“Great choice”

Best Western Plus Hotel Stellar
Ranked #43 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 24, 2013

After reading the reviews, I decided to book this hotel and wasnt disappointed. We had a studio room with a king size bed and were pleasantly surprised by the spacious size of the studio and modern decor and lighting. The location is a really handy one with easy access to trains and the free city bus. The only down side is the breakfast was average but definitely would stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This place is right at the heart of the city; not by the shore, not by the historic Rocks but Sydney has a very small city centre anyway. It is located right at the south eastern corner of Hyde Park, next to the popular Oxford Street, with loads of attractions all around:

10 mins walk to the west is the China Town, 10 mins walk to north west is the shopping area with glorious Queen Victoria Building at the centre, 20 mins walk to north is historic Rocks, and 5 mins walk to north is the Botanical Gardens and the Domain and 10 mins walk to the east is the lively Kingscross with hundreds of fab restaurants. Mardi Gra parade which takes once a year starts right at your door.

If you wanna take the train, then there is a stop right at the door. Using the train, you can travel to the north of the city or to the airport.

This is a self catered hotel, nice and clean. Nothing fancy, no view but the street but price reflects that. Dont pay for the breakfast, it doenst worth it and you can get the same breaky anywhere around the city anyway. This, more than anything, is convinient and decent place to stay, to have a base; that's all.

While you are in the city, dont miss the following walks:
- Bondi to Coogee (9km cliff walk);
- Spit to Manly and to Shelly Beach(8km walk);
- Taronga to Balmoral(7-8km walk)

All these walks are in the national parks of the city, all with excellent views, easily accessible walks.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank AErinc
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a very chaotic arrival at the Best Western Stellar. Parking is impossible so we had to chance a bit of illegal parking. The reception staff very kindly helped us with our luggage from the car but then wanted our passports which were deep in one of our cases and would not let us into our room to get them. I did not want to start emptying a case in the lobby. i wanted to leave the luggage in the room and get my hire car moved. It ended up with my wife sitting on the luggage until I got rid of the car. Other than that hiccup all went well. The room was large but as it was on a busy main road we had an early morning awakening. The Hotel is very well situated for the centre of Sydney and Paddy,s market is close by. The staff were very imformative and helpful. It is a well worth staying here for a short break especially if you are a good sleeper or get an inside room.

Room Tip: Get an inside room for quietness.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeeAlpha
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is my default place to stay in Sydney. It's centrally located without being in the after-hours wasteland of the CBD, close to some nice cafes, coffee shops, pubs and bars, walking distance to not one but two railway stations and a handful of bus stops and very convenient if you are coming from the airport via train.

I don't use the common areas, I don't have breakfast there. Why would you when you have a wide range of great little cafes within walking distance? Some rooms get more traffic noise than others, but that has never worried me much. You can actually open the windows and let in fresh air. That's a real bonus.

I've stayed overnight, I've stayed for a week. Each time I stay, the rooms are consistently clean. The price is very reasonable. I've stayed in lots of hotels all over Sydney and this is the one I keep coming back to.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Janie K
Reviewed March 14, 2013

And great air conditioning.

As much as I like to put aside my American proclivities when I travel, I need air conditioning in summer and I need ice in my drinks. I stayed in two other places in Australia, and both had "european A/C", which made the room feel better than it would have if there was no A/C, making the air "conditioned" but not comfortable.

Good free Wifi. Nice views from the room. Some parking, but you need to reserve ahead. No real "common areas" on the ground floor, but I never care about that anyway.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tamjm
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I recently went to Sydney to visit friends and attend Mardi Gras; rather than couch surf I did a bit of research and managed to find this hotel. It seemed too good to be true: rooms available a week before Mardi Gras, great location (100m from Hyde Park and Oxford Street), mini-apartments, and decent rates for Sydney. The Museum train station is about 250m away so getting in from the airport was easy as.

Hotel is small--only a handful of rooms on each of 6 floors--with a tiny, European-style reception. Check-in was smooth, and was in the lift in less than 5 minutes--at 845PM on Friday night. I didn't use the common areas so cannot comment on the food and beverage or internet café.

Room: first impression was "what's that smell": the filter in the air con needs to be cleaned or replaced. The studio "apartment's kitchen area is a 2 person table, a sink, bar fridge, kettle, countertop grill and dishes/cutlery. There's no hop or oven, so can't really cook much. So that's a bit of a mis-representation of the room amenities.

Bed was a nice comfy queen-sized (ugly headboard, however) one. Bathroom was decent sized with a good stall shower. TV was smallish (26"?). Free wifi in the room was great. Furnishings were to a very nice standard.

Location is marvellous: within 400m there is public transit access to nearly any metro Sydney amenities. But it's also a bit down Wentworth Ave, making it quiet compared to places on Hyde Park proper.

I'd stay there again. I'd probably contact them first to see if a 1 bedroom apartment has a proper kitchenette--for a longer stay it might be worth paying for the upgrade; otherwise the studio was fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JawnBC
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for our first weekend in Sydney. Stayed in the One Bedroom Suite. We arrived early so couldn't check in early till after 2pm. Which after a long flight I wish we could have. Once in the room, the layout was quite comfortable. Location is very close to Hyde Park and Oxford Street. Overall a very nice weekend stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends