“Amazing view & huge refurbished room” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing view & huge refurbished room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here on 2 separate occasions as part of our honeymoon and got allocated an amazing refurbished room with a view of both the Harbour Bridge and Opera House on the second occasion. The first time our room had not been refurbished, didn't have a great view and wasn't as nice. But both rooms were huge and both were nice and comfortable.

The hotel is in a great location and it was easy for us to get around Sydney both by boat and on foot. The hotel food was lovely and better value than dinner at the local restaurants. Unfortunately we discovered this on our last night. Great breakfasts containing more choice than you would ever need. The bar on the top floor is a must-see. Amazing view from there too. Good for one drink. Staff were very pleasant, and helped us out when Qantas lost my bag. The only area of the hotel that was a let-down was the pool area. There is only a small indoor pool. Overall it is a very nice hotel and we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,718)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 nights in a Premier Grand Harbour View Room. The view was breath taking and well worth it. Rooms are well laid out, exceptionally clean and modern and even came with a bowl of fresh fruit. The marble bathroom is one of the best I have seen in a hotel. The staff including the housekeeping ladies are professional, however pleasantly friendly.
The restaurant, Alltitude is also well worth a visit. The food is Devine and the view splendid.
We usually stay at the Sydney Harbour Mariott when in Sydney however we will be changing that to the Shangri la.
Can't rate the Shangri la and our experience highly enough. We both cant wait to return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is the kind of hotel that delivers, quietly and efficiently, right across the board.

I stayed for four nights in a Horizon Club room (30th floor) which has its own little lounge with fabulous views. It was worth it for me as I did a number of meetings there, plus I stopped by for evening drinks a couple of times. The dedicated service desk up there was very professional and pleasant (and at the risk of sounding like a dirty old man, one staff member was breath-takingly beautiful). Breakfast there was a little limited, but perfectly good. Cafe Mix breakfast was substantially the same with a few extras.

Rooms were well equipped eg cafetiere with packets of ground coffee, which I've never had before. My non-Opera House view from the 33rd floor (Harbour View I think they call it) was spectacular.

Hard to find fault really. Room service was a bit pricey, but then food is never cheap in Australia, plus I was very happy with the quality. Design is bordering on bland, though it is pleasant (hence the 4/5 room score). Sometimes the lifts took a while to come. Although I stayed for four nights, I was offered no discount or upgrade. This is about the best I can do in terms of complaining!

Finally, a Sydney hotel I will return to.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked into a Horizon Club Grand Harbour VIew Room and from the time we set foot into the lobby to the time we left to return home the service was second to none!

If you can stretch the budget select a room on a Horizon Club Floor which affords you the luxury of checking in and out at the Club Lounge (bliss) while the concierge takes your luggage up to your room. Included in your room rate is breakfast (we ate at Cafe Mix on Level 1 - then would head up to the club lounge to enjoy the morning paper over more coffee and some bakery items), afternoon tea (think high tea) and drinks/canapes in the early evening. The canapes turned out to be a meal and desserts - so you could basically go without buying any extra food!

The room was smallish but the view was to die for, the bed was comfy and there were all those extras you come to expect from a great hotel (including a jogging map!).

The Shangri-La will now be our first choice whenever we are in Sydney.

Room Tip: Room 13 on every floor has the best view - its the corner room where you can see the opera house fro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked a night at one of the executive grand harbour view rooms to celebrate the end of my post-grad exam and walking into the room was a sensational experience. We simply loved the view we stayed late at night and got up early in the morning to soak it all in. The king-bed was directly in front of the Opera House and the small sitting area from where the hallway inside the room leads to gave you a superb view of the Harbour Bridge. The window was however huge enough that you got great view of both iconic sights wherever you stood.

The bathroom has virtually anything you really need. And ambient lighting was amazing, adding on to the already fantastic atmosphere in the room.

We had great service with valet parking, the charges of which was reasonable.

We really have nothing to complain about this room. Everything was superb as it was meant to be for any 5-star hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jkl615
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Outstanding. Great service on check-in , after an early morning long flight from Perth. I was upgraded to an Opera House view room. The hotel was beautiful, and in the heart of the Circular Quay area. An easy walk to The Rocks, and just off George Street. Very comfortable bed, and lovely room. Pleasant toiletries, and a great relaxing bath. The speakers in the bathroom were a nice touch, so you could still listen to the tv. I appreciated the separate desk area, from which I actually didn't mind working. I checked out the view from the level 36 bar which looked stunning. The bar was busy with quite a buzz on a Thursday night. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, Delicious coffee, and such a selection of food! I was very happy with the chorizo scrambled eggs, with sides of mushrooms, hash browns, and pastries.This was a delightful stay all round.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

What a wonderful experience.

I had one night in Sydney so I thought I would treat myself to a nice hotel up at The Rocks. Check-in was effortless and I was very pleased with the room when I arrived. I chose this partly because of the room size, the bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in.

The bed was huge, very comfy with lots of pillows to chose from, ideal to let you sit up in bed and watch TV or read. The bathroom was enormous, my wife would probably have stayed in there for a whole weekend, there was a separate bath and shower on opposite sides on the room with a large sink and mirror unit in the middle, I did like the speakers in the bathroom to continue listening to the radio whilst I had a shower and got ready. Everything looked fairly new and worked perfectly, loads of hot water immediately.

I didn't quite work out the air-con / heating and was a bit chilly but there were big fluffy bathrobes and slippers so it really didn't matter plus maybe saved a couple of ozones along the way. There was a desk squeezed in the corner but it was perfectly adequate with good lighting plus several power points and internet.

Coffee and tea in abundance, I didn't go for the minibar but it was well stocked.

Loads of storage wherever you looked, I would have needed a couple more suitcases to fill all of them. Safe was easy to use and handily located.

Great padded window ledge with cushions, so basically you could sit on the very wide window ledge and stare at the view in comfort, the only drawback being the Four Seasons hotel next door and looking straight into their rooms.

A very nice touch, I popped out for an hour and when I returned the curtains were drawn, the bed had been folded back plus the bath mats laid out etc, I felt very welcome even though a long way from home.

Five minutes walk to The Rocks, ferries, views, restaurants, museums, sunday markets and whatever else you wanted to find.

Room Tip: Opera House City View Room. The hotel is square in shape with the flat front facing the bridge and o...