“Perfect CBD Location, but...”
Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #37 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 7, 2013

There is nothing you can fault about the location of this hotel, and the service and friendliness of the staff was faultless. My gripe is about the rooms - surprisingly small for a five star hotel, and just amazing that they bother to put a TV in the showers, but leave the speakers OUTSIDE the shower so you can't hear it properly! And then put perhaps one of the crappiest clock radios I have ever seen in the room - have they not heard of iOS devices?

Instead of powered blinds, I would have preferred somewhere to place my bags. And perhaps a nicer coffee option. It all just seemed unbalanced to me.

On the other hand, the breakfast was AMAZING! I have never had such a delicious range of food on offer, and the coffee was great, and the environment delightful!

The conference facilities were nice too, and the conference food excellent!

So some great aspects, but also some significant fails... at this level of hotel there really shouldn't be gaps! Oh and the parking is very expensive, and nasty driveways if you have to park yourself. Access to the car parking is tricky if you don't realise the ONLY access is from a one way street BEHIND the hotel! Great for public transport though - only a minute or two from Town Hall station.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Hilton Sydney.

We sincerely regret that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and I have taken your feedback on board. And indeed, it can be tricky to navigate Sydney’s one way streets on approach to our hotel, especially when one is not familiar with the area – We have therefore included a map and directions on our website for those requiring vehicle access, in the hopes of making our guests’ journey as hasslefree as possible.

I was happy to see that you enjoyed your conference and breakfast experiences during your stay, and that you were pleased with the friendly service from our team; and I do hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again soon at Hilton Sydney.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Sydney

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Grat Great & Great.My Wife and I enjoyed the stay.Looking forward to staying again.Actually my wife and Pregnant step daughter would like to stay there before her baby is born in November this year. Hopefully i will book soon myself. Vince Whitehouse.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

We truly appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another memorable experience!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here as part of a large meeting and was impressed with the service from the seamless check-in to great food. My room was large with a nice view of Sydney..loved the idea of a TV in the shower! Lovely comfortable bed ensured a great night sleep. Will be back.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the features in your guestroom and your overall stay, and we hope to see you back at Hilton Sydney very soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I checked in this morning - on the plus side they allowed me to check in at 8 am, since I had just got off an overnight flight I asked for a quiet room - was given one underneath a building site so sleep was off the cards. When I changed room I was given another pokey box room on a lower floor - no apology was offered.

I am a diamond member but am going off Hiltons - Starwood Platinum gives you a suite on almost every stay. Since the rooms are so pokey at this place I am considering changing hotels - the only thing that is preventing me from doing this is the Hilton points which can be used at the few decent hotels in the Hilton Group.

Had a coffee in the executive lounge (which reminded me of a budget airline lounge I guess....) but this is limited to Nespresso only - how lousy is that.

I 'll see how I sleep tonight....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was sorry to read that you encountered some difficulties early into your stay and we sincerely regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the room move.

Whilst we continually do our best to ensure our Hilton Honors Diamond Members are upgraded to larger rooms on each stay, please be reminded that all upgrades are subject to availability; and again, our sincere regret for any disappointment caused on this occasion.

I have also noted your comments pertaining to the Executive Lounge coffee; we appreciate your feedback and have taken this on board.

Thank you again for your time and I hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My title really says it all.

I chose to stay at the Hilton on one of my nights in Sydney to try out the brand. While the room was small as others have said, it was perfectly acceptable, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was well-kitted out, with a bathtub and a shower, and the provided toiletries were useful, although a very "unisex" aroma, which doesn't really flick my switch.

I used room service once, which was quick and tasty, and also made it up to the executive lounge for "drinks and canapes", which was packed out! A good selection of drinks and food though - nice prawns! In terms of food though, breakfast was hands down the best. The many different buffet stations had everything you could possibly ask for, and I really appreciated the list of gluten free foods which was on the hot buffet. They also provided hot food cooked to order as part of the buffet menu, and those who are gluten free - you MUST try the French toast - it was to die for!! I just wish I was there for more than one night so I could have tried everything else! (I also noticed GF pancakes...)

The friendly, competent service (and I have to say, the breakfast array) has made me see the Hilton as a definite contender for my hotel dollar, and on the strength of this one night, I've made plans to stay at several more Hiltons in my travels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Liz G
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I was very happy to read that you were pleased with our service and facilities at Hilton Sydney – We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback and I trust you will continue to enjoy your experiences with the Hilton brand throughout the rest of your travels.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Standard and executive rooms are very small and some do not have baths. Relaxation suites size of two rooms and are more stylish.

Executive Lounge has been refurbished and has a cool industrial feel but can be a bit of a zoo at 'feeding time'.

Great for business. Not for a romantic / holiday stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

I appreciate your review following your stay with us.

We all hope to have the chance of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney in the near future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Okay, so despite saying I would not return I have done exactly that to Hilton Sydney. As I said in my previous review I find their policy on corporate card bookings bewildering but I am prepared to give them credit where it is due.

And I'm glad I did. This time I booked and paid with my own credit card (instead of a corporate card) and found the entire process of checking in flawless. The staff were organised, efficient and courteous.

The room on the 24th floor (2425) was spotless and whilst the twin beds pushed together appeared to be slightly different in height causing a well defined ridge, the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is excellent with a brilliant shower.

Breakfast at Glass was okay without being anything to rave about apart from the actual room. On my previous visit I have to admit I didn't take much notice of the ambience but this time I did - and it is an amazing space. Breakfast is one of those meals in hotels that is hard to differentiate from one property to another.

There is only so much you can do with cereals, bacon, potato rosti, tomato and mushrooms. However it was freshly prepared and not too much is sitting in the warmers for any length of time. A nice touch is the specialist yoghurts and I did try the coffee and walnut which was outstanding!

So I'm changed my view. The Hilton is a beautiful hotel in a great spot and the staff are welcoming and engaging. I appreciate the opportunity to have stayed again and experience a better outcome.

I didn't try Glass for dinner but instead went around the corner to the Criterion. A really good Irish pub with excellent meals at great prices (steak, salad and chips for $18).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for choosing to give Hilton Sydney 'another chance'.

Naturally, I was delighted to read that you were pleased with our service and facilities on this occasion, and I trust you will continue to enjoy more memorable stays in the future.
Thank you again for returning to stay with us and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.