“First Time in Years” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“First Time in Years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I recently stayed her during a business trip and was pleased to see the the high quality associated with the Hilton brand is well and truly alive and kicking. Highlights included the fitness centre - fantastic - and the quality of the rooms.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your review.

We greatly appreciate your comments and we all look forward to your next visit to Hilton Sydney.

Michael Bourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have stayed here twice in the last few months and both times have loved having a really good shower recess and a bath.So much better than those awful showers over the bath.
The hotel has very friendly, helpful staff, the position is great opposite the Queen Victoria Building and Town Hall railway station. The breakfast was excellent with cappuccino and a huge variety of delicious food.
We think the Doonas (duvets) are too hot and so requested sheet and blanket for the second night. This was much more comfortable.
The Club lounge was closed for renovation but we were invited for drinks on the first floor and given vouchers for afternoon tea at the lobby coffee shop.Not as good as the Club Lounge, but at least they tried.
We were given a leaflet saying that internet was complimentary and were told to log on and the charges would be reversed on checkout. This did not happen so we were disappointed.
If only hotels realised that good, free internet makes happy travellers.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was glad to see that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed our service. However, I was sorry to learn that your internet charges were not reversed as promised. Please kindly contact us at your earliest opportunity with your details so that we can arrange a refund accordingly - We sincerely regret any inconvenience or disappointment caused.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will have the opportunity of returning soon to experience our newly refurbished Executive Lounge.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in the King Relaxation Suite on the 42nd floor to celebrate my wife's birthday.

Check-in was a breeze and when we got up to the room, we were met with a nice Happy Birthday balloon, wine, chocolate and a personal well-wishing note from the HHonors Manager which was a very nice surprise touch and added many points. (I'm a Diamond member)

The Suite itself was very spacious, with views of Sydney tower as well as Darling Harbour. Separate lounge and bedroom and complete with two toilets. Everything was sparkling clean and felt new. The three TVs (lounge, bedroom, bathroom) means that you won't have to fight for one and the work desk was large and practical, though Wifi could be faster, nonetheless satisfactory.

One of the major pluses for the Suite is undoubtedly the large spa bath overlooking darling harbour, truly relaxing. The King Bed was very comfortable but perhaps more pillow options would be even better (they were a bit soft for our liking).

I was told the Executive Lounge on L36 was closed for renovation when I booked so at check-in, we were given coffee and cake vouchers to have afternoon tea at the lobby cafe. Service there was a bit slow (under staffed) but the mango tart was delicious.

Gym, pool and sauna facilities are excellent as it's run as a commercial health club.

Breakfast at Glass is exactly what you'd expect from a Hilton, much better than the one we had in Hilton Surfers Paradise just a week ago. Plenty to choose from and service was attentive.

Overall, a very nice 5 star stay, whilst the Hilton might not have views of the Opera House or Harbour Bridge. It's great service and central location makes up for it.

Tip - choose rooms on high floors as the hotel is situated on George Street which can get a bit noisy from the frequent sirens from police or ambulances passing by.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on high floors
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank contactim
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I was delighted to learn that you were happy with your overall experience and I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again at Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for one night when visiting clients in Sydney last week. On first impression, the buidling was very inviting, there was a bit of a line to check in as only 2 counters were open but that's not a big issue. The lobby was spacious and spotless, the check in, once I got to the counter, only took 30 seconds. Very efficient.

The room was small, almost Ibis hotel size, bathroom also tiny. The TV screen in the shower was the only "luxury" in this otherwise fairly basic hotel. The rooms are simple and neat, nothing fancy. The bed is comfortable and pillows really nice. Just like someone mentioned before me, the hotel provides a free bottle of water and a single apple. Two people stayed in the room so we just shared. Things like shaving kits or toothbrush kits need to be ordered separately, although they are no cost items.

Location was very good, so close to Darling Harbour. There are plenty of food options not far from the hotel. As a consequence, I did not eat at the hotel.

Overall, it was a very good hotel, it is not luxury but simple and comfortable. I was a bit surprised by the simplicity as I was expecting something better. Value for money is average or just below average. Would I stay again...probably not, unless the overnight price was around 200 per night with breakfast included.

3 Thank traveller_au97
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I appreciate your feedback and was pleased to see that you enjoyed our location and our efficient service upon check in.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney at some stage in the future.

Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have always stayed at the Hilton when in Sydney and being a Diamond HHonors member the sometimes high room cost is offset by the lounge and free wifi. If alwyas given it good reviews also. However, when checking in last week I was told the lounge was closed for renovation. No mention of this on the main Hilton website (which is where I booked it) and nothing on the confirmation, either. It is on the actual hotel website but nowhere else. The staff seemed suprised when I told them this but surely someone else has pointed it out?
So, with a large congressin the hotel my quiet breakfast in the lounge was repalced by the scrum of a very full restaurant each morning. In addition the noise from the building work on Friday and Saturday afternoons made staying in my room (two floors above) unbearable. Idid complain and the front desk staff were apologetic and lsitened but there was obviously nothing they could do.
I think next time i might stay somewhere else...

Room Tip: Keep away from the lifts if possible.
1 Thank dk011
Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was very sorry to read that you were unaware of the refurbishment in process during your stay, as we have ensured that both our local website and the Hilton worldwide website contains this information. The confirmation emails and notification emails sent prior to guests’ stays also state that the Executive Lounge is under renovation; therefore please feel free to contact us directly should you wish to discuss the matter further as we have endeavoured to inform our guests as much as possible during the booking process.

We truly regret any inconvenience caused to you during that time. We value and appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton brand and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to enjoy the newly refurbished Executive Lounge as part of your Hilton Honors Diamond benefits.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We travel with of 2 children at least twice a year & this is probaly our worst hotel experience. We stayed for 5 nights this month & whilst this was our first stay at a Hilton Hotel, we always stay at 5 star hotels, hence expecting a lot more from the Hilton.

Should of known from check - in that this hotel was going to be a disaster. We didnt want to pay but credit card so paid the full amount at check-in only to be told by the hotel staff that because we werent paying by credit card that they would require double the amount of holding monies (ie for damages & other usages etc), hence wanted us to pay another $600 per room (2 rooms = $1200). After disputing this with her she let us put down only $300 as a hold on my credit card.

We chose this hotel for the location but mostly because of the pool & spa as the kids (and us) love to unwind at the end of the day after sightseeing & shopping. The pool is shared with the Fitness Centre & as the hotel has a large business clientele there were no other kids in the pool the whole 5 days we were there. The other people that used the pool made us feel very unwelcomed, to the extent that one lady every time we walked into the pool room she left (she did this 3 times!). Hence ever time we used the pool I was stressed that the kids did not make a noise as to upset the other adult guests.

Rooms very very small. Bathroom was very small. Keys did not work properly. No free Wfi in rooms. Only 1 small bottle of water per room when 2 guests in each room.
This is not a family or leisure hotel but a business one. Pillow menu is a good idea.

Breakfast was ok but not 5 star standard. Same food every day were there which got boring . Nice that were could order any drink we wanted.

Staff were pleasant which make up for all the rude guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Rita199
Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with various aspects of your stay and have taken your comments on board. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to monitor whether we are meeting our guests' needs and expectations, as we continually strive to deliver exceptional service.

I do hope we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a conference and being the Hilton I was expecting great things.
The only saving grace for this hotel is its location and staff who were at all times professional and attentive.
The room was tiny and I mean really tiny. We had a twin room and the single beds were the size of a toddlers single. Given that I arrived in Sydney a few days earlier and stayed at the quay in a twin room four sizes bigger than the Hilton and the singles beds were close in size to a double imagine my surprise when I opened the door to see the matchbox before me..
The air con was freezing and could not be be adjusted the bathroom door handle was hanging by a few screws the bathroom also very had no bath or ventilation/fan so everything fogged up when showering and the bathroom door was very heavy and had an automatic closer on so could not be propped open adding to the claustrophobia. Also there was no bath!!!
Engineering was very prompt and professional and fixed the issues quickly but with a five star should I even have been allowed to enter this room with the existing problems.
Next day no hot water and the desk again very professional and apologetic and seeming to be surprised it had happened but speaking to other conference delegates it appears most of us had no hot water so where was the surprise!!!
Also sheets had holes in them and the Donna covers had holes and had been repaired by darning with a sewing machine.
Sorry Hilton you did not live up to expectations. I would not recommend this hotel nor would I return. You are trading on your name and you are letting it down.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was very sorry to learn about your disappointing experience as this does not represent the level of service we continually strive to deliver and pride ourselves on.

I have shared your detailed comments with my management team; however I would greatly appreciate any further information you can provide us with, such as your guestroom number and dates of stay, by contacting us directly at Hilton Sydney, in order to assist us with a deeper and more accurate investigation into the issues you mentioned and helping us to prevent any such reoccurrence in future.

We apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment caused on this occasion and I do appreciate your feedback on the matter. I look forward to hearing from you.