“Highly recommended especially for first time Sydney visitors”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #36 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Recently stayed at the Shangri-La on two separate occasions in a week span. The first stay was actually my first visit to Sydney. I picked this hotel because of its location to the major sights and reviews. The hotel does not disappoint.

My only complaint was a potential noise problem with the room during my first stay. Even though we booked a Imperial Club room, we ended up in room 2910 which is the floor below the Club. Our room was actually directly underneath the main foot traffic area of the Club, and you could easily hear the noise from dress shoes, chairs being pulled out, etc. The more frequent noise was in the evening hours, especially on the weekend, when the Club was being used most. We were not in our room much during the day and evening hours so this did not bother us. However, you should avoid this room and those in the immediate proximity if daytime/evening quietness is a must. This is my only complaint. I got the impression that if we had complained to the hotel, they would have quickly accommodated us. On the flip side, this room had a tremendous view of the Sydney Harbour including the Harbour Bridge, Rocks, ferries, and Opera House. Apparently, the actual Club rooms don't have such a direct view because the Club itself has a multi-floor atrium occupying the space.

Overall, the hotel rooms are quite spacious for a large city, and include all the amenities you could possibly need. Wireless internet is even included. If you can, spring for an Imperial Club room. There are great food presentations throughout the day as well as non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks. The Club is well staffed with very professional and courteous people. The Club has a dramatic, towering view over Sydney Harbour including the Bridge, ferry area, Rocks, and the Opera House. There is a private check-in/check-out service within the Club which is nice when the downstairs lobby gets busy. This was a great place to grab breakfast in the morning, and to relax after a long day of sight seeing or for pre-dinner cocktails.

During the first stay, as mentioned, we did not have a "Club room" even though we had Club access. On the second stay, we did have a "Club room" located on the same floor as the Club entrance - the 30th floor. We had a great side view of part of the Harbour including the Opera House. There are some minor differences in the rooms such as upgraded amenities (espresso coffee and bathroom amenities). Otherwise, both rooms were equally comfortable. It is the amenities in the actual Club which make the higher price worth it.

For a first time visiter, the location of the hotel to all of the major Harbour sights was priceless. We could easily walk to the Harbour Bridge, all of the pubs, shops, and restaurants in the Rocks district, the ferries, and the Opera House. Darling Harbour is an easy 10 minute walk.

All of the hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel, especially for those looking for an upscale hotel within walking distance to the major sights. I would certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Imperial Club and/or full Harbour view rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ZachT
Write a ReviewReviews (6,789)

Reviewed July 26, 2011

I traveled to Australia to visit family in Mildura, but I decided to stop over in Sydney for 4 days. My uncle reserved an Opera house view room for me, and I loved it! It was amazing to wake up each morning and look out my window to see the sun rising over the famous Sydney opera house. My room was very spacious and beautiful. The king bed was very comfortable, and I had no problems falling to sleep. Housekeeping did an excellent job of cleaning and restocking my room. For turn down service, a bookmark with a bit of wisdom was left on my pillow. The service was great and the concierge gave me very helpful tips about things to do in the area, places to eat, and how to get around to the places I was interested in going. Also, he gave me pointers on the order of doing things since some places close earlier than others. I ate at the restaurant in the lobby only one morning, but the blueberry muffin I had was delicious. Service in the restaurant was great too. I didn't encounter any problems during my stay. They even provided me with an adapter after mine shorted out. Very nice hotel...great place to stay when you are in Sydney.

Room Tip: Opera house view is great....nice to see the sun rising over the opera house in the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank nitawil
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed there as a family and after a very long flight with two small children were given the wrong room with no cots nor extra beds.
We were asked to go for a walk and come back in 3 hours so that a room could be ready (it was not easy with a 2 and 4 year old who just wanted to sleep...).
When we came back, the matter was still not resolved so things had to be escalated to the person in charge who gave us a small suite for the family.
This was a disappointing experience as the request for extra beds was done months in advance and written on the reservation room.
In general, the hotel is ok but not on the top range of the Shangri la we have been to....
It is also on top of a hill in Sydney so not easy to go to if you have a stroller and kids.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank lvetravelling
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed for a break for 4 nights in July 2011 on the Horizon Club levels. The rooms are larger than average and very comfortable, great beds and a huge range of amenities which have been thoughtfully selected...eg stationery supplies in the desk. Proper plunger coffee is provided at no extra charge, likewise bath salts...stuff you have to pay for in other five star chains.

The Horizon Club is definitely worth the extra money. A full breakfast with a full selection of complimentary papers, spectacular view and no queue!

We stayed during the worst weather in 30 years in Sydney and it was cold. Our heating appeared to be not working and within 15 minutes of reporting it, it was fixed. The repair man came back an hour later to check it, followed up by a phone call and then later a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine. That in my mind is faultless service.

I think the Shangri La exemplifies what a five star chain hotel should be. I have stayed in many of their competitors and this hotel beats them all in its all round product delivery.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andthenthey
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The view of the Harbour and Opera House were absolutely fantastic. We loved everything about this hotel, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was top notch. The valet were extremely helpful and had our car ready when requested. This hotel was also within walking distance to the Harbour, Aquarium and Botanic Gardens.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Stayed for a weekend. If it fits in the budget book a harbour view or Opera house view room as they have the best views and also in the Horizon Club as these are all located on the highest floors and take advantage of the views of Sydney Harbour.

Upon check in at the Horizon Club at approximately 4.00pm we had to wait close to forty-five minute wait for our room to be available. This was the only issue we had and we were well looked after in the Horizon Club during that time.

Staff were friendly and attentive and went out of their way to assist and everything went smoothly. We ate in the Altitude restaurant (see separate review) and did not use the other facilities. Wireless internet is available for no charge throughout the hotel.

The hotel is well located in the Rocks area and close by to a large number of tourist sites. Although rates are quite high, the staff provide good service and the hotel is well located with comfortable and well furnished rooms.

Room Tip: Try for a Horizon Club Harbour View or Opera House view if it fits in the budget as they are on the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brettnwau
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed here for two nights July 8th and 9th. I took advantage of the private driver to and from the airport which was just a little more expensive than taking a cab. For service, I would give this hotel my highest recommendation. I booked the Horizon Grand Harbour View Room. I was met at the door by Lo, I think her name was, who was very pleasant and I was told that I was being upgraded. Well, they didn't have any rooms left that were nicer than what I have booked, but there was a bottle of sparkling wine in my room and there was a significant discount off the original booking price. My room was on the 34th floor and had a wonderful view of both the harbour bridge and the Sydney Opera House. The windows were filthy but there was a card explaining that the windows were currently being cleaned. Fair enough. I loved the room itself, especially the window seat and the stunning view. Totally worth the splurge! I would concur with previous reviews that recommend going for the Horizon Club room. Good buffet breakfast and pre-dinner canapes as well. Location is easily accessible to the CBD, the Rocks and Circular Quay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo