“Handy to Oxford Street, Nice View”

Pullman Sydney Hyde Park
Ranked #70 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Met my friends to have a night on the Town and decided to stay here as we got a good deal on Wotif.com. It was quite nice with clean rooms and great views. Because of the bargain on the rate we got a room that had not been renovated yet, although it was still good anyway. Hotel is across the road from Hyde Park, so a nice walk across the park to the CBD but just around the corner from Oxford Street which is lined with decent restaurants and bars that are less expensive than the CBD ones. Ideal place to stay for events like Mardi Gras and close to the Australian Museum, St Mary's Cathedral, The Anzac Memorial and Sydney Grammar School. Closest Cityrail Station is Museum.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeni M

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights while attending a conference. It was one of the hotel options in the conference package. I chose it for location, close to the conference, though with some doubts as I had stayed here as the Sydney Marriott a few years ago and found it tired.

The hotel has been brightly refurbished and I had a really spacious room on level 15 overlooking Hyde Park. This was one of those two queen size beds in one room layouts (I never really understand that) but even with two beds the room was spacious and comfortable. The bathrooms have obviously been refurbished and mine was also a good size with a large corner bath with shower over.

I didn't draw on the hotel facilities much but the staff at reception and at the concierge desk were attentive, friendly and efficient. I also used the small bar, off of reception, for a drink and service was again very good. Excellent service.

The room included a good sized wall safe capable of taking a full size laptop which is good. WiFi is subject to charge and while I didn't need it because I have a WiFi modem it frustrates me that Sydney hotels typically charge for WiFi whereas smaller establishments around the country and in many locations overseas provide this service for free.

The rooms were quiet, the bed comfortable and the airconditioning worked well.

I paid $255 per night for my 3 nights and based on this, having regard to other rates being charged around town for the same period the Pullman was VERY Good value for money.

MEAL TIP: For those not knowing the area and looking for an evening meal somewhere close ..... turn right out of the hotel front door, take the second right into Stanley Street and walk down it to the small group of restaurants just before Crown Street. Its a 6-8 minute walk. You will have a choice of Italian, Japanese, Portugese, Argentinian cuisines and more in a lively small street atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was hesitant about staying here, having read some of the feedback on the hotel and its staff but after my staff I'm wondering if I stayed in the same hotel?
Check-in staff were chirpy and very helpful.
Room was clean, quiet, modern and generally well-appointed. (Bed wasn't a double but still seemed small for a queen bed. Very comfy though) Toiletaries in the bathroom were lovely.
We had a city view (vs 'breath-taking' park view) but view of the city with water views from the 20th floor is still very nice!
Checkout queue was very long and after 10min I just used the self-checkout box.
All up not a bad stay.

Room Tip: Given the location, high floors or city-facing rooms may be quieter (but not an issue for us on our...
Reviewed March 17, 2013

great location and service, but the room did not meet my expectation, there were stains on the bench and the toilet has stains too, however very good view from the room i stay looking over the hyde park.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had a very pleasant time. Awesome view from our room. Amazing vista from the roof top terrace. Very friendly helpful staff. Great location heaps of bars and eateries just around the corner. Very close to city. Easy access.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
AccorPHGM1, General Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Sally B,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, the hotel, our team members and the location.

We hope to see you again soon when you next visit Sydney.

Have a lovely week ahead.

Kind regards
Lorraine Mercuri
Pullman Sydney Hyde Park

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Pullman on Hyde Park was close to the city and other attractions like the War Memorial, Australian Museum and the Art Gallery. It was a lovely hotel room overlooking the park with a huge bathroom. Due to business commitments, we didn't get a chance to check out all the services of the hotel but we enjoyed our stay. We would certainly choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 698Harman
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed at the Pullman on Monday 11 March 2013.
I received a renovated room (I think) with a nice king sized bed. The room was clean.
I rated it a 4 star at best due to the service offering and quality.

We arrived early and left our bags at concierge. At check-in, I requested for the bags to be brought up. Waited over half an hour with no bags in sight. I had to call reception to remind them and the bags then promptly arrived. 15 minutes later, just as I fell asleep, someone knocked on my door to check the mini-bar. What, really? You couldn't have checked it before I checked in? I also called ahead to ask for a cot for my baby with the booking. However, the cot was not set up. I called on the way home from dinner to confirm whether the cot was ready and the reception lady (very professional) advised she will get one set up immediately if it had not already been done. Service and follow through could definitely do with some polishing up. One thing I did love was the people on the phone. They were very prompt in meeting my expectations every time I called.

Some attention to detail would make this hotel a 5 star experience. It's a shame that I felt little disappointments during the stay that detracted from the experience such as -

Tea and coffee - Different teas would be nice - green tea perhaps? Only Harris tea was provided. Perhaps it's an Australian thing but most hotels in Asia Pacific provide at least 2 tea options and perhaps hot chocolate as well.

Face towels - Is it random to only offer 1 face towel in the bathroom? I also would've liked room slippers. I considered bringing my thongs but assumed a 5 star hotel would provide slippers. Such a shame as I do not really like to walk around in hotel rooms with my bare feet especially after a shower.

We were considered Novotel Darling Harbour as it was closer to the action but chose Pullman as it was a 5 star hotel (vs 4 star Novotel). In hindsight, I wished we booked the Novotel because at least we would've been closer to the fun. Hopefully after the renovations are over, they will look at the service and offerings and refresh them to a higher standard.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family