“Good Location”

Ranked #149 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Ontario
“Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2008

This hotel was the first stay in Australia on my honeymoon. When we checked in it was rather frustrating that we had to go down to the basement, then go up a dirty elevator to get to our room. However, main elevator was fixed within a few hours of our stay.
Staff was friendly for the most part, however, at times front desk could have used another person working as it did get really busy. Asked if they had any special deals for honeymoon couple and the lady at the desk said she could not help us to talk to management. It would have been nice if she could have took it upon herself to ask management.
Room was nice for the most part. However, did get a little noisy at night. Our Queen sized bed was also two single beds pushed together. Hotel did have internet in 2nd floor lobby which was nice being from Canada and all.
The location was great as all the other reviews have said. I think location is by far the best part about the trip as we were out of the room more then in it.
The only real bad thing I have to say about this hotel is that we were told if we used a phone card it would only cost $.50 a cal at the most and we made about ten shorter calls and had $40.00 worth of charges.
I would stay there again for the price!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Two single beds pushed together.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CookFamilyfromCanada
capitolsquare, Hotel Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your stay at the Capitol Square Hotel Sydney.

The type of room that you occupied for your stay was a King zip room which is a room that gives the hotel the opportunity to offer as two single beds or when zipped together a King bed. Once the beds are zipped together you are unable to tell that they are two single beds.

My apologise for the hotel not recognising your honeymoon as this is a very special occasion and the hotel likes to honour this occasion with a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine.

I look forward to having the opportunity if you return to Sydney to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe Queen room by contacting myself direct on paul_cundy@rydges.com

Yours Sincerely
Hotel Manager
Capitol Square Hotel Sydney.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
sunshine coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2008

Booked this hotel on rydges web site, Billy Elliot at the Capital
hotel next door. The room was very small with 2 single beds
bathroom, room for one person only at a time, window faced on to a alley ,dark room very tired hotel expected more from the Rydges Group. If you want to go to see a show at the Capital ,try the Metro opposite.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank noosasunshine

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sitia, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

Stay for 8 days,on christmas and new year.Room was smal but clean and only on the hottest day ( 42 C ) the aircondicion did't work very good.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2008

I will admit that I was hesitant to stay at the Capitol Square Hotel after reading some of the negative reviews, however being on a tight budget (being near Christmas time) this was the hotel that offered the best rate in such a great location.

I had a pleasant check-in and out experience. The staff were quite busy on both occasions, but they were very welcoming and polite to me and my partner. The manager on Duty, Jason I believe his name was, explained all the services in detail and answered all of my questions. He was also very helpful in letting me know what was around the hotel and what places of interest we could go.

Location was a 5 minute walk to Central Station, China Town, Paddy's Markets, The QVB and other shopping centres, Cinemas and if you add another 5 minutes to the walk you're in beautiful Darling Harbour.

The room was great considering what I paid. The room, bed, linen and bathroom were clean and comfortable. I had a pretty good view of George St and there was very little noise from the city. The room included a mini fridge, seats, cupboard (with extra pillows, blankets, iron and board, kettle, mugs tea and coffee), table, TV, clock radio, internet connection and air conditioning.
The bathroom was substancial including a bath/shower, toilet, sink and all the towels, gel and shampoo/conditioner I needed. It was small, but not cramped and I had more than enough room to do what is done in a bathroom.

Overall I am very pleased with my stay and the service provided from the Capitol Square Hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeatriceNsw
capitolsquare, Hotel Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2008
Dear Beatrice,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the true picture of Captiol Square Hotel Sydney to fellow travellers.

The hotel has a great location and all the staff will go out of there way to please you from the time you walk in the door till the time that you leave.

The rooms are clean and very well priced for a hotel that is so central to all Sydney has to offer.

Thank you and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not to distance future.

Kind regards,
Hotel manager
Capitol Square Hotel Sydney
Central Coast, NSW
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2007

I have stayed in many different Sydney hotels and this time around I searched for a well located hotel within Sydney for a reasonable rate for a one night stay just before Christmas. With a rate of $99 for a Sunday night stay in Sydney, Capitol Square Hotel appeared to fit the bill for this, so I was happy to book through the Rydges.com website.

Upon my arrival at the hotel late on the Sunday evening, the reception was attended by two staff members, one of whom was on the phone, the other simply looked up at me blankly and said "check in with what name?" I mean come on, it takes only a few seconds more to actually say hello and actually get to know your guest, so I was rightly annoyed at this lack of courtesy. The same staff member then thrust a registration card at me and simply said "can i have your credit card so I can take an imprint". Why bother employing staff when they do not actually bother to get to know their guests?

I was allocated a room on the 5th floor of the hotel, and told by the staff member that this was "the good floor to be on", well if this was the good floor I would really hate to see the other ones! The room had splotchy marks all over the carpets, dented old furniture and to make things even worse the bathroom was literally the size of a closet and did not have any towels at all! So I had to call back downstairs to reception to ask for some towels to be sent up to my room. I called twice and on both occasions the number simply rang out, on the third attempt my request was finally answered by a staff member who treated my call with contempt and merely stated that they would "bring them up when they got a moment", I mean I am a paying guest, surely my concerns are a priority.

Checking out early on Monday morning was certainly very fast, I arrived at the reception desk and said that I was checking out, the staff member merely said back to me "what room" and then proceeded to check me out without even a moments pause. My request to speak to someone about my stay merely yielded a response of "the manager will not be here until 9am and I can't help you", I have stayed at many different hotels in Sydney and elsewhere, and this is the first time that I have actually been told that my opinion is worthless.

