“Lovely hotel, Great location but not 5 star service.”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed in the Shangri-La for 4 nights. We got a great deal, and it was very good value for money. Its location is excellent. We had a Sydney Opera House view which was great apart from the crane that was between us and it. The room itself was lovely and the bath was great. The one fault i'd have with the hotel is that the service wasn't what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The staff were nice but in comparison to other 5 star hotels we have stayed in it was just lacking something. Also as we were checking out we were told there was a restaurant charge of over 250 ausd to our room. They did not charge us but they did say they would have to leave our account open until it was resolved. We did get an email to say that this had been a mistake but I was not happy about the fact it was left like that.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Had the pleasure of going to Sydney to see Sting at the Opera House in February and the luck to be able to go to The Shangri La. I stayed here with my Mum in a Deluxe Grand Harbour View Room and got exactly what I paid for, but be warned it's not cheap. We had fantastic views out of our window of both the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.
I spent most of my time sat on the window seat with a glass of wine watching all the activity on the Quays.
It is worth booking with breakfast as nothing is cheap in Sydney and the breakfasts were plentyful.
We also got room service one night after a very hot day up in the mountains and it was lovely as good as anything you would get in a restaurant.
The staff were very friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble.
The spa is fantastic, we had a lovely massage and floated out afterwards.
A warning for the faint hearted the walk back from the Harbour up to the Hotel is not an easy one, it's an uphill climb with plenty of steps thrown in for good measure and on a 41 degree day it was not an easy task especially with a Mum visiting from England who is used to temperatures in the minus's in February. Having said that there are many different walks back to the Hotel and some with some lovely surprises, like the archeological dig that explains exactly what was found there. And the delightful hidden pubs and restaurants en route.

Room Tip: Definately request a Deluxe Harbour View we were somewhere between the 14th and 18th floor cannot re...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank indecisive123
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I LOVED this hotel!
I stay in Sydney frequently and I try and stay at different hotels, but admit I have some faves. This is now top of the list.
The service was amazing, the room was lovely, the bed was very comfortable the bathroom took my breath away, all round it was excellent.
I also had drink in the bar and dinner at the resturant, everything was top class and staff everywhere were superb, I will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank rochellesutton
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We had a great time here. The staff were all efficient, courteous and very helpful. Our room was large and had a great view and was very well looked after by house-keeping. The pool and gym were also large and well looked after.

Cocktails on the 36th floor as the sun set over Sydney were spectacular.

The only weak area was the food in the first floor restaurant where both the food and the service coudl be improved. The hotel is also up a hill from George Street so its location may not suit everyone. However, we loved it and hope to return.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for my birthday. We have stayed in most 5 star hotels in Sydney and I must say we were disappointed.
We selected a Horizon Opera City View Room for this special occasion and were very happy with the canapes and drinks provided in the club lounge. The view was beautiful.
Unfortunately the same could not be said for our arrival or room...

On arrival I have never been to a 5 star hotel where you are not met by the concierge to help with bags, we had to lug out bags out of the taxi ourselves and then try and figure out how to get to the club room check in.
This was not the welcome we expected.
If looking at the website you will notice the view they show to advertise this room is a very clear one toward the opera house with the city off to one side. The only way we were able to see the opera house from our room was by sitting in the furthest corner of the window sill. Not exactly what we thought we had paid for.
The other unfortunate and totally unacceptable element of our stay was when I took a knife to the fruit supplied in our room only to discover the apple was completely ROTTEN inside!! It smelt absolutely horrible. I am so glad I had not chosen to bite into this!
When I then picked this up off the tray the base of the apple was completely rotten through and liquid had built up suggesting it had been there for a VERY long time.

While the staff in the horizon club are lovely and some rooms do have fantastic views the lack of service on arrival, false advertising together with rotten fruit in their most expensive club rooms is unacceptable.

I would choose to stay at the Observatory or even the Sheraton on the park over this place in a heartbeat. Although these places are not blessed with the same views, the amazing staff and well described rooms are far better value.

Room Tip: Dont be decieved by images online, you would be better booking a cheap harbour view room over the ex...
3  Thank BeckFSiro
AmyBunting, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Dear becky-boo,

Thank you for your review regarding our property, Shangri-La Hotel,Sydney.

We wish to sincerely apologise for the issues you experienced in regards to your arrival at the Hotel, quality of your fruit amenity and also the disappointment you felt in regards to your room view.

We are however pleased to note that you enjoyed your experience in the Horizon Club and will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

Please contact me directly so that we may address the issues concerned on (02) 9250 6179, or amy.bunting@shangr-la.com.

Kind regards,

Amy Bunting
Quality Improvement Manager

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I have stayed here a few times over the past year or so - typically when the prices at my regular hotel is too high, or availability limited. The location is in the CBD, but down the Harbour end abutting the southern end of the harbour bridge (although not noisy) - so a 5 to 15 min walk to any business offices. The location is great if you want to explore the Rocks or the harbour - the Bridge Climb base is very close, and Circular Quay down the hill. The check-in process is one of the best I have experienced in Sydney - very professional and quick. The rooms can be a little drab and tired - the Asian influence in attempting to be 'formal' shows through. That said, they are large and the views can be quite spectacular. Internet is good and the room is well laid out with good facilities. The breakfast restaurant is fine - nothing special but efficient and with sufficient range for most. The views from the business lounge are great and the food quite good (didn't try breakfast there), but it can get crowded. The top floor restaurant lounge is excellent. The highlight here for me was the service - rooms let the place down a little, and I must admit (whilst a regular visitor to Sydney) the location often inspires me to have a walk around.

Room Tip: Just ask for a view - there are so few rooms without them
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 20clicks
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed in the Horizon Club levels. The suite was great, although for a suite of this type the lounge should be comfortable not like sitting in a church pew. The bed was great as were the pillows. We had room service for dinner, although the food was great, $37.00 plus service for a burger is a bit much!!!!!
We do enjoy our stays at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business