“Great ie Did I stay at the same hotel as everyone else?”

Pullman Sydney Hyde Park
Ranked #69 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was hesitant about staying here, having read some of the feedback on the hotel and its staff but after my staff I'm wondering if I stayed in the same hotel?
Check-in staff were chirpy and very helpful.
Room was clean, quiet, modern and generally well-appointed. (Bed wasn't a double but still seemed small for a queen bed. Very comfy though) Toiletaries in the bathroom were lovely.
We had a city view (vs 'breath-taking' park view) but view of the city with water views from the 20th floor is still very nice!
Checkout queue was very long and after 10min I just used the self-checkout box.
All up not a bad stay.

Room Tip: Given the location, high floors or city-facing rooms may be quieter (but not an issue for us on our...

Reviewed March 17, 2013

great location and service, but the room did not meet my expectation, there were stains on the bench and the toilet has stains too, however very good view from the room i stay looking over the hyde park.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had a very pleasant time. Awesome view from our room. Amazing vista from the roof top terrace. Very friendly helpful staff. Great location heaps of bars and eateries just around the corner. Very close to city. Easy access.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
AccorPHGM1, General Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Sally B,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, the hotel, our team members and the location.

We hope to see you again soon when you next visit Sydney.

Have a lovely week ahead.

Kind regards
Lorraine Mercuri
Pullman Sydney Hyde Park

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Pullman on Hyde Park was close to the city and other attractions like the War Memorial, Australian Museum and the Art Gallery. It was a lovely hotel room overlooking the park with a huge bathroom. Due to business commitments, we didn't get a chance to check out all the services of the hotel but we enjoyed our stay. We would certainly choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 698Harman
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed at the Pullman on Monday 11 March 2013.
I received a renovated room (I think) with a nice king sized bed. The room was clean.
I rated it a 4 star at best due to the service offering and quality.

We arrived early and left our bags at concierge. At check-in, I requested for the bags to be brought up. Waited over half an hour with no bags in sight. I had to call reception to remind them and the bags then promptly arrived. 15 minutes later, just as I fell asleep, someone knocked on my door to check the mini-bar. What, really? You couldn't have checked it before I checked in? I also called ahead to ask for a cot for my baby with the booking. However, the cot was not set up. I called on the way home from dinner to confirm whether the cot was ready and the reception lady (very professional) advised she will get one set up immediately if it had not already been done. Service and follow through could definitely do with some polishing up. One thing I did love was the people on the phone. They were very prompt in meeting my expectations every time I called.

Some attention to detail would make this hotel a 5 star experience. It's a shame that I felt little disappointments during the stay that detracted from the experience such as -

Tea and coffee - Different teas would be nice - green tea perhaps? Only Harris tea was provided. Perhaps it's an Australian thing but most hotels in Asia Pacific provide at least 2 tea options and perhaps hot chocolate as well.

Face towels - Is it random to only offer 1 face towel in the bathroom? I also would've liked room slippers. I considered bringing my thongs but assumed a 5 star hotel would provide slippers. Such a shame as I do not really like to walk around in hotel rooms with my bare feet especially after a shower.

