“great location”

Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Queensland
“great location”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, I was going to a concert at the Opera House and wanted to be able to walk to and from the concert. I have stayed at 5star hotels overseas and this was disappointing, the room was clean and comfortable, the bed was really comfortable but the pillows were the worst I have ever slept on. When I checked out the receptionist asked about my stay and I mentioned the pillows, she told me the book was in a draw that I could have read about ordering more pillows, I have never had to rummage through draws in a hotel before to find information on what was available. In my opinion this hotel is on a par with Novotel and Mercure, not worth the extra money, unless you want the location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 20, 2012

For a 5 star hotel, you'd expect the rooms to be top-notch; this wasn't the case for us. Having that said, location and hotel staff makes up for it.

Room: Opera House-view
Pros(+):
+ Complementary internet w/ Marriott Rewards Card member.
+ Rooms are very close by the elevator so minimal walking required.
+ Security cards required to access even the floor of your room; extra security in my mind.
Cons(-):
- View was only okay. The Opera House is in view, but the angle is not ideal for any sort of picture taking. Haven't seen the city side view to compare.
- The most noticeable area that needs work is the bathroom. Floor between room vs bathroom is uneven by over 1". I kicked on the uneven floor in more than one occasion. Noticeable corrosion on the shower tiles.
- Key cards did not work on 1st or '2nd' try. On 2nd try they told me to call from the floor phone if it did not work again...floor phone did not work, so I had to go back down. 3rd try they had someone escort me up to make sure it works, it didn't. They let me in using a master key and the escort went down for me to get me some working cards. Service is there, but things just don't work. Unbelievable.

Service:
+ Helpful staff and concierge. Allowed me to use their computer to print out plane itinery.
+ Got a complementary upgrade from city view to opera-house view w/o asking. Nice!

Despite many things not working, the location and helpful staff does make me feel that this place is 'almost' worth staying at. I've been to other 5-star hotels in places like LasVegas Wynn or LasVegas Trump, and this place is not on par, room-wise. Service-wise they are there...they just need to update their rooms!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana Point, California
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We ended our month in AU at the Marriott, and after a number of days in the outback, nothing beats a room (and bed!) at a Marriott! The hotel is just perfect; the room was nice, we had a view of the opera house and bridge. Staying on points, we visited the Exec Lounge at night and made many new friends of other travellers. Good location, can walk in any direction to restaurants, shops, the Rocks, the Harbor. So enjoyed our stay! Thanks, Marriott!

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2012

First, I must admit we are at the Platinum Award Level with Marriott, so we usually stay at Marriott properties. It could be that some of the special service we received was because of that award level. We arrived early morning from L.A. and, although our room wasn't yet available, they gave us access to the Crew Lounge where we could wash up (even shower!), have a coffee, and get organized for the day. We walked around the Botanic Garden, toured the Opera House, and our room was ready, as promised. Tipping is not required in Australia, but the service was as good or better than in the states when a person is "working" for a tip. The location of this property could NOT be better--only about 2 blocks from the Harbour, a few more blocks to the famous Bridge, and equally close to the Rocks area, the Botanic Garden, and the Opera House. We walked everywhere from here except Darling Harbour, where we hiked on up Pitt Street to get the monorail. The Concierge, the front desk, the Bellmen--all were so friendly and helpful. Every time we asked for directions, they gave us a map--we must have ended up with six maps! I highly recommend this Marriott, and I noticed it recently got higher ratings than the Sydney Four Seasons in a local travel magazine. Go there--you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: We had a Harbour View/Opera House view the first time we were there, which was very nice but pricey...
High River, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This hotel is in a great location in Sydney within easy walking distance of major attractions, shopping and restaurants. Hotel was well maintained, staff was friendly and helpful and our room was spotless. We booked a room and breakfast package and the breakfast buffet was amazing. Great selection of everything as well as a hot bar for freshly made, pancakes, waffles, omelets, etc. On Sundays it turns into a full brunch buffet. We had requested an early check-in when booking but due to the hotel being booked to capacity the night before they were still cleaning rooms when we arrived. They were more than happy to hold our luggage so we could go explore the city and got us into a room as quickly as they could and had our luggage delivered immediately.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

You know what you are going to get with Marriott, which is why I often stay at Marriott hotels on business trips. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, close to transportation at circular quay. Only knock is that the "free WIFI" was really slow, I had to upgrade to the high speed access.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank fetcher9
Chicago
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This facility is average for big brand hotels but the location is great. If you want to stay next to Circular Quay. On the other hand if you don't need to stay in this area I would look around for a more interesting place to stay. The restaurant was average, room service was good. The main annoyance was the elevators were slow and didn't want to read the room cards. Almost everyone had problems getting the elevator to recognize the room key card. Concierges and staff were friendly. Executive room had a decent view.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business