“Upmarket, glossy, new Hilton is great.”
Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #36 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
new zealand
“Upmarket, glossy, new Hilton is great.”
Reviewed June 23, 2006

We had 2 nights in an Executive Floor room in May and were very impressed with the decor. One downside is that due to the excellent Downtown location, room size has been sacrificed compared to most other Hiltons we have used, and the luxurious trappings just about managed to make up for the slightly cramped feeling. Very business-oriented with a smart workstation and leather chair provided. Electric window shades took a bit too long to close, while keeping your finger on the switch! Bathroom was very flash but could only be used by one person at a time, unless one was actually in the bath! Glass Restaurant was beautiful and a great place to see and be seen if you are a Sydneysider! Delicious and well-presented food. Its opposite the QVB and an easy walk to David Jones and all the other great shopping. Exec Lounge lacked atmosphere though, and the food was not as varied and substantial as other Lounges we have used. On balance, we would stay again, just hold back on the luggage!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank nzbased

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 23, 2006

Everything you'd expect from an ultra-modern top-end hotel. We had the "relaxation room" - a junior suite with a large spa bath, amazing views of Sydney and all the amenities you can imagine (although we heard other guests complain that the regular rooms are too small). The staff was extremely attentive, much more than the usual chain hotels kind. Location is great, within walking distance to the Rocks and Darling Harbor.

7 Thank ABD119
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2006

This is a large 5-star hotel that re-opened mid-2005 after a full refurbishment. While I don't hate the hotel, I certainly don't recommend it, as there are dozens of little things they didn't get quite right. Before I start, I should mention that I attended a function at the hotel, but did not try any of the bars/restaurants/other facilities. My opinion is therefore about the room only.

My room was a reasonable size, although definitely not large. The fitout was very clean, new and contemporary with lots of glass and steel (which isn't really my thing but many people do like this style). I was on the 41st floor with my windows facing directly at the Citigroup building.

I must complain about the size of the tiny bathroom. Prior to refurbishment the room must have had a shower over bath. They have now installed a separate shower in addition to the bath, resulting in a cramped bathroom and ridiculously tiny vanity. There is very little room to place your own toiletries. And where is the hairdryer?? In a cupboard under the luggage rack in the hallway! Why do I have to search in obscure places for everything in this room? Another example is powerpoints. I made my tea and ironed my shirts in the midget bathroom as I couldn't find convenient powerpoints (I called to find out where they were later, and the operator kindly told me what I had to move so I could find them).

The pillows here were absolutely horrible - I am never fussy about pillows at all, but these were truly dreadful. Having said this, there is a pillow menu, but I would prefer not to trouble myself to obtain decent pillows. I also prefer a genuine King bed rather than two doubles pushed together.

The bedside telephone is way too far from the bed which is just silly.

Lighting is bad! There are lots of feature lighting and a lamp - so you have to turn on about fifteen different lights and the room is still dark! Very trendy but not so functional.

I need full length mirrors to examine my appearance before I leave the room, and in this room there are two. However both have furniture obscuring the bottom half!

Importantly - my room had terrible mobile phone reception - forcing me to make telephone calls on the hotel phone (and as expected, my four short calls cost over $50).

The blinds take way too long to open and close, and you have to hold the button the whole time. This is annoying.

My request for a late checkout (which was granted) must not have been recorded as I was interrupted in my room TWICE by housekeeping wondering when I was leaving.
My office authorised a credit card for my stay - which for some reason was only applied to the first night of my stay? I HATE when the billing isn't right.

To me it's the little things that matter. Individually, none of the above are worth complaining about really, but when you have so many little things that aren't quite right, you don't enjoy your stay. Oh, and there was a fire alarm early in the morning, which I suppose can't be helped but it was a bit much after I had been annoyed so many times.

Sydney has many fine 5-star hotels and I will try a different one next time.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank frombrissy
Reviewed May 13, 2006

I spent 7 nights at the Hilton recently. As a business hotel, I had no serious complaints about the Hilton although the service was disappointingly average. The Hilton's location was good, and all the necessary facilities were present. However, I would not recommend the Hilton for couples/families on vacation. The rooms are very small and are a tight fit even for couples, let alone families. Furthermore, the prices at the Hilton are very steep, and meals can cost the earth. My take on the Hilton is that it is focussed on business travellers rather than tourists. If you are in Sydney on vacation, there are far better options for the price than the Hilton, such as the Shangri-La, the Four Seasons and the Intercontinental.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank dbasha
London, UK
Reviewed May 2, 2006

We stayed 3 nights at the Hilton and were impressed. We stay in Hiltons quite a lot (for business), and this one is a cut above the rest.

The recent renovations have really pad off - the hotel looks fantastic - very cool and modern. We were there during the MTV awards and apparently Snoop Dog and Jessica Simpson were also staying there. Sure, we didn't actually see them, but the rumour of the hidden stars added to the urban, trendy atmosphere.

Would definitely recommend it to others (if you're not on a budget that is!)

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank AJS76
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Pure Class is what defines this superbly rebuilt Hotel. It is obvious that the a great deal of thought and planning went into this property when you first walk into your room. The rooms are extremely well appointed and space maximised. The decor is striking and there exists a good mix of modern colours with natural wood.
Being a very frequent traveller (predominantly for business but also for leisure) I am very particular about where I stay. I can safely say that the beds and pillows at the Sydney Hilton are second to none.
Another defining point is the "magic" call button on your phone. There is no need for you to figure out which extension to dial for any of your in-room requests - one button and they're at your service. That alone is enough for me to be impressed however the Hotel is the complete package; with the Glass Restaurant and distinctly different bar choices (be sure to check out the Marble Bar in the basement).
Lastly, the location is spot on - basically close to absolutely everything that you need to see in Sydney!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Terrigal, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2006

We visited the Hilton hotel in Sydney last year and we still have fond memories of the trip. we have visited many sydney CBD hotels and this has come out top since it was refurbished. We had beenwatching the building of the tall hotel on our frequent trips to sydney in the months before and kept saying how we would like to stay when it opens. so i organised a weekend away and upgraded the room package to one with a large plasma tv and big spa bath- and it was well worth it - it was the little touches that counted. all the staff were friendly and helpful- even when there was a staff member in the lift with me she said hello and asked how my day was in a nonobtrusive way. we didnt explore many of the facilities out of the room except for the wine bar and had some canapes there which were very enjoyable. we also used room service3 when we came back late from a show and were impressed with the soup and club sandwich which arrived on a heated trolley with white table linen etc. the breakfast was fabulous- if you wanted something you could probably find it on the display there in the buffet- all types of egg were freshly cooked there wase ven one member of staff to make up frash juicesof any combination...
we would highly recommend this hotel and it's location is so central it is very usefuland it is great seeing the QVB building lit up at night...

• Stayed August 2005