“Well.......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Well.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

I only had to spend one night in Sydney so I have decided to spend a bit more in a nice hotel. So I have picked Hilton for its brand and central location.

The hotel is very centrally located and within proximity of transport and food. The lobby is very nice, all staff I have encountered during my stay had been very professional and friendly, all requests were dealt with very quickly. Check in was very quick and opt for the express check out. The service of the staff provided are definitely of a 5 star hotel standard.

The room however, is less than a 5 star feel/standard. The room was modern, but very small. The twin/double room was fitted with 2 single beds, which in my opinion was very substandard for a 5 star hotel. I thought room of this size only existed in Hong Kong or Singapore where land is scarce. I'm only 176cm tall, hard to imagine how someone over 180cm can enjoy their sleep in those beds. When I showed hotel photos to friends, they could not believe that the room belonged to Hilton!

Final thought, the staff and service is great, but the price paid does not justify the room size, especially the lack of a big comfortable bed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
N.E Victora
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

Checkin - easy, very polite and efficient
Room - high room as requested, space age bathroom that makes excellent use of small space. Overall very comfortable
Food - I had breakfast included - a vast buffet of the typical Hilton variety. Pleasant but the coffee was a bit crap (luke warm - though I believe I could have ordered cappucino etc) and the bacon overcooked and wrinkled. Service was excellent
OVERALL - a very good stay with minor annoyances at breakfast

Room Tip: For a quick feed - check out the food court in the Westfield shopping centre only a stones throw awa...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

I suppose you pay for what you get in life.
Great service from th emoment i arrived with other business collegues.
Concierge to front desk staff look to be well trained to ensure you are heading in the right direction.
Room was amazing, very central location and didnt really want to leave.
Exceptional breakfast but same goes, pay more and get more.

Room Tip: I suppose they are all 5 star rooms so I doubt you would get a bad one.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

The room was compact yet functional which was perfect given that we were out most of the time in around Sydney and Bondi. The breakfast spread was great as was the room service.Only dislike was the pool which was indoors but didn't really care as Bondi more than made up for it ! The hotel is right in the middle of George Street so central and a 5 min walk down to the harbour and the malls where you have a selection of all different types of great restaurants. The stay here was ideal and definitely worth it

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Cairns
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

The Hilton Sydney suffers from one problem and one alone, the staff are downright rude.
The gentleman who checked me in would rather have been anywhere else, but doing his job. I had pre paid for the room and took the Hilton up on there upgrade offers, which had been confirmed before check in.

I had the email print out with me, and the check in agent told me they dont offer upgrades and no right to ask for one. It did not matter that I had the proof as far as he was concered, I altered the email and tryed to get a free upgrade ( which I had alreadly payed for! )

It took a manager to set the issue right, but recieved not a single sorry during the whole check in.

The rroms are small, but nice. The view is great. Sadly it was let down by the rude staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

The nicest Hilton I have ever stayed in. Great central location for shopping, within walking distance to Circular Quay and The Rocks (15-20 min) and Darling Harbour (5 min). Breakfast buffet is not worth it for AUS29 per person (I thought the quality was nothing special). Comfortable beds, great shower (hot water with strong pressure). A/C was blasting in my room and no matter what could not get it to turn off. Had a problem connecting to the wireless in my room - both the outside vendor and the internal IT person were super helpful in resolving the issue (they even brought me my own router to enhance the signal!) I was overcharged for some dry cleaning, and when I called to complain (bracing myself for a fight), I was promptly offered free breakfast for the remainder of my stay (customer service wowed me). I was overcharged for internet on my final bill and did not notice until I got home - it took a couple weeks of emailing back and forth but finally over $80 was credited to my card. The Concierge team was very helpful (they even found someone to accompany me to a rugby game at the last minute!)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

Upon arrival the lobby was bustling and a little stressful. Apparently there were 3 conferences in house during our stay. The receptionist was very professional and had a lovely welcoming smile.
We were generously upgraded to a deluxe room on the 30th floor. Thank goodness, as this room was still quite small (and ordinary!). I wouldn't bother getting a high floor unless it is a room facing the harbour. I would also try to stay away from any room categories below this one as they might be a bit small.

We are probably used to the Westin/Sheraton heavenly beds - but our bed at the Hilton was a little uncomfortable, plus the sheets felt very rough.

We were also bothered by the guest in the room above us stomping/running around. It was really loud at 6am in the morning!

Bathroom was tiny, but clean with lovely products.

Every staff member we encountered was wonderful and the location is so great and close to the mall, so we'd probably consider staying again.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are too small - just pay extra to upgrade!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple