“Great City Hotel.”

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #40 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed here just two nights whilst touring Australia, and was very impressed. The room was compact but excellently designed for the space. It had a very executive feel and looked set out like a stylish office, so perfect for a business trip where there's work to do. Luckily, I didn't have much work to do, so was able to drink in the gorgeous bar, where the warm decor and atmosphere made you forget you were in a hotel at all. I'm not an expert on Sydney, but I got the feeling the location was second to none. I took a run to explore the area and saw most shops I could think of, before continuing along the harbour and seeing all the sights. The gym is amazing. A higher standard that the commercial gym I train in at home! Some hotel gyms are clearly an afterthought, this one was anything but. The hotel was clearly very popular, this was reflected by the bustling lobby area, which has a lounge and coffee shop built in. Despite this, friendly staff were on hand to assist with luggage, concierge duties etc. If you're looking to splurge, my colleague was in a penthouse suite which was spacious, and had stunning views of the city. Finally, service was great, I had food and many drinks on room service and they were prompt and polite with every order.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Many thanks for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

We are indeed very fortunate to be so centrally located in Sydney’s CBD and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

For a 5 Star Business hotel it lacks the services required for a successful and efficient business trip. The office infrastructure in the rooms is poor. There are not sufficient power plugs for the work area and the Internet LAN cable simply does not work. Magic services acknowledged this simply with the statement - yes we know that the LAN usually does not work so we suggest you don't use it. This is not what you expect if in particular when you are paying close to AUD 30 per day for Internet. The WIFI is unstable and unreliable.

The location is great but there are better properties within walking distance that provide proper working infrastructure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review about Hilton Sydney.

I have taken on board your feedback and we sincerely regret any miscommunication from our MAGIC team pertaining to the internet. Should any issues arise with the internet, our team will do their utmost to resolve the matter and I am sorry if this was not your experience on this occasion. Please rest assured our team members have all received re-training in this aspect and to ensure that we provide the five star standard of service expected of us at Hilton Sydney.

Once again I appreciate your feedback and hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Staying here for a few days to basically chill out and from the moment we checked in it is clear that all the staff really want to help us in that goal. Chi in the Executive Lounge is an absolute star and he can mix a mean G&T with just the right squeeze of lime. A wonderful experience and thanks to all the staff.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

As Hilton Diamond members we have stayed at Hilton hotels on 5 continents and can honestly say that this is one of the best we have experienced.

The service levels we experienced were very high and the facilities and standards at this hotel are excellent.

We checked in late at night after a very long journey from the UK and staff recognised this and the whole process was extreamly efficient and are bags were quickly delievered to the room.

The room size was fair, not huge but perfectly accomodated my partner and I plus our 5 month old daughter in travel cot. Bed was the usual high Hilton standard and the bathroom with shower and seperate tub was a good size.

The executive lounge is large with a great selection of snacks throughout the day.

As diamond members we enjoyed being able to also eat breakfast FOC in the main restaurant which was full breakfast selection as opposed to the continental selection in the lounge. The breakfast was truely excellent, the choice vast and service very good despite the restaurant being very busy.

Location was great for us, heart of CBD with plenty of shopping around but only a small stroll Sydney and Darling Harbour.

We would not hesitate to stay here again and highly recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

It is always pleasing to receive such feedback, especially from Hilton Honors Diamond members such as yourself. I do hope you will return the next time your travels bring you back to Sydney.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a one-night stay on Boxing Day. Driving into the Sydney city was crazy. Apparently Boxing Day Shopping in Sydney on the 26th/December is only available in the CBD area - and therefore everyone was in the city! Suburban post Christmas shoppings starts on the 27th of December. So....on the 26th of December, there were people everywhere, it almost felt like a fresh mob. And, whatever you do, don't attempt parking in the Hilton Hotel on Boxing day. It was almost impossible to enter the car park on Pitt street as the traffic just wasn't moving! I think something probably could have been done about it. Anyway, we were stuck for about 40 minutes on Pitt street trying to get to the Hotel carpark . It was just so crazy.

Everything else was fine, but l was disappointed about the room size. It was advertised as 30 sq, but it certainly didn't feel like it at all. I understand it's Sydney CBD, but it just felt too small and crammed.

However, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the quality of bedlinen and pillows are of very high quality. The breakfast area looks really nice, but the selection of food was rather average.

I didn't feel that there was anything particular 'great' about Sydney Hilton. The location is convenient in the CBD, the bed was really comfortable. But other than that...I much more enjoyed our stayed in Parkroyal Parramatta, the room size was so much better at Parkroyal Parramatta. In addition, parking in Sydney Hilton cost us approx A$50, let alone all the drama about getting into the car park on Boxing Day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at Hilton Sydney.

It is unfortunate that you encountered heavy traffic in the city on arrival; however I am glad you enjoyed other aspects of your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night after a very messy Mardi Gras weekend.

The location is fantastic (across from the QVB building). Close to all the up market shops and restaurants.

On arrival your greeted with a warm and friendly smile and excellent service. I booked and executive plus room and this was fantastic.

The rooms are very modern and the bathroom is a dream (TV in the shower). Room service was lovely and they had a great choice on the menu.

The only gripe I had was the TV stopped working a few times and I had to call for repairs. They came and fixed it but a few hours later is broke again and by that time I couldn't be bothered to call back down so I listened to my iPod.

I enjoyed my stay however with all the competition out there.. I think you can get better!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was glad to see you enjoyed your overall stay however we sincerely regret the obvious inconvenience caused as a result of the faulty television - I can imagine this would have been rather frustrating for you.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will have another opprtunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a 2nd review, I felt compelled to write again as this time I stayed in the executive room...which, I feel is the same as a standard room but with the right to access the lounge on 36th floor.

The room...still smallish but comfortable. I think the executive rooms are the same as the standard rooms. The bed is fine and the bathroom very small. It actually reminds me of HK hotels...the rooms there are about the same size.

The executive lounge access comes with the executive rooms and it was OK. Please note, it will close at 9 and staff will come around and advise you the closing time is near. The food served is fine and there are many soft drinks to choose from. The beer and wine is free after 6pm and charged to the room during the day. There is not much food around during the day and I have seen some guests bring in sandwiches from outside shops into the lounge. The breakfast is fairly basic....boiled eggs, cold meats, bread, some fruit and pastries.

Someone mentioned the issue with the TV...yes, this is still a disappointment as the channels are limited to local tv and a handfull of pay tv channels such as news and sport...and not much else. This is where the other hotels in the area take the points on the Hilton...but I suppose this is something that may just affect me.

I also do not believe the internet is free, even if you have the executive rooms.

Overall, there are a few quirks with the hotel but it is a good choice for Sydney. The train station is very close and the ride from the airport to the hotel is quick and convenient and at AUD15.60 per person good value. Families should consider a taxi which is around $45 one way.

Service is as always fantastic.

Room Tip: high floors have a "cleaner" view. executive rooms are the same as normal rooms but with l...