“Large Room”

Pullman Sydney Hyde Park
Ranked #67 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was our third hotel in Sydney this week, the first two were great, so the Pullman had a lot to live up to! Breakfast was excellent, I was a bit worried after reading previous reviews, but we really couldn't fault it. The room and bathroom were very large, plenty of space, lounge, chairs, desk, etc. this wasn't the quietest hotel - the doors do not close quietly, so every time someone leaves their room the door seems to be slammed shut! Check in and out was quick enough considering the time of day and holiday season. Location was great for access to the airport train at Museum station. Would stay again, but wouldn't be my first choice when next visiting Sydney.

Room Tip: View of Hyde Park was pleasant.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 30, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We got the mystery deal at Wotif.com and we were pleasantly surprised that we got the Pullman Sydney @ Hyde Park (my detective skills were spot on the money!).

Unfortunately due to the conditions of my Wotif booking, the bedding arrangement couldn't be guaranteed and had to fork out an additional $40 a night in order to secure the two double beds for my stay of 5 nights :(

However upon check-in, the front desk managed to arrange for a high-floor room overlooking Hyde Park, which offered a great view of the ANZAC war memorial.

The room was very SPACIOUS and contained all the basic and extra amenities that is expected of a hotel like this. No complains there. The room safe, electric kettle, tea and coffee, mini-bar, hairdryer are all available in the room. My rate came with breakfast but I didn't go - so can't comment on that :)

Some parts of the room looks a little dated (just some) but overall the room was very comfy - and the bed felt luxurious. The toilet was also huge by most standards, so no complains there either :)

There's a small gym and a small jacuzzi at the top floor of the hotel. There's a small sauna room and the outdoor pool on the same level as well.

Overall we had a pleasant stay at the hotel with this great mystery deal from Wotif, and special thanks to Mr Luke who helped to look and attending to all of our luggages :)

Pros: Great big and spacious rooms, comfy feel. Great location next to the Australian Museum, Hyde Park, Oxford Street and within short walking distance from the Museum railway station (that goes to Circular Quay).

Cons: Nothing really.

Tips: Get a room on a high floor overlooking the park. A room away from the lift would be good as well :)

Room Tip: High floor, overlooking Hyde Park. Away from the elevators :)
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We received the first stay as a gift from my parents and were so impressed we went back again twice.

We love the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park cause as we travel with a child (now 8 but 1st time was 5) the staff are very accommodating, friendly and helpful even toward our son. for a 5 star our son is treated as a guest as well as us not an inconvenience, they even gave him treats on our 3rd stay. Breakfast is FANTASTIC and could eat there everyday. I have to say the gym is not to my liking but gyms are a very personal thing (at least they have one).

WE ALL LOVE PULLMAN HYDE PARK and would not stay anywhere else when in Sydney.

THANKYOU Pullman for making our stays so enjoyable and including our sons as a guest so many 5 stars don't do that.

Room Tip: go above level 8 to get a microwave in your room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel is modern and chic but is still functional and comfortable. The room we stayed in is clean, fresh, and well presented. It has all the necessary conveniences including in room safe, ironing board, hair dryer and internet cable. We had some minor issues with internet access and wrong billing. We tried many times but couldn't get wi fi to work (as my wife was using an iPad). There was some expenses which had been incorrectly billed. The staff was helpful and attentive but it took a few days and many trips to the front desks to sort out as there might have been a glitch with the internal messaging. However, I was able to detect the incorrect billings and sought clarification early because I was able to view the invoices on the TV daily. In the end, all was sorted out and we have enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have nice view of Hyde Park while those on the East have views of the inner E...
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Its a case of expectation not meeting reality. Found the hotel check in to be very very slow and was check out. Seems to be a franchise focused on cost management rather than service delivery. The breakfast were good, we had a suite on the upper floors, but these were small with some older damaged décor. The club lounge was opened reluctantly and certainly was not promoted. Service was crisp and inconsistent.

Room Tip: Get a high floor overlooking Hyde Park.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I recently enjoyed a single night's family stay (with an infant) in Sydney at the Pullman Hyde Park during the Christmas period 2013.

My first experience was with the helpful reception staff about a day prior to my stay when I called up to confirm a cot (for the baby) had been provided in the room as requested (and initially confirmed) when I made the booking about 2 months earlier. It seemed that the reception staff had no record of my earlier request (glad I checked) but were happy to provide a cot. They even suggested that housekeeping could have it set-up in the room when we arrived, which made me very happy as we were due to arrive right on nap time.

I also asked, with no expectation, if the room would be ready around 12:30pm (this is about 90 mins before standard check-in time) because this would be when we were due to arrive in Sydney. No guarantees but reception would "see what they could do upon check-in". Great, all that could be expected.

At check-in a room was available but, as I had guessed, this meant the cot would need to be allocated - no problem, I was just glad to have the room available. As it happened, I had to chase the cot twice more and it eventually appeared when we were returned to the room at about 4pm. Ok, it was a bit late but I was glad to have it and glad someone had set it up for us.

Also at check-in I requested internet access and was quoted paid rates. I pointed out my Accor status and another reception staff member had to step-in as the person assisting me seemed not to recognize that my status provided free internet. Further to the Accor status issue, we took the complimentary welcome drink in the bar later that afternoon but later found out that we had been charged for it. This was not surprising as I have found recognition of Accor status to be infrequent at best in many Accor properties in Australia.

The room was nice, we had an upper floor and with the insulation (double glazing I think) there was no street/city noise at all. Room was a little small with the cot taking up some room but it was a mid-range room so that was not unexpected.

The location is excellent, on the edge of the CBD (so a bit of a walk to Circular Quay / Darling Harbour for touristy sights) but also close to the restaurants and bars of Darlinghurst.

Overall, a good stay and I was impressed with the helpful staff (Accor recognition aside). The room rate was as expected for this type of property in a central Sydney location. Parking was, again not unexpectedly, very pricey at $45 per night which is ok for a weekday in Sydney CBD but outrageous for a weekend (when I stayed) - the public car park a block away had $7 per day parking but we decided for simplicity as we were travelling with the baby.

Room Tip: Good insulation meant that we could hear no city noise at all.