“Better than expected”

Ranked #59 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Los Angeles, California
“Better than expected”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I must admit it was a little disappointing to arrive after 20 hours of travel time to a hotel under construction, so it took a day for this hotel to grow on me. After traveling throughout Australia and staying in many hotels, I felt the Pullman was definitely the best of the bunch.
Great location, nice gym, friendly staff, the room was big enough for all of our stuff, and it had a giant tub (even if the tile was tacky, but now I'm nitpicking). I don't think our room had been renovated yet, but it was nice enough. I wasn't disturbed by the work being done on the hotel, however it was somewhat inconvenient to have the lobby on the 2nd floor when schlepping bags.

Although it feels like a business hotel, I think it's fine for anyone. Luckily, we booked our room with the breakfast included, as it turns out Australia can be pricey for Americans. Normally, we're more adventurous with that kind of thing, but the breakfast buffet was really nice and the staff in the restaurant was lovely. We had ample opportunity to sample many of the restaurants in nearby Surry Hills.

Room Tip: Probably best to request a renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eugene H, Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park .

We are happy to see that you found our hotel comfortable, and enjoyed your stay with us.

We are also pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and all the facilities on offer.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park sometime in the future.

Eugene Human

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here on our first night in Sydney, arriving at 11pm in the dark! We were aware there were renovation works underway to some rooms and the lobby however the temporary lobby was really impressive so I can only imagine that the new lobby will be outstanding. The room was amazing - very modern and immaculately presented being newly renovated. The bathroom looks like the original so a bit dated but massive bath and still very very nice! We had a huge window in the room and upon waking up had the most amazing city and sea view that really took our breath away. The pool, gym and spa look as though they could do with a spruce up but still impressive with amazing views! You could hear some building noise in the day but we were out for most of it so made no issue for us at all. Cant wait to see the end result of this hotel and we will defiantly come back given the fantastic location and predicted finish!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Minirick,

Thank you for your recent review of Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, I hope we will see you again when you are next in Sydney.

Kind regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

this hotel is doing renovation during Australian day long weekend. It make aloud noise. I couldn't sleep at all. I have complain to hotel a few times. they changed my oom from lower floor to higher flood. but it is still same. and they keep telling me ask them stop it but renovation has never stopped. then they said to me they can change me back to lower floor. if the renovation doesn't stop what's the point i change back to lower floor?they only offter me one chocolate for this. they said me I can get half price breakfast but actually they only give 25% off. when i changed room from lower floor to higher floor I forget my tooth brush and I asked them take my tooth brush back to me. they told me they couldn't find house keeping has throwed away. when I check out, I still pay full price. I won't stay this hotel again. No way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank luckyian168
Dear Luckyian168,

Thank you for your recent comments on TripAdvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during the outlined incident.

All public area refurbishment work has now been completed, I hope we will see you again in the future.

Kind regards
Milan, Italy
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We might have visited on the tail end of the renovations so many of the concerns expressed by other reviewers seem to have been resolved. We found the check-in/out process hassle-free, with the help of friendly staff. We had a nice room with a wonderful view of the park. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bathroom very spacious which always helps with the little ones. We didn't have a chance to try the food as we only stayed for one night. We were happy with our stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife booked us in for 2 nights based on the Pullman's location without reading any reviews - after reading some of the reviews here I was mildly concerned. Firstly - there are indeed major renovations in progress so I requested a renovated room which was not a problem. Secondly it was confirmed that we wouldn't be disturbed by noise. As for other listed problems on this site, we must have been lucky - lifts were fast, quick checkout, well priced parking, the air conditioning blew ice old, great continental breakfast and staff were very friendly (especially the waiter Tony). My wife and I love gym work, and the gym was well appointed both for cardio and weights. My only criticisms pertain to a lack of a working exhaust fan in the bathroom and the fact that on the Saturday night the pool was not open 24 hours as per the hotel signage. We swam on the Friday night around midnight, but after talking to a cleaner on the Sat night after attempting to access the pool after midnight, he believed it was open only till 11pm. This won't affect the majority of clients (and I don't blame the hotel for not wanting to deal with 24 hours of pool use), but the signage is incorrect and the staff are confused on this matter. Location is fantastic - right next to the Sydney museum and Hyde Park, and we enjoyed the walks to China Town, City Central and Darling Harbour. The 18th floor room itself was clean, spacious, well appointed and had a great range of movies + well equipped fridge. Stunning views from the room, gym, spa, pool and lift areas. We definitely plan to be back in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brendan B

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Watch out with this hotel. They are doing renovation and it gets noisy even on weekends and holidays! There some kind of business between floors 3-7. So right now you register on floor 2 so you really never even have a chance to see the staff since you exit on the ground floor. I believe they might have a lot of flight attendants coming in and out because it was quite noisy at different times of early morning and late nights. And don't ask for a late checkout (1 hour is $25). I can understand why Marriott dropped this hotel from their inventory.

Room Tip: We told to get the park side because of renovation but still didn't help.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lene12-13
Dear Lene12-13,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during the outlined incident. We are glad to confirm that all public area refurbishment work has now been completed.

I hope we will see you again when you are next in Sydney.