“Good experience”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
“Good experience”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We went for lunch on a voucher. No second class citizen, cheapskate service. Rather we were made very welcome. When I enquired about a wine I didn't know, I was offered a taste - turned out to be a half glass taste - very generous. The food was excellent, though I probably wouldn't have paid full price. Overall an excellent experience.

• Visited October 2013

Sydney, Australia
“Great food, new atmosphere, long walk from Central”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Went there on a Sunday for lunch, the choice of food available was appealing. I ordered the Roast kangaroo fillet with rhubarb, braised red cabbage and agro dolce sauce and had a glass of red wine per recommendation from the waiter. It was a long uphill walk to the restaurant from Central station but at least it was all downhill for the walk back! Try it.

Visited September 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Below average all round”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We went for a hen's do dinner. There were a large group of us, and we were seated around a very long table, which automatically made it really hard for us to have conversations. Before I went, I'd called to discuss the Gluten free menu, and the staff member Tiffany was extremely helpful - as she was on the night. However, her lovely service couldn't really help the food, which was awful. The asparagus starter was overcooked and rubbery. The risotto for the main was claggy. The staff (besides tiffany) were not very helpful, either to myself or the rest of the group, and service was slow. I assume as we were on a Hen Do, there was a decision made we'd be drunk and loud, and to leave us alone to get on with it. Even if that had been the case - some of our party were comfortably sloshed (but none were ridiculous or too loud) it's not a great attitude to have. As the upstairs room also had several other smaller parties and couples, I'd imagine they weren't thrilled to be seated so near such a large group, so it seems like poor planning or execution. Or simply a wish to cram in as many diners as possible to keep earnings up.
With the one notable exception, the staff were less than fabulous, the food was very average and the atmosphere (in the upstairs room) non existent. The food was very expensive for what it was. Fortunately, as she was surrounded by her friends, the bride to be had a lovely time. But I'd say that was despite Watts on Crown, not because of it. I won't be back.

Halifax, Canada
“Incredible”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Travelling from Canada and staying in the Surrey Hills neighbourhood - we were looking for a nice meal and good wine. Our concierge recommended a few other restaurants in the area, but after checking a few places online we decided to try Watts on Crown.

Service was fantastic, the meal was even better. Can't say enough about how great this restaurant is.

Sydney, Australia
“Excellent service, food and value”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We went there on voucher on a Friday night and it was lovely to be treated as "a valued guest" on a voucher. The waiters/waitress were attentive and friendly without being intrusive. The food was very reasonably priced and great value for the quality of the meals. I had the braised octopus which was absolutely beautiful, then kangaroo with mash and carvelo nero. My companion had ceviche and the duck, which was thoroughly enjoyed. We added a side of beans and parmesan which were both really enjoyable. We finished off with creme brulee and chocolate fondant, both of which were tasty, smooth and a great way to end the meal. This place would not have come in my radar had it not been for the voucher offer, but we will definitely be back for a chance to sample more dishes off the menu. Would like to try breakfast as well! A very lovely evening and food, very enjoyable all around and would highly recommend this lovely establishment.