourselves. I recommend this hotel highly for that special occasion.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RocketMelbourne
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel and made our stay in Sydney. From the room with a view both of the Opera House and the Bridge to the Concierge Alex who was right on with small elegant- non touristy restaurants and suggestions to Lo in Guest Relations, everyone was welcoming, so knowledgeable and lovely. The hotel is in the Rocks, close to the Circular Quay and the historic section - a perfect location. the pool is wonderful as is the spa and gym - the best in the City, according to a resident I spoke to in the jacuzzi. And finally, it has such a peaceful ambiance from the moment you step inside- a great place to return to after a day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Center of the hotel with the great view mentioned above. Call the hotel on Sk...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends