“The presidential suite is stunning. Felt like a princess there.”

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
Ranked #36 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“The presidential suite is stunning. Felt like a princess there.”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay on the weekend - in their presidential suite. The suite was absolutely stunning with gorgeous views of the Opera House. It had 2 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, one of which had a spa bath. It was decorated in warm browns and bright yellows with splashes of red. Walking in the door, you have the large loungeroom on the left, complete with a sizable plasma screen tv. The dining room, kitchen and first bathroom are to the right. Walking up the stairs you find the second bathroom on your right and the two bedrooms to your left - spare (with 2 queen beds) and master bedroom - with king size bed, walk-through closet and master bathroom with spa. The suite is literally fit for a President, and I felt like a princess staying there.
The Marriott also has a gym and pool/spa on the 4th floor. Both the gym and the pool are small but clean. And the spa is large, but requires a degree to turn on (it's not as simple as pushing 1 button).
The Marriott's buffet breakfast is delicious and provides a great variety of hot and cold food.
The only down side to the Marriott is the customer service. The room service food is good, but they got our order wrong (chicken instead of fish) and kept knocking on the door when they were told to simply enter. The parking attendants are also careless - I had my hands free cord ripped apart.
Overall, I would give the suite 10/10, and customer service 5/10. If you are going to stay there, I recommend getting there by public transport to avoid the parking costs ($45 day) and damage risk.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fitnessbabe2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I was not impressed with this Marriott and expected more from a highly priced hotel in a pique tourist area such as Sydney Harbour. When I first arrived they informed me that their executive club was under renovation and an area was designated on the second floor for us to use. This was not good for me since I was traveling with 4 other business colleagues and we needed an area to convene. We were allowed to use the business conference center but it was a mess. Soiled table, used coffee cups, water bottles were strewn about. They have renovated their rooms in a minimalist, modern style which, in my opinion, was not very comfortable or inviting. Yes, you get a beautiful view of Sydney Bridge but a view without a comfortable room isn't ideal. No bathtubs in the bathroom, just showers. Wireless worked only sometimes. Wired LAN connection was broken. When I called to have it fixed I was directed to a third party customer service group who informed me it was my computer that was the problem! I knew this was not the case since I was able to connect wirelessly all week in other places. The breakfast buffet was the usual spread of fruits, cereals, eggs, meats, cheeses, cooked to order eggs and was very pricey at 34 SYD. The lounge closes at 11pm which was unfortunate. We all wanted to socialize for another 30 minutes and have a nightcap after a lovely dinner and we were told to go to a bar around the corner. Not something we wanted to do so we ended up retiring early. The exercise facility is very good and open 24 hours. The concierges were very helpful and always very busy between the 3-7pm timeframe. So, it's best to approach them in the morning or early afternoon when you don't have to compete for their time. Bottom line, I expect much better customer orientation for a high end hotel, charging high rates than what I got. Would I go back to this Marriott? Probably since I have a huge loyalty to Marriott. But a few more of these experiences and I'll be frequenting the Hilton chain or some other hotel chain.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank worldtraveler4971
US
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We normally steer clear of the big chains, but this was in a package deal and we had a nice stay. Very friendly service from all at the hotel. They didn't have much to offer as far as interesting dining advice, though. All were very safe choices - their clientele must not be very adventurous eaters. Speaking of which, the restaurant was very pricey and food appeared dull, so we always ate elsewhere. Nice fitness center with a hot tub.

Our room had an Opera House view - others may also be able to see the bridge - I'm not sure about the higher-end rooms. Room was spacious with a nice bathroom and comfy bed. A little short on drawer space, but that's a tiny complaint.

It's on prime touristic real estate, which is good and bad. But when you want to escape that area, all the buses, ferries and trains are just outside. Very easy to get to and from the airport.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xeno111
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Come on, Marriott. This is your flagship property in one of the world's great ports, and this is all that you can come up with?

My feelings about this hotel were pretty mixed. Nothing was wrong, per se -- I had a pretty standard Marriott room with a very comfortable bed. Service wasn't spectacular (by any stretch), but it wasn't horrible. Meals were impressive. But overall there's a sense of disappointment because this Marriott might as well have been located at the Cleveland airport. It just wasn't very special, and it's in a pretty special place.

I think it might be getting better. The hotel is in the midst of a major renovation, and perhaps that renovation will add a big dose of much-needed style. I was in a renovated guest room, and I thought that it was fine -- tasteful (if bland) decor, some nice touches. It also had some irritating touches, though -- a small bathroom with shower only that had a piece of glass that wasn't long enough to stop shower water from going all over the bathroom floor, a bright florescent light underneath the dresser that didn't turn off (requiring me to stuff a pillow in front of it to make the room dark for sleep), an extremely small closet and relatively small desk. The public spaces need major attention, though -- the lobby is very standard-issue Marriott (with a 1990s-feeling gold and marble decor and very poor light) and the restaurant was decorated like a corporate cafeteria. The hotel has a decent gym -- relatively small with low ceilings, but good equipment.

Service was decent, but not spectacular. Check-in and out were fine. I was a little annoyed with housekeeping, simply because as early as 8:30a during my stay, the housekeeper slid a card under my door saying she'd been by to clean the room and wouldn't be doing so since the do-not-disurb sign was on. That was easily remedied by calling the front desk and requesting cleaning, which did happen, but I thought it was a little obnoxious -- I can understand those card going under a door if it's noon and you're still in your room, but putting it under the door at 8:30a makes it seem like they're trying to avoid work. Telephone service was slow -- every time I called the desk I was on hold multiple minutes before being connected with an operator. Service in the restaurant (where I had breakfast each day and dinner once) was okay -- you basically got seated and were given coffee then ignored while you went to the buffet. On the Sunday morning of my stay the breakfast service was poor -- there was a 15-minute line to be seated, and upon being seated there were multiple empty tables that hadn't been cleared of dirty dishes. The buffet itself was quite ample.

The hotel's location is superb -- right at Circular Quay, steps away from the train station and harbour ferries, Opera House, Harbour Bridge, etc.

Overall, I wouldn't avoid this hotel if the rate were right, but I'll definitely check-out other options in Sydney before returning.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank brmusicman
Kinsale, Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Stayed here for over 3 weeks while on business. The location is perfect in that it just around the corner from Circular Quay and at the end of the CBD...the area can get very quiet at weekends but you are so near transport to get out and about, its not an issue. I stayed in one of the newly decorated rooms with a view of the bridge and it was comfortable...bed was comfy - perhaps lacking in some storage when you are around for longer than a few days. Has a good gym and spa is good if not expensive; $70 for a pedicure as an example: a little steep given that I got another very good one about 5 mins walk about for half that so worth shopping around for spa treatments...the pool is lacking in any ambience in that it is inside a glass window with nothing to look at and you wouldnt be enticed to stay there. Mini bar food very expensive: there are mini shops across the road but they are equally expensive ($7 for small water and banana!) so if you are looking for snacks suggest a quick trip to Woolworths or somewhere to stock up. Food isnt bad is in the bar: ate in the restaurant only once and food was ok but not good enough for what you pay. bar staff very friendly as well as Adriana in the Spa. My main issues with this place is that it is souless but i suppose you can expect this from every large hotel chain in major cities: However after 3 weeks staying there I would still arrive to reception desk and would get looks like it was the first time they ever saw me. In addition, I would question cleaning standards to an extent....I tended to notice that they would hoover around things as opposed to picking them up: and tidy away paper wrappers plus the bathroom sink never seemed like it was really cleaned and empty shower gels would be left in the shower every day. When i called to complain and ask about the standards, I was advised they would advise the Housekeeping manager and ensure it didnt happen in the future..but nothing changed. I also did get to the Exec lounge on one evening and the toilet there was so dirty I refused to use it - I did advise the staff again on that occasion...taking short cuts regarding cleaning is a major faux pas in my opinion but am wondering if this is the norm as when I moved to an apartnment, I experienced the same 'cleaning' issues. Overall I would stay again but there are nicer places to rest your head. Internet was extra! For what i paid (company rate) I think it was good value but not worth more than that

Room Tip: Opera House View, bridge View
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed May 26, 2011

It was mothers day weekend, and my mum was visiting so we decided to head to Sydney for the weekend. We stayed at the Marriott for 2 nights. From the moment I entered the hotel, I was impressed. The person who greeted us as we got off the taxi was pleasant and greeted us with a smile. I had my fingers crossed and was hoping we would be able to check in (it was only 9am), the person at the reception was pleasant and had a room ready for us, just as we had requested. We had asked for a higher floor, 2 double beds, 3 towels and an early checkin. Everything was exact.

You couldn't get a better hotel closer to Circular Quay, a taxi stand, the circular quay train station, the ferries, bars & coffee shops were all close by.

We enjoyed our refurbished rooms, and every moment we spent at the hotel. It truly was a five star experience.

Room Tip: Let your requirements known!
  • Stayed May 2011
Virginia Beach
Reviewed May 24, 2011

As I said in my title this review is a little difficult to write. Overall the hotel was great but I did have one issue that for me was major.

Let's start with the positive:

1. you can't ask for a better location
2. The concierge was very helpful
3. The bell staff, the restaurant staff, and the man in the gift shop were very friendly and personable
4. The breakfast buffet was great
5. Dinner in the dining room and room service was also great
6. The room and bathroom were clean and newly renovated
7. The hotel was very quiet
8. The view from my room overlooked the harbor Opera house

Here are three slightly negative things:

1. There is very little storage in these rooms. There is only one closet and it is on the small side. There was only one drawer that was usable.
2. We could not regulate the temperature in the room. The thermostat would not adjust.
3. The safe did not work.
In fairness to the hotel we did not say anything to the staff about the thermostat or the safe so these items might have been easily remedied. Even without them working properly they didn't really affect our stay.

Now for the one negative item:

When I booked the hotel (through a travel agent who used a travel booking agency) I booked a wheelchair accessible room. When I got to the hotel they did not have me in a wheelchair accessible room. When the woman at the desk tried to change my reservation to wheelchair accessible room she discovered she could not do this because the floor on which the wheelchair accessible rooms are located was shut down for the week I was there due to renovations. No one had informed the booking agency that the wheelchair accessible room would not be available for the week I was going to be staying there. Even though the agency had reconfirmed my room a week prior to my arrival. To compensate me they moved me to a Opera house view suite. The room itself was great and is wheelchair accessible except for the bathroom. It made for an awkward three days using their bathroom. On the third day evening they installed a hand-held shower hose on the sink which made washing so much easier. To compensate me for their mistake they did reimburse me for my dinner meals and for two nights of my stay. They did not reimburse me for my breakfast because that was included in my hotel room rate. In my opinion the upgraded room, reimbursement, and the installation of the shower hose was adequate compensation and if I go back to Sydney I will have no problem staying at the Marriott again. I will just be much more vigilant about double checking that my room is wheelchair accessible.
I recommend to all those who require wheelchair accessible rooms to check several times with your hotel to make sure that the room they have you booked in is wheelchair accessible.

Overall the Marriott is a great hotel. The public areas are wheelchair accessible. I cannot comment on the accessibility of the rooms because as I stated above I did not stay in one.

• Stayed April 2011