“A bit of a let down”

Ranked #35 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“A bit of a let down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We spent one night here recently when in Sydney and our usual hotel (Four Seasons) was fully booked.

The hotel and rooms were generally nice, the room well furnished and very modern though a bit small for this standard of hotel. The designers had fallen into a trap common in many modern hotels and made the walls separating the bathroom from the bedroom from frosted glass, this looks very trendy and modern during the day, however if like us you have two in the room, and someone goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night then turning on the bathroom light means lighting up the whole room and waking your partner. a small thing but annoying.

Our problems here really started on arrival, we arrived in our own car and found the driveway so congested it took a full twenty minutes to get into the drive. The second letdown came when the attendant took our car but offered no help with our luggage, leaving us to unload the boot ourselves and drag our bags into reception. On checking in we told the receptionist we were disappointed no one helped with the bags, she smiled, apologised then still offered no help and left us to lug our bags to the lift and our room. This lack of drive way service made the $60 a night charge for parking sting even further.

Our room rate included access to the executive club lounge, including happy hour with drinks and light food in the evening. The food was pretty good but the lounge very crowded with tables hard to come by. Worse was the bar, completely inadequate for the number of people and at all times had at least a ten to fifteen minute wait to get a drink. To be fair I think this lounge had only been open a few days and hopefully they will sort this out in time.

The real problem was that for the price we paid (over $400) for the night the service just was not good enough despite the nice surroundings, therefore the poor rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with your overall experience at Hilton Sydney – Please be assured we take your comments very seriously and I have shared this information with the Department Managers concerned.

We continually strive to improve our guests’ experience and appreciate your feedback which helps us to monitor our level of service and guest satisfaction.

I do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in future and demonstrate the level of hospitality we are indeed capable of and passionate about at Hilton Sydney.

Michael Bourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Endicott, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the hotel on recent trip to Australia. The hotel is in a great location and up to the Hilton standard. The executive lounge was just remodeled and opened while I was there, very nice. Prices are a little high, but had GREAT food for a hotel, the breakfast buffet is FANTASTIC. I am a Hilton Diamond member so the breakfast was free, not sure what they charged. The gym at the hotel was amazing with modern equipment and a very nice lap pool. Will stay here everytime I am in Australia.....recommend to business and family traveler.

Room Tip: Ask for highest floor possible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I appreciate your feedback and compliments and I hope you will come to visit us again when your travels next bring you to the area!

North Island, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Also we found out near end of stay free shuttle to circular quay over the road from hotel.

Nice hotel once we discovered (next day) how to shut the curtain (hmm blinds) lol.

My family member found crumbs under the bed and made them vaccum the whole room but I thought it was pretty good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with your overall stay; and our sincere apologies for the crumbs which you found under the bed - I have passed on your feedback to our Housekeeping Manager accordingly, to ensure our team clean and check the guestrooms thoroughly as expected.

I do hope we will see you again in the near future.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently spent one night in a King room here and saw a show at the Theatre Royal. The room was lovely: great contemporary decor, nice layout and very very clean. Room service food was really good and came in reasonable time, and the concierge was very helpful with arrangements for dinner nearby. I loved the location - right opposite the QVB. This hotel is of course expensive, but you tend to know that when making your booking... I would definitely stay there again when in Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your wonderful review.

It was our pleasure to serve you and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney when your travels bring you back to the area.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

As a frequent business traveller, I always try and stay loyal to certain hotel chains. In Sydney, I picked the Hilton Hotel to stay in for the past 12 weeks. Service was impeccable in the first couple of weeks, but I'm sad to say that it has consistently degraded since then.
It's not just about the little things such as courteous and helpful staff. Having rude people work for you and lie to your face is another matter.
One of the porters said that they have abolished the special check-in line for the Hilton Honors members and that I would have to queue with the rest.
In another incident, another porter tried to force his way into my room even though the "Do Not Disturb" light was on. He already used his key to get into my room by the time I reached the door. Luckily, the latch was on and he wasn't able to come in further. He said he urgently needed to get inside my room to look for a bag that was mistakenly placed in the wrong room.
Just tonight, I had to request for maintenance staff to fix the toilet paper holder that fell on my foot. Mind you, in the last 3 months, this is the 3rd time I had a room with a faulty toilet paper holder.
And twice this year, I was shocked to see rotting food in my bar fridge after I just checked in. Obviously, the housekeeping staff need to be a bit more thorough in cleaning.
In a couple of stays, I had to request engineering staff to fix the airconditioning since the temperature wouldn't budge below 24 degrees.
During a stay where I was upgraded to a suite, the panel covering the TV case fell on me as I reached for the remote. It was a 20cm by 60cm piece of wood, so it was quite a painful experience.
The front desk staff are not very friendly either. I know they're busy checking in customers all day, but wouldn't it hurt to smile a little bit on the job?
Complaints to the "Magic" number or the reception do not really garner any action. It's obvious that these staff do not take note of these incidents, and it reflects badly on the rest of the hotel staff.
I always try to be loyal to the Hilton brand because of the previous fantastic experience I've always had in my stays. The Hilton Adelaide and the Conrad Singapore are 2 top-notch hotels with spectacular staff and I'd never hesitate to book with them again.
With the Hilton Sydney, however, I'm not so sure. I've cancelled my upcoming stays for the rest of the year as I've had enough of having to put up with mediocre service. I always expect to get value for my money, and I don't think that this hotel cares about its long-term Hilton Honors Diamond members.
I'm sorry, but I'm staying at the Shangri-la from next week onwards.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs because you can hear crying children from the next room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review about your Hilton Sydney stay.

We were of course very disappointed to learn that you did not experience our usual five star level of service. Further to our apology note sent to you during your stay, we do sincerely apologise again and please rest assured that your comments and concerns have been taken very seriously and have been thoroughly investigated. We deeply regret any inconvenience and distress caused to you as a result.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Hilton Honors Diamond member and value your feedback. Thank you again for your time and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney at some stage in the near future for a positively memorable stay.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good Hilton quality, generous size rooms, super clean, bathroom however very small - ok for one person, but two people would not be able to be stand there together. Beware of minibar prices - 600ml water bottle cost $7.50!!!!. Food was absolutely beautiful and very fast reception - check and check out. Location of the hotel is great- right in the middle of city.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Hilton Sydney.

I was very pleased that you enjyoed your stay with us and I hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had an overnight in the Sydney CBD for a family occasion. The Sydney Hilton was perfect as the event was held at Sydney Town Hall. Booked a Standard King room for a no frills overnight and were pleasantly surprised when upgraded to a King Suite upon arrival. The room overlooking the CBD and Town Hall was as always, clean comfortable with my favourite "rain forest" shower and "Aquaview" flatscreen tv in the shower-very entertaining! I have noticed an improved attitude from all staff, not that this was ever a real issue, but there seems to be a "what more can we do to make your stay better?" mindset at this top venue. Only downside? Didn't have time to take advantage of the high-tech workout studio or the Aqua centre with pool, sauna and spa. Again, will always be a fan, even though dining options could still be better...

Room Tip: Executive floor is always the best option but as an HH member booking a standard room, always ask f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

We continually strive to exceed our guests' expectations and I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your experience with us.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.