We were considered Novotel Darling Harbour as it was closer to the action but chose Pullman as it was a 5 star hotel (vs 4 star Novotel). In hindsight, I wished we booked the Novotel because at least we would've been closer to the fun. Hopefully after the renovations are over, they will look at the service and offerings and refresh them to a higher standard.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had booked an executive room the day before we arrived in Sydney, as we were seeing our very first show at the Opera House, so I wanted something special for us. We normally stay at the Sofitel Wentworth in a club room (which was only $17 more on this occasion) and is true 5 star also as a gold member of Club we get an automatic upgrade, if available. However this time due to my boss’s high recommendation (for a standard room) of the Pullman Hyde Park we made our decision to stay here. What a big mistake that was.
After driving almost 4hrs we were a little tired and missed the very small and sign and narrow entrance to the hotel car park, between a pole and a wall. The fact the entrance was full of cars and a taxi rank outside did make it hard to spot, I thought you could access the car park entrance without the full fanfare of having to drive up to the front doors, of the hotel. So around the block we drove, again. Don't you just love Sydney traffic, but this time we got it, albeit a 20min wait in the front doors for some cars to move, just so we could get to the entrance of the car park. What, No Porter?
So up we go from the car park, to check in. I’m not sure if it was the fact we were tired after our long drive and looked like undesirables or if we weren't dressed in the correct attire to fit into a 5 star hotel, but we seem to get a very uncomfortable feeling from the staff, like we were being given the twice over. Very uncomfortable indeed! I knew what this was all about, after we had checked out.
The check in process was a little slow with and a lot of umming and erring. As a gold Club member the agent did their best to accommodate my request as per my profile, however we were that tired after the drive I just wanted a bed, besides my boss had informed me that it was a great hotel so anything will do, even if we did book an executive room, at this stage I'd be happy with a standard. The funny bit was we were given 2 drink vouchers to use in the lobby bar; however it didn't open until 3pm. Are we staying 5 star in Sydney? When we did finally go down to enjoy a drink before we headed off to the Opera House, the barman was not only unable to make a drink (we all know ice first) but was so rude he didn't even acknowledge my thanks for serving us. We didn't even bother going to use the Executive lounge (what a joke that is) for evening drinks and canapés. As a previous guest wrote "Executive Lounge was very disappointing..." That I think was an understatement. Just visit Pullman King Power Bangkok to see how a lounge should be, or go down the road and see the Sofitel. If you’re going to rebrand your hotel into a world known 5 star property in an International City, I recommend some re-training. The Hotel School is just down the road. Truly, I've had Ibis staff in third world countries that are more classy and professional that what we had experienced during our stay.
The Premier floor was looking very exciting as we had seen the pictures of the new Pullman ex-rooms, as well as the fact we had stopped on some floors on the way up in the lift and the hallways look very fresh and had a WOW factor. Our lift opens to our floor of dirty grey carpet, old paint and outdate fittings, the room was worse. Old 1970's timber fixtures which look like new modern bits had been added, an old couch that was dirty with hair and in urgent need of a vacuum, damp, mould and wall paint peeling off as next doors water taps where vibrating at a loud and rapid pace. At this point we didn't care we needed to sleep. We had been in the room for less than 2hrs and there was a knock at the door "mini-bar" before I could say "one moment please" the door was open and a young man was standing at our fridge, checking the mini-bar. Sorry but we were sleeping naked on the bed. After him asking me 3 times, (while I’m holding a pillow to cover myself) anything from mini-bar and saying No loudly, he got the hint. NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL.

Please understand management, that all this was all explained along with my disappointment as we checked out, and our only response was "ARE YOU SETTELING WITH THE SAME CREDIT CARD" from a very rude, unprofessional and uninterested female French agent. As the card was being processed I ask while the pictures where being displayed "what kind of room is that one" an Executive room Sir, was the reply. Upon further questions she told us we were in a Marriot Room, which could explain no compenduim or room service menu. So the fact we were placed in an outdate room while being a Gold A Club Member was the reason, I'm thinking and hoping for the uncomfortable feeling we got at check in. A very poor standard and not worthy of the Pullman Brand at all.
It should be noted this would have never happen at any other Accor Branded Hotel around the world nor would they be proud or even advertise the fact they have an Executive lounge like you offer, and to think my partner wanted to bring the Purple Pullman cocktail recipe from King Power to see if we could have it made. It seems consistency is a dirty word at Sydney Hyde Park!

3  Thank BaliTwo
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here using a membership discount the night before Mardi Gras (I can't really comment on value, as I didn't pay full rates). Most of the rooms face Hyde Park and have great views. It looks like rooms on the other side on higher floors also would have quite reasonable views. Pool and gym on the roof also have good views.

The room was comfortable, high definition TV but a few quirks from the renovation, such as visible cabling which I'd normally expect to be hidden behind furniture in a high-class hotel. The bathroom was well equipped with a great shower with a large bath.

Service was great, and breakfast was amazing - I was wondering how they'd top the Sydney Mercure breakfast, but they did.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Eugene H, Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Tropicalpenguin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and the views from the rooms and facilities. I am very pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy breakfast.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again to the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park.

Kind Regards,