“Brilliant staff, just a few tiny things” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #36 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“Brilliant staff, just a few tiny things”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Had a very pleasant stay at the Hilton Sydney. Received a complimentary upgrade which was just lovely, and the staff were just so nice and helpful. I even had a lovely bottle of wine waiting for me.

Two things: 1 - I recommend using the pillow menu, as the standard pillows just aren't that comfy!

2 - my Powerpoint in the bathroom was dislodged. It was fine because the hair dryer reached the kitchen area Powerpoint - but it made me a bit nervous as it hadn't been pointed out or attended to so when I attempted to plug in I didn't realise and it felt quite dangerous.

Apart from that, lovely thank you.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Sydney. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the service levels of the staff to your satisfaction. On another note, I am truly sorry that the powerpoint in your room was dislodged, this has now been brought to the attention of our Engineering team for rectification and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Once again, thanks for your feedback and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed at the Hilton Sydney for 4 nights. I'm a gold hhonors card holder and earned it the hard way... by actually staying at the hotels. This was the first time I had stayed at the Hilton Sydney and was really disappointed. Before I get onto that though:

The Good:
- I had high expectations so I'm really struggling for good points. Oh the internet was lightning quick. Presumably cos noone wanted to pay the 20 odd bucks to connect - it tore through the interweb though.
- Umm... the soap was always well stocked?

The Bad:
- Service. It was a real hit and miss. Some staff really good... others very poor. Restaurant was similar - some days was excellent others you were dumped at a table twiddling thumbs. Not what I have come to expect from the Hilton brand.
- Upgrade - ok you say an upgrade is a bonus. However this is the FIRST time ever as a gold card holder that have not been upgraded. Ever... Had an exec room (more about this later) and I just guess they didn't have anything better left... no other rooms whatsoever (In Dubai we were upgraded to the 2 bedroom suite as an upgrade - guess they were all taken in Sydney though). A cheap mini bottle of wine was a way of thanking me for my $409 a night and my loyalty to the brand.
- Gym - After a disappointing first night was looking forward to hitting the gym especially after read the reviews. It's a commercial gym and was packed. Machines are Sydney style (pack in as many as you can per square meter) and was again disappointing. Machines I wanted had people using them whole time was there... sucked it up and spent half hour there and was ok... just disappointing.

The Ugly:
- Executive lounge. Wow. Trust me there is NOTHING executive about this area. From the security at the front entrance making you feel like you've just robbed you own grandma for the money to stay at the hotel to the breakfast which was miserable - the highlight was having an orange juice that was waaay to sweet as it had come from a concentrate packet. Hors d'oeuvres were a joke. A few random bits microwaved up and a full time bar staff standing at a make shift table to ensure joe public doesn't go crazy with the alcohol. Beer selection was Cascade light or Hahn. Exiting was an unmistakeably large sign informing me that I can't take alcohol past this point. Real classy Hilton... real classy.
- Rooms. Wow. A real eye opener. I paid $409 a night for an exec floor room. Usually the exec floor rooms are spacious - have a bit more furniture in them and a bit nicer finishes. Nope. Absolutely tiny. I felt I was walking sideways to get around the furniture into bed. Oh and the bed. I have stayed in hostels with more comfortable matresses. I'll try upload a photo of what I mean. Two standard single mattresses equals a king - not even a mattress topper. Not really the sleep by numbers mattress an overseas Hilton hopper would be expecting. In fact the only numbers you'll be sleeping by is the amount of springs you can feel digging your back as you're contemplating cures for insomnia. TV was so old that it made my Dad's blackberry look cool. Apparently all the money for a new TV went on robofridge - my automated mini bar. State of art pressure sensors goes straight on my bill and alerts staff that I need a new coke in my room but I'll be damned if I can watch the discovery channel on my non-HD TV... Bathroom was nice enough but again struggled to open door to shower and have bathroom door open - just really awkward.

No doubt a guest relationship manager will come on here seeing this and give a generic "I'm sad to hear your view" message but they're going to have to put a bit more effort than a copy-paste job to retain loyalty. Looking over itinerary for next week and I notice I've got a few more nights here... I hope I can leave a more positive review for that stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ramenmuncher
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay. It is really disappointing that you didn’t contact us directly to outline your views particularly as you are back here next week. In order that we restore your faith in Hilton Sydney, it would be great if you could contact either me or the Duty Manager directly, prior to your arrival.

Chiba, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I was stayed in executive room.
staying in upper executive floor guest can use executive lounge, there were buffet in the morning, lunch time and dinner time.
that's basically nice but I can't stand sushi of lounge, really disgusting.
this hotel also has really nice gym and swimming pool. I think better than fitness first.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend upper executive floor when you stay in this hotel, just because you can use fre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Sydney following your recent stay.

We are delighted that you were pleased with your overall experience and do hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back the next time you are in Sydney.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were travelling with our 8 month old daughter and the Hotel staff provided a cot etc for her with no problems at all. We as a family were made to feel very welcome. We found a Wotif special and when I called to enquire as to whether a cot would be available with this special the Hilton representative made the booking for me over the phone at the Wotif rate.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Maria B
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are really pleased to read your comments about your recent stay at Hilton Sydney and delighted that you found our staff and service levels to your satisfaction.

Hope to see you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Hilton Sydney for 1 night on Easter weekend. This was our first visit and we will definitely stay here in the future. The staff were all so pleasant and polite and the hotel was beautiful. Our room was quaint but stylish and very clean with good views over the QVB. The bed was not very comfortable but it was a standard room and we were more than happy with the rest of the room not to worry about this. Overall, we were extremely happy with this hotel and believe the friendly staff made our stay all that more pleasant.

Room Tip: Higher floors are great for the view especially on a nice, clear day.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Just wanted to say thank you for staying with us at Hiton Sydney. We are so glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Your sincerely,

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

have stayed in most of the Sydney CBD hotels - but this one was a surprise - I think the upgrade was worth it. Smallish room by Australian standards but everything you want was present and accounted for.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Sydney. Your feedback is most appreciated and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future.

sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Very proud of Felix Busch, Hotel Manager at Hilton Hotel Sydney for marvelous service and his professionalism.
Make our stay really enjoyable , we always very happy feels like home.
Many thanks to him and all the staff , greatly appreciate it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Sydney. It is always a pleasure to have you as our guest and I will certainly share your comments with the team members concerned so that they are aware of how much you appeciated their services. Once again, thanks, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.