“Good hotel, pity about the service and especially staff”

Pullman Sydney Hyde Park
Ranked #69 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We booked this hotel as an Accor Platinum Card holder. We arrived mid morning and at check in the Registration Desk staff did not even acknowledge the fact of my Accor Membership. (By the way they do have an Accor Club Membership desk but there was no one there and we never saw any person behind the counter. We were then told that our room wasn't ready however if we paid $120.00 we could be found a room on the executive floor. When I asked about the availability of the expected upgrade due to my platinum membership I was told that the upgrade is based on availability. I asked that an executive room was available if we paid $120 but otherwise it was occupied. The receptionist was taken aback at this "revelation". After mucking around for about 30 minutes she stated that she had to talk to her supervisor. When I asked her to look up the benefits of Accor Platinum membership she still insisted that she had to find out from her boss!. Eventually she came back saying the upgrade was available but not necessarily the type of bed we had requested at the time of booking. However we accepted the upgrade. We were still told that the "new room" would not be available until after 2:00 pm. When we returned in the evening we got to the room, it was adequate is all I can say. However part of Accor Platinum benefits include a Gift in the room and a complimentary drink. Neither of these were provided. Upon enquiring about this the receptionist although apologetic said he had to get the manager. Well that was another story. My wife had to go over the situation all over again. At this point the manager on the phone became almost abusive. He stated that Pullman Hotels do not upgrade rooms for Accor Platinum Card holders and that only Sofitel does. Upon informing him that 5 minutes previously I had checked on the website and what I said was correct he stated that we were on the wrong website and we were looking the wrong way and that Pullman hotels did not upgrade, did not give Gifts and did not give drinks vouchers. I became quite abusive on the phone. I took my ipad with Accor website page with me to the receptioon and asked to speak to the manager. He came out and almost immediately became almost abusive with a phony smirk on his face as if he was making a mockery of it all. When I asked him to explain why he said what he did about Accor Platinum Card benefits at Pullman he stated that the reception was not the place to discuss these matters. Overall extremely rude Manager.

3  Thank Eaa1947
AccorPHGM1, General Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear eaa1947,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We very much appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually review and improve our service and facilities.

We were most concerned to hear of your comments in relation to the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park. Please accept our sincere apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations.

Traveller, we would like to discuss your stay in further detail with you and ask that you contact our Rooms Division Manager, Stephan Leroy on +61 2 9361 8474 or email h8763-rd@accor.com so that we may complete a thorough investigation to ensure that the matters brought to our attention do not occur in the future.

Whilst we cannot turn back the clock on your experience, we certainly value your patronage and would love to welcome you back when you are next traveling to Sydney so that we may have an opportunity to provide the service and standard in which we pride ourselves and one would expect from Pullman.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we hope to speak with you soon.

Kind regards
Lorraine Mercuri
Pullman Sydney Hyde Park

Reviewed September 17, 2013

1  Thank Benita G
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights while I attended a seminar. I booked a great deal through Adv Plus in an Executive room for around 50% of the usual price. Our room was on the 21st floor overlooking Hyde Park, great view, quiet, good black out curtains. The room was modest in size but well appointed. The bathroom was beautiful, the best I have seen in a hotel for some time. The shower is over a large corner bath with decent rails to hold on to getting in and out. I had a couple of concerns related to the cleaning of the room which were addressed quickly and appropriately. The Executive lounge was fantastic with excellent staff, nice food and a welcome glass of wine in the evening. On our first night we had room service which was more than acceptable in quality and price. I purchased 24 hour of movie access for my daughter for $34.95. I thought that was a bit steep in comparison to other hotels and I didn't think the range of titles was that exciting. On our second night we walked to Darling Harbour which was an easy 10 to 15 minute walk. Overall very acceptable stay, no doubt colored by the great deal but I would definitely stay again. By the way, the gym looked excellent, the spa is indoors and the pool outdoors on the roof.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We love to stayed again in Pullman Sydney Hype Park which is the best location it takes 10 minutes walk to the CBD shopping and the customer service was amazing very friendly and good service. I love that it is so clean and comfortable to stay in.

1  Thank JTM222