“Just moved to the area and have found my new local.”
Review of Watts on Crown - CLOSED

Watts on Crown
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I know reviews always differ and I was sad to read the experience of Love-food-win as I have had 2 exceptional experiences here. I was first introduced to Watts on Crown for a friends 40th, delicious canape party upstairs. I was then living North Shore and it was hard to get to, to try again. Having now moved to Surry Hills I came and had dinner and can say I had a really lovely meal. Grilled squid and black pudding followed by a perfectly cooked steak. My friend had a great piece of fish which I cannot remember but she loved it. For dessert we had cheese and I was blown away that our waitress, knew and obviously loved cheese. I will be back for sure. This little place makes me glad to live in Surry Hills, a fabulous suburb by the way!

There are newer reviews for Watts on Crown

Reviewed August 30, 2012

2nd time at this restaurant ,sadly this time we were all extremely disappointed with the food quality, not consistant with the first time we came 3 months ago .
Even the service had slipped too... Waited way too long for our drinks and meal. We were so let down with the food served, couldn't even finish our plates food taste was so bad. Won't be back !!!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I ate here very recently and absolutely LOVED my 3 course meals! I was full half way before I even finished my main but continued on to dessert. Absolutely delicious food which I would highly recommend. I'll definitely be going back!

I had the quail for an entree which was served with a delicious eggplant ragout which was caramelised to divine satisfaction and reminded me of my nonna's food. For main, I had the braised kangaroo and again this was perfectly cooked and served atop red cabbage and a bunch of spinach with a sweet (Agro Dolce) sauce. I couldn't finish this meal entirely as I also had the duck fat chips as a side. For dessert, I couldn't go past the chocolate fondant and this did not disappoint! It had a warm runny centre and was absolutely delicious. A MUST TO TRY! :)

The ONLY downside that I had from my entire experience if I had to be picky is that they didn't top our jug of water up (even though we didn't ask).

Reviewed May 9, 2012

As Americans visiting Australia, we were trying to avoid touristy type restaurants. Our friends live in Sydney and they took us to Watts on Crown. The white wall design felt more like a breakfast/lunch establishment so it wasn't the best dinner atmosphere. However, with the lights dimmed we soon forgot about it.

It's a pretty small place, but they seated us quickly and took very good care of us. The food was expensive, but on par with Sydney prices.

The food was also a bit more on the adventurous side (for me anyway), but it was all delicious. We had the liver mousse which I couldn't get enough of (and I have never liked pate). For my main, I had grilled kangaroo which was tender and juicy and tasted like a fine steak. The desserts were equally delicious and we ended up being enormously satisfied.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Being Crown Street Surry Hills locals, we have observed the evolution of many restaurants in this area which has become one of Sydney's top dining strips. There has been an ongoing emergence of new restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and wine bars to what was already a popular eat street. The new incarnation at this particular site, formerly the Vespa Cafe in a past life, has all the ingredients required for a long and very successful future.
The new interior fitout is very impressive with a bar downstairs, and for the first time at this location, there are upstairs tables and use of the balcony overlooking the local colour of Crown Street. Deep modern tones and mirrors create a very appealing and soothing ambience.
Many of the waiting staff are of European background which brings a touch of panache and sophistication to the dining experience. It's tempting to think that you might be in Florence or Paris. The service itself is efficient, warm and helpful.
But let's get to the part that matters most - the food. The menu is not huge, but there are sufficient choices for the needs of most palates. I have dined here twice now. On the first occasion, I had the barramundi fillet which was devine. The fish was very fresh indeed, perfectly cooked with the skin crispy pan fried to perfection with a subtle dash of salt to bring out the flavours. This was served on a fennel puree which provided an effective counterpoint.
On my second visit, I tried the rump steak served with cafe de paris butter and fries. The rump was also perfectly cooked and of a quality that would put many an eye fillet to shame. The flavours of the butter sauce really enhanced the char grill cooking style of the meat.
Watts on Crown is licenced as well as BYO.
What is also impressive is that prices have been set at a very reasonable level - about $ 25 / $ 26 for mains. This represents tremendous value given the quality of the dining experience and I think this has been a very clever strategic move on the owners' part.
All in all, this new restaurant is the whole package bringing together a most enjoyable dining experience at a price that encourages you to visit regularly. And that is exactly what I intend to do! It is a very worthy addition to the local dining scene and I would highly recommend it.

3  Thank ___Dr__J0Hn___