“Good location but badly in need of a reno.”

Capitol Square Hotel
Ranked #155 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Close to the Capitol theatre, Chinatown and central station it's a good location. Hotel is run down. Awful bathroom, bed not very comfortable. Cheap'ish but not value for money. Maybe you can find an extra cheap deal that would be the only reason to stay. Also quite noisy on George street

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank KMJphotography
Michael S, Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I was pleased to read that you found the hotels location suited your needs during your time in Sydney. Im sorry you felt that way about the rest of your stay.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel for a future stay and in a room away from George St.

There are newer reviews for Capitol Square Hotel

Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel is in the ideal location for the Capitol Theatre but that's its only redeeming feature. The car park is underground, hot, extremely tight and $30/ night. Staff are friendly enough and the buffet breakfast was adequate, but our room was awful: cramped, tired, VERY dated, mouldy bathroom, rusty shower rail, shower height low. One towel and one pillow each. Soap and shampoo from a dispenser. The windows were filthy and the air con feeble. 2m wall within 1m of unopenable window. Very little storage space. Generally tatty and way overpriced. Will not visit again.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Denise C

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion regarding your stay at capitol Square Hotel. Capitol Square Hotel is situated directly next door to Capitol theatre so is great for guests who are seeing a show. We are also located on George St which is one of Sydney's busiest and only 1 block away from Chinatown which is great this time of year with all the chinese New Year Celebrations.

Its upsetting you found the carpark to be "hot, tight and overpriced". I will pass on this information to the managers of the Carpark as it is not owned or operated by the hotel. We do have an arrangement with the carpark owners of the discounted price of $30.00 a night. Without this negotiated price you could be paying up to $45.00 per night.

I was disappointed to read you did not find your room very comfortable. As a 3.5 star hotel perfectly situated in the heart of the CBD we pride ourselves on having good valued accommodation. I apologise that we did not meet your expectations and will endeavour to try harder to ensure all guests have an enjoyable stay at Capitol Square Hotel.

Thank you again for your comments. It is only with your opinions we can see areas of the hotel which may need some improvement. Without your comments we may never know that issues exist and therefore they can go unnoticed and unrectified.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here for a night when I went to a concert in the city.

I love the capitol square building, with it's Japanese style pachinko and UFO catcher arcade and excellent restaurants, and always make a point of going there when in Sydney. This hotel is right upstairs from there, so made sense to stay here as that's where we would be having dinner.

Chinatown and the entertainment centre are just across George street as well.

I found the rooms to be a bit dowdy, but no worse than any other 3 star property in Sydney.

The bed was comfortable, clean and quiet and I've stayed in other places in Sydney that cost a lot more and didn't tick all of those boxes.

Unfortunately Sydney is very expensive when it comes to rooms, so anything under $150 pn is cheap. I got the room for around $120 a night and I think that's pretty competitive for this class of hotel in Sydney.

If you are on a budget you probably won't get a better location for the money. Don't expect luxury though.

The only real annoyance during our stay was due to the rudeness of another guest, who took her frustrations about the cramped lobby out on my partner and I, who happened to be in her way as she stomped through, despite our best attempts to make room.

Back on subject, I would stay here again, the price is right and you get what you pay for, right in the heart of the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank asia_short_tripper
Michael S, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback during your recent visit. I agree, the hotel is in an excellent location and you're not wrong about those restaurants in the Capitol Square Building, I am often down there struggling to decide what to eat. I was also pleased to see that you found the hotel to be good value for money.

Thank you again for providing this feedback regarding your recent stay. Being in the hospitality industry guest feedback is vital in understanding any flaws the hotel may have that need to be rectified or any strength’s that need to be acknowledged. Comments such as yours are so valuable to staff and I here in the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back to Capitol Square Hotel for a future visit.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My family of 3 stayed here mid week to catch a show. Location is excellent for that. We were also able to walk to Pitt St Mall, the QVB and China Town with ease. Darling Harbour would also be an easy walk.
The Hotel has enough to make it comfortable. We knew what we were paying for and that was location, a bed and a shower. It provided all three. If you want sculptures in the foyer and mini bar look elsewhere.
Car park will cost you $30 if you leave by 11am.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Capitol Square Hotel in Sydney. I was pleased to read that you found your stay "comfortable" and in an "excellent location". Everything you have pointed out in your comments is everything we try to achieve at the hotel, a Bed, a Shower and a great location at a reasonable price. The parking unfortunately is not owned by the hotel and is managed by a separate company; it is still one of the cheapest parking options in the CBD.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel. I hope we will be able to welcome you and your family back to the hotel for a future stay.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed for a few days in May 2012. The rooms were depressing, very basic, old school bed sheets, TV, desk, side tables etc.. bathroom needs doing up. Generally, the whole place needs a revamp. If you're on a budget stay here but don't expect much. Only the location is very good and breakfast is OK, but rooms are not.

It's right at the doorstep of George St which is where all the shops are, it's a ~45 minute walk to Sydney Opera House etc.. but it's down the main road so it's a decent walk and <5mins from the main train station.

some of the staff were a bit moody and not friendly.

I doubt I would stay here again, I remember thinking that it was OK for the £ paid but you would rather spend a bit more and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to express your comments regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney. I was pleased to read that you found the hotels location suited to you and your needs during your time in Sydney. We are located directly on George Street which is one of the main roads running directly through the heart Sydney. Darling Harbour is a 15 minute walk, Circular Quay 30 minutes and the Opera House 45 minutes. If you don’t feel like walking Central Station is less than 10 minutes away where Buses, Trains and Trams leave regularly heading to all parts of the CBD.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Sydney. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to a future stay at Capitol Square Hotel.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very disappointing hotel.
Very basic room, old and in need of a revamp. Lift was broken and had to walk up 4 flights of very dirty smelly stairs. Very expensive compared to others in similar area. Will not be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela P
Michael S, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel. Please accept my apologies for the lift being out of service. Due to a maintenance issue (out of the hotels control) it was inactive for some time until our contracted technicians were able to fix it. I was unaware of the state of the emergency exits until I checked them after your comments. I agree they do have a very unwelcoming smell. As they are hardly ever used I was unaware of this. I have instructed a team to give the emergency exits a thorough clean.

I hope with this information has set your mind at ease in regards to the hotels overall image. We pride ourselves on being a well valued 3 and ½ star hotel in the Sydney CBD. We hope we will be able to welcome you back for a future stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney.

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel. There aren't too many places in Sydney CBD that offer clean comfortable Accomodation for the price of the Capitol Square Hotel - I had a very warm welcome, my room was clean, spacious with a great view over Chinatown. The bed was comfortable and quiet, despite the 10,000 odd people filtering past the hotel at 11pm after a Radiohead concert!!
I had a very filling breakfast for less than $20 (would have been less if I had of exudes to pre pay!!) after very quick check out I walked 100 meters to the light rail.
I'm very happy and will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2012

What a delightful review. I was so pleased to read your glowing comments about your stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney. We pride ourselves on being a well valued 3 and 1/2 star hotel in the Sydney CBD. The team work tirelessly on presentation and guest satisfaction and it is so great to see all this hard work is paying off. I look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit.