“Comfort and Elegance.”

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
“Comfort and Elegance.”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while attending a conference. The facilities didn't disappointed, the room was spacious and had everything a traveler could ask for. The hotel is centrally located and the Opera House is minutes away on foot. Overall, this hotel did not disappoint. If you are in town whether to get a cruise or to check out the sights, this is the place to stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott five nights before our cruise. It was a five minute walk to the Overseas Terminal. No steps and one street to cross. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful.
Had a city view, nice view of the city. Updated room excellent condition and a great bathroom. Ate breakfast at the lobby bar 4 of the 5 mornings. The breakfast sandwiches were very good. Ate at the morning buffet once was not impressed. Was not worth the price. The concierge booked a excellent tour of Hunter Valley. He was very helpful. Easy walk to anywhere in the CBD. City buses are one block away. The Rocks were two blocks away. Took the train from the airport to Circular Quay for 14.00 dollars each. It was a 6 or 7 minute walk to the hotel. When we go back to Sydney this is the hotel we will stay at. It was 5 star.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in June, perfect location, very good breakfast, ate at the restaurant one night and I had the seafood buffet , which was good, the staff were all polite and the service was good in general and what you would expect from Marriot. all in all a very good experience and I would recommend to anyone who wants to explore Sydney on a short break.

Room Tip: Try and choose a room with a harbour view, one on the top floors...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've been here three times already for different occasion

Each time has been great experience. The service was amazing, the staff were friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was absolute yummy.

It was definitely worth my $$$

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wickham, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Right from the start we got a great feeling about this hotel. We booked the hotel for 2 nights to celebrate my birthday and now we don't want to stay anywhere else!

We arrived to valet staff with friendly smiles and quick service and bellboys offering to take our bags for us. We only had a small suitcase and a garment bag so we politely declined but it was nice to have been asked straight away!

The Lobby was beautiful and check in was easy and actually enjoyable. There were a few people in line but they clearly had as many staff as practical and they were doing their best to get everyone served without making the guests feel rushed. We were asked during our check in whether we were here for a special occasion and when we told her it was my birthday she gave me a very cheery happy birthday and soon after gave us 2 vouchers for free drinks at the bar as her birthday gift. She was very patient when I realised I hadn't transferred our booking fee in to the right account (thankfully there was no one waiting behind us... how embaressing!!) and didn't make me feel silly at all! She explained that as we were a Marriott member we would get free wi-fi (sign up, seriously, it's free and you can do it before you book online) and asked if we had booked anywhere for dinner yet as they could recommend some great places and book them for us if we'd like! In the end we were told our floor and room number, asked how many keys we would need and directed towards the elevator.

The room was absolutely perfect. We were on the 27th floor right at the end in a King Bridge View room and to walk in I was so pleased! You walk in to a small corridor with the bathroom on your left and a small walk way to the right leading towards the main part of the room. The curtains were open giving the full effect of the view. I imagine this would be incredible in an Opera House facing room but I was overjoyed at what we had! The room is larger than other hotels we have stayed at in the past, perfectly clean and quite well equipped! There is a huge king bed with an ipod dock next to it for those of you with ipods. The TV is set neatly in to the wall and is a reasonable size given that you don't typically stay at a hotel to watch TV. It looks like you can plug a laptop or dvd player in to the TV as well! You could sit on the window ledge and look out at The Rocks, the Bridge, Luna park and a few buildings/busy streets.

Our package included 2 bottles of wine and a gift pack which was delivered just after 5 (I was told this is when they started these particular deliveries) and being from the Hunter Valley I was impressed at the quality of the wine. We received De Bortoli wines, a sem chard and a cab sav and they were quite nice! The pack consisted of a Morrisey toiletries pack including a loufa, shower products, moisturiser etc and it was all quite nice :)

I always check on the 24 hour room service menu for an easy, inexpensive midnight snack like chips or wedges and not many hotels offer this, however the Marriott offers both! At $8 a plate it's fairly standard for room service prices and had we not eaten so much at our amazing restaurants we would have gladly paid the price! There's even a room service button on the phone and they answer you by name... not even the 4.5* hotel I used to work in had that feature!

The only minor complaint about the room would be that you had to take out the mini bar stock in order to fit any of your own drinks in and with a nice bottle of white to drink it was necessary in our case.. but really that's not much of an issue given the quality of the rest of our stay.

The bathroom was clean with a large walk in shower which had easily the best water pressure I've had in a city hotel ever. It was actually nice to shower in!

We also had buffet breakfast included in our package and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. There's an absolute abundance of food and it's all so fresh! We were greeted by a lovely lady, seated and asked if we would like tea or coffee.. the coffee was great given that it was percolated coffee (you could get a latte/cap/whatever you wanted for a price). We didn't get down stairs until about 10am and the food was still hot, fresh and varied. You could get waffles, pancakes and eggs made to order with ever omelette ingredient you could imagine for you to pick from. I ordered a waffle and it was the size of my plate and absolutely DELICIOUS! Fruit was great, juice was cold and refreshing, large variety of cereals and pastries with gluten free and soy options available on the tables without having to ask!

I would like to give special mention to Ashlea in the AM food and beverage team, she was an absolute pleasure. She was turning over tables with speed and precision with not a drop left on any of the tables she set next to us. She was so polite and friendly, willing to help with any request she could including supplying me with a piece of scrap paper to scribble review notes on! What I loved most about her was when she saw a little boy around 4 years old sitting by himself she went to him and had a little chat to him before getting him a glass of juice while his dad was over getting breakfast. The father was so grateful and it was so refreshing to see someone willing to go out of their way to make EVERYONE in the room happy and comfortable rather than just those in expensive suits dishing out the tips. Ashlea really lit up the room on a rainy day and it was absolutely wonderful to see.

The rest of our stay was perfect! I wanted to take the bed and bedding home with me it was SO comfortable, the bar was GREAT for pre dinner drinks (Try the toblerone and I think it was called the cookie monster? Not the mocktail milk drink but the other one... DELICIOUS) if not a little pricey at $20 a cocktail..

We checked out the Gym/health club and it was by far the best hotel gym I've ever seen. It was a full gym with free weights, bench, squat rack smith machine... everything you could possibly need in a gym they had. The pool was beautiful and the spa was PERFECT after a long day walking around in the cold rain! The only thing I found odd was the separate men's/women's saunas but that might just be me!

The stay was well worth every cent we spent and we will DEFINITELY be returning to this and other hotels in the Marriott chain and really cannot wait to do so!

Thank you Marriott Sydney for helping to make my weekend one of the best in my life!

Room Tip: Definitely go for a room with a view and try and get a higher floor. I think we will be going for an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Babblez
Jennifer B, General Manager at Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Babblez,
I am extremely pleased to learn that we are able to deliver a distinctive service that Marriott is so renowned for and the team will be thrilled to know they had made your stay in Sydney a delight. Thank you for your detailed review and for choosing to stay at Sydney Harbour Marriott. We look forward to be of continued service to you in the future!
UK
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Waking up in the morning, opening the curtains and seeing the Bridge is great. A 3 minute stroll to harbour quay to see the Opera house. Great location

Very helpful staff. We arrived early without an early check in but no problem at all - great service. Would not consider any other hotel in Sydney as a tourist.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking at the bridge
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2013

When booking the hotel, I requested a harbour bridge view room. When I arrived and checked in I forgot to ask about the room with a view. They gave me my room key and did not ask if I was a rewards member and did not give me the wifi key or the free beverage card. I had to ask for it after the fact. When I got to the room, I had a view of a building. I called to ask about getting a bridge view and the guy said only if I paid an extra $60 per night and i should have the nice city view room. Haha, i told him it was a view of a building and he did not seem to agree with me. I guess a silver member does not mean anything and you have to be a gold member to get anything. But, nonetheless, I did not complain. Then I found out the safe didn't work the next day so I could not use it the whole week. I did say anything because I did not feel like packing everything up and unpacking again to go to a different room at that time.
Me and my coworkers ate at the Buffett in the restaurant one evening all three of us did not care for the food. It was not very fresh or very good. Then when we paid our bill they did not ask if we were guests at the hotel and never offered for us to use our room coupons (which at the time, we did not know about them). We also did not get the Champagne that all the other guests were getting when they were checking in. When checking out, they never asked how my stay was; a guy just gave me my receipt and saId have a nice day. I have been to many Marriott's all over and this one was probably my least favorite when it comes to customer service, even out of all the smaller chains. I have had way better customer service. The location was great though and the rooms nice. The owner of the gift shop was nice and kept offering discounts.
These new modern showers with the half glass across them, allow water to leak onto the floor too much. This could cause a problem later on when guests are spraying water outside of the showers. It does happen unless you put the shower head down.
If I were to go back to Sydney, I would try a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dawn H
Dear Dawn H,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay. I am disappointed to note of the shortfalls you had outlined. Please rest assured that I will utilise your feedback for review and improvement of our product and services. The complete comfort and satisfaction of all our guests is always our priority and it is always our intention to ensure that every guest receives the true “Marriott” experience, and I am sorry that on this occasion, your expectations were not met. I hope to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves from this less than perfect experience.