“Fantastic service, excellent location but small rooms”
Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #37 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic service, excellent location but small rooms”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

As Hilton Gold, I was upgraded to Executive Level rooms, even though I booked there via American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card free night offer. I was also provide Executive Lounge access, free internet, late checkout at 1pm, free buffet breakfast at Glass Brasserie Restaurant. Therefore we have been treated very well.

The location of the hotel is excellent, accessible to lot of shops including Westfield Sydney and QVB, as well as Town Hall station and lot of buses. The room however is small, this is because this is renovated from old building. If you want large room you really need to book Relaxation Room category at the minimum,

The Executive lounge is pretty large, the evening canape is good but I think the one at Hilton Adelaide is better. I also had Sea Breeze cocktail, which was great.

The dinner at Glass Brasserie is fantastic, the place is fully booked out and the atmosphere in the restaurant is great. The buffet breakfast is one of the best, huge variety of options as well as food generally high quality.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone for tourist as well business travel.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, book Executive Level for lounge access and free continental breakfast. Get Hilto...
2 Thank kamchatsky
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your review about Hilton Sydney.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Hilton Honors Gold Member and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel's location and overall service & facilities during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Michael Bourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is my third stay at Hilton Sydney and after an amazing first, decent second and - so far - a rather average third stay I felt I might finally write a review.

The hotel is well-appointed, rooms tastefully furnished and I find the bed and pillows very comfortable (although others seem to disagree).

The staff are pretty good - I am not 100 per cent on her name, but I believe it is Juliette? I encountered her during my first stay, and unfortunately not yet again, and she tops my list of the best front desk staff I have ever encountered in my life. Warm, friendly and accommodating - she is an asset to the Hilton. Other front desk staff are hit and miss, the mostly indifferent attitude I've had on my last two stays drags my impression of the property down. Bell staff seem inconsistent - on one stay there were ever so insistent to take my bags, and another I didn't even warrant a glance as I entered.

As noted in another review, the hotel seems to be undergoing renovations and the sound of jackhammering is on and off throughout. It seemed very loud in the lift lobby but I can't hear it in the room I'm in right now. Rooms are otherwise quiet and comfortable, although the air conditioner is quite loud in my current room - something I've not noticed before.

Housekeeping is great here, every time I've stayed I couldn't find a speck of dirt in any of the rooms I've stayed in. Rooms are also very consistently made up, which I appreciate it. All the housekeepers I've encountered in the hallway are always friendly and cheery, wishing a good morning or hello.

The internet is fast (by ethernet cable at least, was painfully slow during my last stay via wi-fi) and the desk is comfortable to work at, although in the King Deluxe room it always strikes me as slightly awkwardly placed. It is better located in Executive Rooms against the wall facing out, whilst it sits in the middle of the room between the bed and bathroom in Deluxe rooms.

Breakfast is the stand out feature of this hotel, for Gold/Diamond HHonors members a full buffet is available and it is absolutely amazing - there is a great variety of items and everything is kept stocked. It is common for it to be very busy during breakfast, but the staff at Glass are attentive and friendly, frequently clearing away plates and offering tea/coffee. I can't fault any of them.

I have visited the Executive Lounge prior to renovations and can only say it definitely needed a bit more space, and perhaps a no child policy similar to the Conrad Centennial in Singapore - while I was there (on a weekday night no less) it was full of children running around, unattended by their parents. Definitely not conducive to having a quiet snack/drink or getting some work done.

I once left my deodorant at home and asked for some to be brought to my room, which when received had obviously already been used. Thankfully it was an aerosol and not a roll-on. I mentioned this on check out and it was voided from my bill, and assurances were given that it would be followed up.

This is quite a good hotel which definitely deserves to be rated higher on Trip Advisor (especially compared to the Radisson Blu, where I used to stay and have much to say about the poor attitude of staff there). I'd recommend it for business or pleasure stays, especially due to its excellent location in the heart of Sydney.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your detailed review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was delighted to see that you were pleased with our friendly service, particularly from Juliette to whom I have passed on your compliments accordingly.

I appreciate your feedback as it helps us to monitor whether we are meeting our guests’ needs and identifies any areas where improvement is required. Please be assured I have shared your comments with our management team to ensure we are consistently providing the level of service which is expected of us at Hilton Sydney, as we continually strive to deliver exceptional guest experiences.

Thank you again and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Tucson AZ
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It's a very nice Hilton, the rooms are large and very nicely equipped. While it is a chain hotel, the service was, for the most part, very good.

I was impressed by the room. There were more than enough outlets and controls, something missing in many rooms. The mini bar was well stocked and there were two bathrobes for your comfort,

We did have one disappointing issue: when we checked in, two rooms, two gold members, we were told that the executive lounge was being refurbished. This information came to us after the front desk clerk conferred with her manager for 5 minutes, why would she not know when we asked that the lounge was closed? As it happens, when we went to the lounge floor, we saw that it was, in fact, being refurbished but that there was an alternative space (ask the clerk at the front desk). We didn't bother, it was obvious that they were being disingenuous and that we weren't welcome at the lounge.

Other than that, the hotel was very nice; clean, efficient services, not too crowded. The Marble bar on the lower level is fantastic. While the hotel is modern, the marble bar brings you back to the late 1800's / early 1900's. Beautifully decorated walls, ceiling and two spectacular bars. Service there was friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us; however, it was disappointing to learn about the response of confusion you received from Reception staff during your check in and I have spoken with the team accordingly.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience caused as a result of the refurbishment process; however we look forward to presenting our guests with a new and improved (and expanded) Executive Lounge very soon.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing Hilton Sydney; and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband & I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights at the end of our 3-week long vacation in NZ & Australia. It is centrally located in the CBD - walking distance to high-end shops, bus-stops, parks, and dining.

The lobby is beautiful, modern & sleek, it is filled with people in suits who are dressed to impress. We were casual tourists, so felt somewhat out of place here.

When we reached our room & luggage was stored, we didn't have a lot of walking room. The desk was about 2 feet from the bed, and the bathroom - although updated - was incredibly small. There was no counter space and the sliding glass door needed to be kept open when getting ready in the morning to provide more room.

I agree with another reviewer who indicated that the bed/pillows were not comfortable. We had to fold our large square pillows over in order to provide support for our heads. And our king size bed was actually 2 twins pushed together.

Breakfast options were impressive (first time I have had gluten-free pancakes at a restaurant in 10 years). The restaurant was packed every time we went and filled again with people dressed in suits discussing business. It was not relaxing and yet again, we felt somewhat out of place in jeans & sweaters.

Housekeeping seemed to be permanently parked outside of our room which also felt somewhat odd. They were prompt in making up our room once a day, but again, it wasn't very relaxing to see the cart throughout the day.

Last comment....The hotel is undergoing renovations, so by 9am, we were listening to construction workers & their tools. Good thing we woke up early, but this could be problematic for a guest wanting to sleep in.

Overall, we had a much better experience at the Shangri-La a few blocks away and would stay there again over Hilton Sydney.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with various aspects of your stay, and in particular, the bedding situation.
We recognise the importance of having a restful night’s sleep and understand that each of our guests have different expectations and preferences when it comes to comfort of bedding – It is for this reason that we do supply a Pillow Menu, located at each bedside, providing a generous selection of pillows and I trust this will make your sleep more comfortable should you choose to return in future.

You may also prefer staying in one of our Relaxation Rooms or Junior Suites which offer a very generous amount of space and living area, complete with a large & spacious bathroom.

I was happy to see you enjoyed our selection at Breakfast in Glass Brasserie; and I do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in future, for a more relaxing stay.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Sydney
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We recently stayed in a deluxe room for our anniversary.

Unfortunately, The Hilton Sydney just did not meet our expectations.

Firstly, on check-in the male reception clerk was not at all welcoming or friendly. No one acknowledged or greeted us. The service encounter was very cold... I specifically booked direct on the Hilton website, and wrote on the comments that today was a special occasion. There is no personalised service anymore.

The room itself is fine, it is on the smaller size but, I was expecting that with all the reviews. The mattress is extremely uncomfortable, it is an old mattress that is well overdue to be replaced, the springs were all broken.

The Television is really small circa 26" and had poor picture quality, watching the TV gave us a headache so we switched it off the whole night.

The cleanliness was fine, no issues with housekeeping.

The shower pressure is very poor and just did not meet our expectations. The bath towels was also of a poor quality and were threadbare these should of been replaced a long time ago.

On checkout the receptionist charged a surcharge for using a credit card without mentioning it to me. I know it is common for providers to charge this, and I would be absolutely fine if they advised this to me..

The positives

Breakfast was good with a great variety of selections, including an egg chef that will cook eggs your style. The service in the breakfast restaurant was excellent, we were welcomed and greeted and staff were smiling and provided great customer service (shame it was the exact opposite at front desk)

Location is convenient and next to Pitt street mall.

Overall, I would not return, there are much better hotels around Sydney. This was a very disappointing stay which made our anniversary not so memorable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review with us on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to learn about your disappointing experience and we very much appreciate your feedback.

At Hilton Sydney we are passionate about delivering exceptional service to our guests and we understand the importance of special occasions such as your Anniversary. However, it appears we did not measure up to our usual five star standard on this occasion and please be assured that I have shared your comments with our management team to ensure we are delivering the highest standard of service, consistently – In particular, with regards to your arrival and check out experience.

Whilst we do have notices up at Reception informing our guests about the credit card surcharge, it is also standard procedure for our team to notify guests prior to finalising the payment process, which was clearly not communicated during your check out. We sincerely regret any inconvenience or disappointment caused as a result.

In relation to the maintenance issues you encountered in your room please kindly contact us directly to provide further details about your stay if you are happy to, such as your hotel room number, in order to assist us with looking into the matter further. Again, we appreciate your feedback as we continually strive to improve our service and facilities.

Should you choose to return to Hilton Sydney in future, please contact me directly so that I can personally ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

I am pleased, however, that you enjoyed breakfast in Glass Brasserie and I do hope we will have the privilege of serving you again at some stage in future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I recently spent one night here for business. I arrived on Sunday evening and the immediate comfort and quality of the Hilton impressed. Straight into the room and connecting to the WiFi was easy. The desk is comfortable and located with a good view of the room and window's beyond for a great view of Sydney. The bed was comfortable and the pillows plenty. Multiple shower heads, and a TV in the bathroom was a quality touch. Breakfast the next morning was great with all the standards but of a high quality. Best of all was the location. A quick check-out and a 5 minute stroll to my meeting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I am so pleased that your stay was comfortable and that the functionality of the room met your business needs and requirements.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney the next time your travels bring you back this way.

houston
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a wonderful time in Sydney. We love Hilton Sydney. Don't understand why others complaint about the room and services. Everything is great about this hotel. We arrived early in the morning and our room was not ready to check in, but we were able to shower in the gym. We were so grateful for this offer after such a long flight. Will stay here again if we ever go back to Sydney. We the breakfast. Excellent selections.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review.

It is always a pleasure to read that our guests have enjoyed their experience at Hilton Sydney and I hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.