“Classy with a Human Touch”
Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #37 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Civitavecchia
“Classy with a Human Touch”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a great weekend we had at the Hilton recently. From the moment of arrival to the moment of departure, the staff were friendly, obliging and engaging. We had an amazing dinner at Luke Mangan's restaurant, staff again made the experience memorable. It was worth paying extra for a King Room to get access to the lounge. The views from there are outstanding and perfect for Pre dinner drinks, an afternoon coffee and a leisurely Sunday breakfast. Got a wonderful surprise with a celebration birthday balloon delivered to our room and birthday greetings inscribed with chocolate on the dessert plate - and what desserts!!! We also had an afternoon of relaxation in the pool and spa area, and steamed ourselves until cooked. What luxury! Yes, this is not a budget hotel, the rooms are not huge and you might pay more than you intended to, but well worth the expense for a special weekend.

Room Tip: I would imagine all rooms have a high standard, no matter what floor you are on. This is the Hilton...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your Birthday celebrations with us and that you were pleased with your experience at Hilton Sydney.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Michael Bourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Sydney in August and was really happy with it. Had a great room and breakfast each morning was superb. When I stayed again in late February it seemed like management has changed or something - it has definitely gone downhill. When I arrived I was given a room on the 20th floor and I was quickly on my way since it was almost midnight and I had to be up by 5am. Upon exiting the elevator I was quickly greeted by the disgusting odor of cigarette smoke. I walked down the long hallway to the very end where my room was. I was then greeted by a sign that said, "This is a smoking room". I was shocked! I was traveling for business and would NEVER reserve a smoking room. The room reeked! I then rang the front desk and asked for a non-smoking room. They were hesitant, but then were able to switch rooms. I waited another 20 minutes until my second room was ready. The second room was on the 41 ( i think) floor. The room was ok - but just irritating that they didn't tell me when I checked in or asked if a smoking room was ok. I didn't think hotels even has smoking rooms anymore?? The hotel is ok - but the room rate was $299 - for basically my 5 hour stay! Definitely not worth it and I'm sure their are some neater 'boutique' hotels in the CBD that are nicer and better off staying at. Hilton is just a name these days - and definitely not living up to the hype they once had...

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 20th floor it's all smoking rooms!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I have noted your feedback regarding your arrival experience and I can understand your frustration over receiving a non-smoking room upon check in, particularly if this was not what you had reserved. We have investigated the situation to the best of our ability and it appears that on the night of your arrival, our last non-smoking room unfortunately had some urgent maintenance that was being carried out; hence the delay you encountered when changing rooms and for which we sincerely apologise - I can imagine the inconvenience.

However, I appreciate your feedback on the matter and once again, our deepest apologies over what transpired on this recent occasion.

I do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney at some stage in the future, for a stay which is memorable for all the right reasons.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed in our fare share of hotels throughout Australia and worldwide - the Sydney Hilton was disappointing. Over priced for their small rooms.

This was our first time at the Sydney Hilton. From the moment we walked through the revolving door and stood at reception not one person helped with our luggage. We booked in and got our room key, no directions and still no help with the luggage.

We stayed in the King deluxe room in which felt more like staying in a oversized box. We were very disappointed with the size of the room. The bathroom was nice but the frosted green glass on either side of the bedroom and bathroom side prevented us having a good night sleep as every time throughout the night when my husband or myself would go to the toilet we would be woken by the light shining through the glass.

Whilist nice and clean - value for money was very poor.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about Hilton Sydney.

I was very sorry to see that you were not given assistance during your arrival experience and please be assured your feedback has been taken on board and communicated to the Department Manager concerned, to ensure we are delivering the standards expected of us here at Hilton Sydney.

It is most unfortunate that your sleep was disrupted from the light coming through the frosted glass of your bathroom, however please be informed we also have a nightlight switch available which is not as bright and may lessen any disturbance at that hour. Although, should you return to Hilton Sydney in future, you may prefer one of our Guest Room Plus rooms which have no glass walls from the bathroom to the bedroom.

Thank you again for your helpful feedback and I hope we will have another chance to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

great hotel great views and very clean staff all nice and friendly.good location right in the heart of the city close to the harbour and circular quay a good hotel for sydney shopping.hotel also has a good parking area.first floor has a very comfortable bar and eating area agreat place for afew days in sydney.

Room Tip: the higher the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at Hilton Sydney and I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your overall experience.

I hope to see you again soon.

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is a must for anyone fortunate enough to travel to Sydney, Australia...The location is perfect, the hotel is magnificent, the restaurant is awesome and the complimentary breakfast ( for Hilton Honnors Customers) is fantastic...From the wonderful greeting at the reception desk to the porters and to the incredible suites, we were blown away by this hotel...In the past, we have stayed at other hotels in Sydney, but this will be a definite choice in the future...This hotel just adds to the wonders of a visit to Sydney...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting your review about Hilton Sydney.

I was so glad to see that you enjoyed your experience with us and were pleased with our service and facilities.

I hope you will join us again the next time your travels bring you this way.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Really good location for shopping and opposite town hall station. Comfortable beds. Really good breakfast buffet. Friendly staff. Checkin process could be faster. Rooms not huge. One if those annoying fridges where you are charged when you take something out so you can't put your own drinks and food in there!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

We appreciate your feedback and comments and hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to the area.

KL
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Many reviewers said the same thing, the rooms were way too small. Yup, I booked the King Club room. Everything was cramped together. If you sit at the desk, don't get up too quickly or the chair will bang the back wall. There is only one chair to sit and watch tv. The second person has to sit on the bed.

Fortunately, for me, the hotel experience is not just the size of the room. It's the cleanliness, the quality of service, the facilities and even the quality of the toiletries. Service at the Hilton never disappoints. The moment I stepped out of the taxi, I was addressed by my name.

Check in was prompt, reception at the Club lounge was pleasant and every staff I met were wonderful, smiling, and ever ready to help.

Tea at the Club lounge was not interesting. Scones and cookies. But the service made it great. One of the staff even went down to the restaurant to warm the scones for me. Now that's the difference between good service and great service! Cocktail time was good too. Not the food. Even though there were plenty, but after 3 days of the same thing, I was ready to pass. However, the staff manning the bar was friendly and chatty. More than make up for the mediocre food.

The buffet breakfast was reasonable. Can't compare to those you get from Hilton or other 5 Star hotels in Asian countries like Malaysia, Singapore or Hong Kong. But again it's the service that made it a good experience.

I like the gym. Well equipped and clean. Take note, bring your own headphones if you plan on watching tv while you work out. They don't provide those.

Location wise, it can't get better. Right in the middle of the shopping district of downtown Sydney. Besides QVB across the road, it's a few minutes walk to the Pitt Street pedestrian mall. The beautiful Hyde Park is also 5 minutes walk away. In fact you can walk to a whole host of attractions that Sydney had to offer.

Overall, I had a very enviable stay at the Hilton. I'd certainly come back again.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

We continually strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and I was delighted to read that you were pleased with our friendly and helpful service.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the not too distant future.