“Close to theatre and great for one night”

Capitol Square Hotel
Ranked #149 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Waratah, NSW
“Close to theatre and great for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had one night here. We only wanted a bed, so we did not need a fancy place to stay. Location is the best feature. Room size was OK twin king beds joined so plenty of room. It was clean although probably die for refurbishment. We had no problems with check in or staff. Breakfast was OK nothing great but filled us up for the morning. This was only 2 doors from the capitol theatre and was best value in the area. It was mardi gras weekend so most hotels were booked out and expensive.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 9 times before when it was under the Rydges banner. This was my 10th visit and my last. The new management has no idea of customer service.
1. Until I identified that I had a physical disability the person on check-in refused to assist me transger my luggage to the room.
2. Air conditioning switch did not work properly and was set on 18 .... they fixed it but said it was because I didn't know to press the buttons properly (a joke as I'm 55 and pressed buttons most of my life)
3. Elictrical safety tags expired a yr ago ... does this place no longer have a preventative maintenance program?
4. On check out they informed me that the storage of luggage on arrival was complimentary .... not so on leaving.
5. Shower curtain in the bathroom had mould all over the bottom edge.

My advice to any would be guests .... think twice about booking this venue. I stayed because of previous positive experiences .... never again .... for the price this place is now a disaster.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank molecular_4u
Boram K, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I want to thank you for bringing these to my attention. Test and tags to electrical equipment in-room are valid for a period of 2 years, and we certainly do have a preventative maintenance program in place. I am concerned however with the level of service presented to you. I have taken this matter seriously and assure you that staff will be re-trained accordingly. If I could ask you to contact me directly, as so i can learn in detail of these incidents and perhaps make sure that this do not occur again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I was disappointed with this place and the only thing it had going for it was its location. I was there from Perth specifically for the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert which was at the Entertainment Centre, only a five minute walk away. For my purpose that was its only redeeming asset.
The room was small (or the bed too big for it). It felt old and musty.
The ensuite was in need of a major renovation, with tiles ready to leave the walls, leaky taps and generally dirty in appearance.
The breakfast was average. The coffee machine wasnt working so we were forced to have instant, (and poor quality instant at that). We had to buy coffee and although that wasnt really expensive, I felt that as this was their problem, coffee should have been complimentary until they fixed it.
We had to pay a $2.00 fee per bag, for having our bags left there after checkout. I have done a lot of travelling and that has never happened to me. The reason given was that the store room is so small. I guess my $2.00 makes it just that bit bigger.
It does have some plus points but they are points that are related only to its location and not to their service or facilities.
It is in the CBD, close to public transport, restaurants, shopping and tourist attractions.
It is actually part of the Rydges hotel group. I wonder if they know about it.

Room Tip: Our room was second floor and facing Campbell Street and I didnt get too much road noise.
2 Thank skynnylyzyrd
I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. I agree with you in your suggestion that the espresso coffee should have been complimentary while the other coffee machine was not functioning. I will be sure to brief the team for future occasions. As for the rooms, you will be pleased to learn that Capitol Square Hotel is undergoing some refurbishment and I trust it will look a lot better for when you are in Sydney next.
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I was very disappointed in what was provided as a guest there. Tiles in bathroom were dirty and had not been scrubbed. Breakfast was awful, it was supposed to be a full cooked breakast, the chef couldn't of been bothered to pull the bacon apart to cook it. The coffee they served was unacceptable and in this modern day instant coffee is not on. Apparently the machine was broken but if you wanted a long black you had to pay an extra $3 per cup - IT WASN'T INCLUDED. When we complained the reception clerk said to us oh it is normally instant coffee that is served. We had a late flight out of Sydney so we asked to store our luggage which we have done all over the world and can you believe they charged us $2 per bag. Rooms were really small, you could barely move around. The only positive about this hotel is where it is situated. I think they need to lift their game.

Room Tip: I don't think it makes any difference as the hotel is next door to an arcade mall.
1 Thank Masons_10
Thank you for posting a review. I am glad that you have found the hotel's location convenient, but at the same time sorry, to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. At the time you were staying with us, we did have a coffee machine malfunction and as per your suggestion an alternative to instant coffee should have been included. I will brief the team accordingly. The rooms are currently undergoing some refurbishment and hopefully, given another chance we will see you again in a better light.
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

There are certainly no frills. The room I stayed in was fairly small, not particularly welcoming and the ensuite a bit out of date, but if you are not planning to spend time in your hotel other than for somewhere to sleep everything worked and I slept fine. I was on the 2nd floor and didn't notice too much noise from outside. Of course the location of the hotel is a plus. Next door to the Capitol theatre and right in the George Street entertainment district. I did not have much to do with the staff - other than to book in and check out both of which happened smoothly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
I am glad that you have found the hotel's location convenient. Some of the Hotel is currently undergoing some refurbishment and we would like to welcome you back for your next trip to Sydney. Thank you for posting a review.
Gold Coast, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our rooms felt yucky as soon as we checked in. Old and scabby . I had not sat on the bed for 2 mins and a bed bug crawled on me although at the time I didn't know what it was. The room was Crawling with bed bugs and now of course we are covered in bites (including my 1 & 2 year olds). Pay extra and go somewhere else. We were in Room 235.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Essmoo
I am saddened to hear of this incident. I wish you would had informed us of this while you were at the hotel, so we could deal with it promptly and to your liking. This incident has been dealt with seriously and I can assure you that for your future stay with us, I will inspect the room myself before your arrival. Thank you for your review.
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel was advertised as a budget hotel and that's what it basically is (compared to other hotels in the area or closer to the harbour). The room we stayed in was dated and some of the fittings needed attention, but it had everything we needed. The beds were comfortable, room clean and the staff were helpful. We enjoyed the fact that the hotel was located close to Darling Harbour. It's about a 10-15 min walk to Darling Point/Darling Harbour and is situation close to Chinatown and lots of reasonably priced restaurants. As the hotel is located near a busy main road, we could hear a lot of traffic from our room. If you think this will bother you, might be a good idea to ask for a room that is not facing the road.

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you, ask for a room that is not facing the main road.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It is great you have enjoyed your stay with us. You will be pleased to know that we are currently undergoing some soft refurbishment throughout the hotel. I certainly do hope that you will book with us for your next trip to Sydney.