“Bed Bugs Galore! Never again!”

Capitol Square Hotel
Ranked #149 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Gold Coast, Australia
“Bed Bugs Galore! Never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our rooms felt yucky as soon as we checked in. Old and scabby . I had not sat on the bed for 2 mins and a bed bug crawled on me although at the time I didn't know what it was. The room was Crawling with bed bugs and now of course we are covered in bites (including my 1 & 2 year olds). Pay extra and go somewhere else. We were in Room 235.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Essmoo
Boram K, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I am saddened to hear of this incident. I wish you would had informed us of this while you were at the hotel, so we could deal with it promptly and to your liking. This incident has been dealt with seriously and I can assure you that for your future stay with us, I will inspect the room myself before your arrival. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel was advertised as a budget hotel and that's what it basically is (compared to other hotels in the area or closer to the harbour). The room we stayed in was dated and some of the fittings needed attention, but it had everything we needed. The beds were comfortable, room clean and the staff were helpful. We enjoyed the fact that the hotel was located close to Darling Harbour. It's about a 10-15 min walk to Darling Point/Darling Harbour and is situation close to Chinatown and lots of reasonably priced restaurants. As the hotel is located near a busy main road, we could hear a lot of traffic from our room. If you think this will bother you, might be a good idea to ask for a room that is not facing the road.

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you, ask for a room that is not facing the main road.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It is great you have enjoyed your stay with us. You will be pleased to know that we are currently undergoing some soft refurbishment throughout the hotel. I certainly do hope that you will book with us for your next trip to Sydney.
Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I had to book the the Capitol Square hotel in an emergency when I found myself with nowhere to stay in Sydney. It was cheap so I snapped it up and then read reviews. This got me worried.
But when I arrived the hotel exceeded my expectations. The rooms need updating a little but mine was certainly clean and well made up. The maid service was polite and efficient. The TV, fridge, kettle and air conditioning came in very handy. And the location was excellent, very central and close to the train station. It's certainly not fancy but for everything it did the job perfectly without ruining my budget.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank KeiraJayne
Boram K, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your time in reviewing the hotel. It is great that you have found Capitol Square Hotel suitable for your purposes in Sydney. We pride in being centrally located and being well priced. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

had a family room booked recieved a lesser room at higher rate with camp bed as extra. no room to move. sheets had not been changed no extra pillows .beds werent made properly no guide to tv or whats on in sydney lift only at reception could not find any fire exits hardly legal small emergency map on back of door of no help.very over pricedwhen we coplained no one seemed to want to know english... never again plenty of other good places to stay even in the same street.

Room Tip: go up the road
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ronald k
Thank you for your time posting a review. I am saddened to hear that your stay with us was not an enjoyable one. It is a practice here at the hotel that all linen are changed on a daily basis and any extra amenities needed are a phone call away. I apologise if this was not the case during your stay. I have taken your comments seriously and will review the department's practice and procedures.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Haymarket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Capitol Square Hotel if a perfect hotel for country people like ourselves who travelled to Sydney by train. Being a short walk to central station as well as Darling Harbour and China town, we were delighted with the location.
The Hotel itself was quiet, clean and offered the things that makes travelling easier, e.g hair dryer, tea and coffee making, plus a great breakfast. The staff were very polite and friendly. All in all, a home away from home. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Peter R
Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay.
Would like to welcome you back to the hotel for your next trip to Sydney, Happy for you to contact me directly for your next booking.
Kellys Plains
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

An ideal central location (unfortunately my only positive) for this incredibly overpriced motel with very uncomfortable beds, fairly grotty bathroom and staff with no knowledge of the local transportation system. Buffet breakfast was very plain and not the friendliest service. Other than the location being good for those wishing to walk I would not recommend it. Very very expensive for what you get . incredibly overpriced.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Rachael E
Thank you for your time in posting a review.
We constantly strive to be competitively priced and reflect value to our customers.
During your stay, it seems that it could have been during a busy period, where we did not have enough rooms for the demand present at the time. For your next trip to Sydney, please do not refrain from contacting me directly, as so I can look after your booking personally.