“A Very Good Choice”

Best Western Plus Hotel Stellar
Ranked #44 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed one night at this property recently (based upon Trip Advisor reviews) and were not disappointed. First of all, Sydney has a population of I think 3 million and we didn't want to rent a car. We were able to take a train from the airport to Museum Stop (about $33). From there we walked approx. 2 blocks to our hotel. It is in a central location, and within about 7 blocks of the Sydney Harbor and Opera House, which we walked to. Plenty of food choices nearby and right by beautiful Hyde Park. The staff at the hotel was wonderful and very helpful. They were cleaning near our first room and the fumes were really strong, so they happily moved us to another room (and it was just fine). The rooms are like small apartments with everything you need - frig/microwave, etc. Rooms were very clean; beds and pillows very comfortable. Only CON was with the train station: at this particular one, just be prepared that they do not have elevators, so you have to carry your luggage up/down a couple of flights of steps. I believe there is another train station nearby (Central, I believe) and it has an elevator. We enjoyed our stay here though, would stay again, and have no problem recommending it. It's a good choice and reasonably priced for the Sydney area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TXLuv2Travel

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a small cheaper hotel in Central Sydney. It has recently been refurbished and the fittings of the rooms are good. The people at the reception desk are helpful and it is reasonably conveniently located. When I arrived I was given a really dark room on the first floor that was really depressing. I looked out the windows directly onto the street and there were lines of smokers from a neighbouring building looking directly back at me. There were also very noisy dump trucks in the alley. Anyway- I asked to have a different room and they were able to give me a much better room on the top floor. Overall the room was well equipped and comfortable - it even has a small kitchen area. I would stay here again if I was on a budget holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

On our first trip to Australia, this was our first hotel. I really was anxious about the location, but found Sydney to be easy to walk around. The location of the Stellar was actually great! Just down the street from the museum and a pleasant 20 minute walk to the Opera House. Our room was a nice size, and complete with a kitchenette. When we discovered how expensive food is, we were really thankful for the extensive items. We ended up having breakfast each day in room to save some money. That being said, there was a lovely coffee shop and breakfast counter downstairs that we never took advantage of.

The hotel was kind enough to have our room ready at an early check in time, as we arrived well before noon after a 16 hour flight. The room was in great condition, and serviced well every day. The front desk staff was nice, but some where just not helpful, and could not assist with directions or recommendations. My only other complaint was room service. Its a big deal to me, and I get Room Service on every single trip at least once. The in room menu was not accurate, and most things on the menu they didn't offer. When we were able to find something, it was well price and tasted fine. The staff that brought it up was the front desk staff, and they always had a weird look when they brought it up, as if to say "Really? Room service?"

All in all, I am picky, and would still strongly recommend this place to any savvy traveler looking for a good deal, a nice room and a great kitchenette amenity.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gmjpeach
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and had a Queen Studio - a room large enough to swing a cat, with an adequate kitchenette. The rooms seem like they have been recently refurbished; however not a great deal was spent on the bath rooms.

I staying for a couple of nights for business each week and simply want to pay around $150 a night, I search in Expedia and if this hotel is available it is my first choice - there are others in the area but this is the best in my view. And I'm staying for the next 4 weeks, having managed to book it in.

The not so good... 1) I haven't used the public facilities; however they look non-existent 2) The plumbing makes strange noises; however my sleep has not been disturbed 3) The lift seems to be used by cleaners/laundry at 7am in the morning; this means I need to walk down the stairs.

Room Tip: I've only been in the street facing rooms - 301 and 401, the noise didn't bother me, but if...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheScout
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent 2 nights in the 3 bedroom apartment and thought the Hotel was very good overall. The apartment had 2 fantastic rooms each with an en-suite and huge beds and these 2 rooms are away from the main lounge area. The 3rd room does not have an en-suite but as there are 3 bathrooms in the whole apartment this isn't a massive issue.

We did initially have an issue when we arrived in relation to the price but this was fixed quickly. We did have to go down some stairs in the fire exit to get to our rooms but this was not a big issue but could be if elderly..

Positives
- Great position near Hyde Park.
- Massive bedrooms
- Fantastic bathrooms
- Quiet
- Good kitchen facilities.
- Nice reception staff.
- Small hotel.

Negatives
- 2 great rooms 1 not so great..
- CD player didn't work and TV didn't work all that well.

All in all a great little hotel..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was one of the largest hotel rooms I think I've ever been in. It had a large bed, a 'living' area with a full sofa, a kitchen, closets, and a bathroom. The location was ideal, right next to the park and easy to walk to tourist attractions. Rooms were clean and there was plenty to do nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vashka0310
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is very well placed. It is close to the museum train stop, which is usefull coming from the airport by train. It isn't so far from George street, and right next to a beautiful park. We chose this hotel because of its location and comfiness.
Of course there are plenty of other hotels, but this one quite good in general for everything we needed : bathroom, bed, little kitchen, location, neatness for a couple of days.

Room Tip: We don't hear any noise from the rooms on the street side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family