This hotel has a great location at the heart of the entertainment district with Darling Harbour nearby. However the service here is simply appalling and definately not up to the standards of a Rydges property. Throughout my stay I gained the impression that I was simply not important enough to be listened to, and that the staff simply do not care as long as you pay up and get out in time. Next time I am in Sydney and paying for my own accommodation I will definately be staying at Ibis World Square or Metro on Pitt, who I am sure will actually appreciate and enjoy having me as a guest.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Poor room condition, lack of attention by housekeepers (no towels in room), appalling reception staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank busytraveller085
capitolsquare, Hotel Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2008
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to offer my apologises for the poor level of service that you had received on your visit to the Hotel.

I hope that I have the opportunity to show you that this was a once off experince. The hotel has a very large number of return guests that have been staying with us for over 10 years and keep coming back.

The employees that you had come in contact througout your stay have all read your comments and offer their apologises.

Please I can be contacted at the hotel or by email at paul_cundy@rydges.com as I would value the opportunity to show you that this was a once off experience.

Regards,
Capitol Square Hotel Sydney
Canberra
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

My friend and I were only in Sydney for one night to go to a concert, so we were happy to stay in a budget hotel in a busy area. The place wasn’t too noisy, and the location is fantastic, a short 5 minute walk to central station and heaps of shops, restaurants etc. The bathroom and room were clean, apart from the doona cover which had urine stains and the carpet which had a large orange stain (not that the carpet matters). However, it was the poor service we received when we arrived that turned us off.

I was called the day before the booking and informed that there was an error with wotif.com; the website kept taking bookings even though they were full, so they were now overbooked. The lady was very nice, and explained that they’d arranged accommodation for us across the road at the Metro, which has the same star-rating and amenities and would be the same price. For the inconvenience, Capitol would throw in a complimentary breakfast, too.

We arrived at the Metro and waited in line a while, and when we got to the desk the staff couldn’t find our booking. About ten minutes was spent waiting in line and then waiting for the staff to go through the system to find us, checking with other staff, etc. Then we were told they needed to call the Capitol, because they couldn’t find our booking. I wasn’t too happy about all the waiting as we had a tight turnaround time before we had to leave for our concert, and we were hoping to get a nanna nap in before we left.

We waited another ten minutes while the Metro staff tried for a while to get through to the Captitol (either the phone was busy or no-one was answering) but we were finally told that the Capitol DID have a room for us. Now that’s inconvenience: waiting in line when you’re tired, hungry and thirsty for no reason whatsoever.

We got to Capitol and waited in line some more. We overheard the clerk say to the customers in front of us as they left for their room, that they were in the “good” side of the hotel, meaning away from the street and the roadworks. How unprofessional to say that at all -admitting that there’s a good and bad side to a hotel when you pay the same rate- and worse, in front of other customers!?

We were given our room key and I asked if breakfast was still included; in my opinion we’d been stuffed around more waiting across the road unnecessarily than we would have been if we’d actually checked in to the Metro. The clerk checked our paperwork and said that our booking didn’t include it. I explained that we’d been told we were now getting complimentary breakfast, to which the manager told the clerk right in front of us (we weren’t important enough to be acknowledged) that no, our booking didn’t come with breakfast, and we weren’t supposed to go to the Metro at all (as if it was our fault we went there).

We were told to go to the Metro by Capitol, but they wouldn’t admit their mistake nor make good on their conciliation for the hassle. Annoyed, I pointed out that they’d wasted our time, about half an hour (meaning no nap). Indirectly, the clerk then accused us of lying, by checking his watch and saying it’d only been ten minutes since he received the phone call from the Metro. Again, they didn’t seem to grasp the fact that it was their fault we were waiting 20 minutes at the Metro, not the Metros or ours.

The Capitol’s handling of the issue made us feel completely undervalued; a free breakfast is nothing compared to the loss of repeat business from people who stay in Sydney CBD regularly. So there you have it: location good; amenities okay; service appalling.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank niki_mouse
capitolsquare, Hotel manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2007
Dear Nikki,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your pervious stay at the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not enjoyable. There seems to have been a mix up in communication with your reservation at the hotel. The Duty manager has informed me that she had left a message on your mobile to advise that your booking was confirmed to stay at the Capitol Square hotel. I offer my apologies if this message did not come through clear.

I would like to have the opportunity to apologise in person and I have also tried to call your mobile over the last couple of days with no luck. I will also be sending out an apology letter to the address that was provided to the hotel on your check in.

The hotel prides its self on great customer service and I am sorry that it did not come across on your resent stay at the hotel. I do hope that you accept my apologizes and my offer to come back and stay another night at the hotel on your next visit to Sydney.

Please contact myself direct at the hotel so that I can personally oversee your next stay at the hotel.

Kind regards,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2007

Don't agree w/ other reviewer. In fact, our floor was being painted during our stay (rooms & halls). Only heard street noise if window was left open. As it's the end of autumn, beginning of winter didn't even try the A/C. Never tried the dining room as I agree $10 is a bit much for breakfast when all I need is a piece of fruit or a muffin. Central Station was about as far as Darling Harbour, a 10-15 minute walk. We even walked up George St. to Queen Elizabeth Mall so it's really conveniently located. 2 blocks from Paddy's Market, banks everywhere, & a Starbucks right next door. Many Asian restaurants in the area as you're in Chinatown. Found a laundrymat between the hotel & Central Stn. I'd say better than the YHA 2 blocks away.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends