“Central. Rooftop pool.”

Ranked #72 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Central. Rooftop pool.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I can't think of a reason not to stay here, but the only compelling reason I can think to recommend it is the rooftop pool, but that's primarily because when i checked in the temperature was pushing 42C. Only stayed for a night but location was handily close to train to the airport and a nice walk into the centre. Was slightly annoyed that wi-fi wasn't free.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Blue133
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Blue133

Thanks for your recent review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and delighted you enjoyed use of our rooftop swimming pool.

I hope we will see you again in the future.

Joanne Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The room was spacious enough and clean, however the walls were paper thin. On one side of me was a room of young girls and boys. They were not overly noisy, but I could still hear every word they were saying, which was annoying when trying to get to sleep. On top of that, my room was directly outside the elevator. I was able to listen to every conversation of the people waiting to get on the lift, and those that got off. It had no microwave in the room which I would have liked. The location for me was good and the reception was friendly.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rod S

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry to hear about the paper thin walls - it is certainly not a complaint we hear regularly.

I am pleased to hear that you liked the location and that the staff were friendly.

With thanks
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute based on 1) the price, and 2) reputation. I booked a standard room for $139.00, which is pretty good for an inner-city hotel. However, I was disappointed with basic housekeeping and some aspects of service.

My experience relates to room 514, and understand that perhaps this may not reflect the entirety of the property. While the room appeared modern, it is starting to get shabby. I had torn carpet around the mini-bar and the walls were all scuffed and grubby. Initially, this didn't really bother me - until other problems began popping up.

I was getting ready to head out for the evening and, after washing my face, was a little disgusted to find myself with a USED hand towel with lipstick marks. The towel had been folded in a way that the marks were hidden. I ordered some room service and when it was delivered I asked the attendant to please hand this to the duty manager (on a side note, the food was ok and the attendant was polite in asking to enter my room).

When I went to turn on the television I found that the remote control (also quite old and grubby with the button instructions faded away) would not turn on the television. It changed the channels and everything, just not on/off. I was in the room for another 30-40mins or so and yet, the duty manager did not make contact. When I returned much later in the evening, I also found that no effort had been made to even replace the dirty towel.

I went to get a beer from the mini-bar and the top was showing signs of rust. Not just one. All of them. Needless to say, no beer for me. I went to make a cup of tea, and found a dirty spoon.

My room was a king room, where twin beds are zipped together. I am very aware that there is always a little lump in the middle when this is the case, but this one was quite pronounced, with the left-hand side of the bed well-worn. Not so comfortable.

When I went to shower in the morning, I had to wipe the bath down. Black dirty marks were on the bottom. When I stepped into the shower much of the grout and sealant was visibly mouldy. Again, I understand how hard it can be to keep mould out of a bathroom with no windows. However this is not a domestic bathroom. This is a bathroom that I have paid to use and one that is cleaned everyday. Mould at this level is just unacceptable.

To top it off, while I was packing my bags at 10:30am (noting that the in-room literature identifies check out by 11am) I received a knock on the door from housekeeping... I had to politely inform the employee that since check-out wasn't until 11am, no I would not let her into my room...

Now, Reception. I completely understand that the receptionists job also involves taking phone calls and making booking. Great. Fine. I make bookings too. However, when I am standing in a queue at the desk and my turn comes to check-in I do not expect to be ignored while you answer the phone. Some simple eye contact would have sufficed. Maybe a polite mouthing gesture of 'I'll be one moment'. When I check out, I also expect that I be asked 'how was your stay'. It might have stopped me coming on Trip Advisor!!!

Any of my above issues, on their own, would not have bothered me. Stuff happens! However, when put all together it created a negative overall experience. Some might be asking 'why didn't you ask to change rooms?'. Well, since I am not in the habit of checking for rusty beers, dirty spoons, uncomfortable beds or mouldy showers when I check-in, I didn't discover these until it really was too much hassle to pack up my stuff and move at 1am.

I am also going to pre-empt the response from the hotel representatives of 'we wish you brought this to our attention'. I did. I gave a staff member a dirty towel that was in my room. No response. When I checked out, reception staff gave the distinct impression that they didn't want to hear about any issues. That's why I am here.

Room Tip: Avoid room 514.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear blw_12_12

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I'd appreciate if you would be able to contact me at your convenience to discuss 02 8272 3300.

Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here as part of a tour package, so I do not know the room prices. The location is great for walking to the downtown area - the aquarium is perhaps an easy mile walk and you are v. close to the park. Our room was modestly appointed - not great, but functional. The associated bar is fine, and good for a latte in the am. The breakfast is average. Would look around town for another option on next visit, but would stay here if in a hurry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Many thanks for your positive review of Vibe Sydney - I hope we will see you again next time you are in Sydney.

Warrnambool, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This hotel is idealy located in the CBD of Sydney. Close to Hyde Park, Oxford Street, Paddy's Market, Darling Harbour, Shopping and places to eat. Plenty of public transport just out side the door incluing the free 555 bus doing a continuous loop from Central Station to Circular Quay. The hotel staff were freindly and helpfull. The room we booked was spacious but the shower head was loose and would aim properly. I thought the Continental Breakfast was over priced at $24 per person for what you got. However over all I would receommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 101. It's on it's own at the end of a corridor with a Conferance Room just...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keepontravelling_55

London
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Though not as good as the Vibe Hotel at Surfers Paradise as it feels a tad older, this hotel has a great location and ideal for a Sydney city stay. We were able to walk to most places from the hotel, including Hyde Park, Central station, the shopping district around Pitt St and more. There are plenty of buses about too, including the free 555 shuttle.

The room was fairly spacious and the bed was comfortable. The only suggestion for improvement I have is for the bathrooms - whilst clean they are showing signs of age and could benefit from a facelift.

Very happy with our stay given the deal we obtained by booking in advance. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others who are visiting Sydney.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I suggested to my mum and sister (18 years old) that we stay at Vibe as I had previously stayed with friends a few years ago. It is in a great location as we were attending a conference down at the Entertainment Centre and it was an easy walk. The car park next door also was convenient as we were staying 3 nights.

I was hesistant upon reading reviews on here about unfriendly staff but seems that we got lucky.

Upon arrival we found our room to have a Queen bed and a very small pull out sofa. Even though we had booked for 3 people we only had 2 glasses in the room, 2 spoons, 2 towels and 2 soaps. We called room service who were helpful and attentative.

We ordered coffees before going off to the conference. We went down to the cafe after the first night of our conference to find the kitchen was closed, it was about 10pm. I just wanted a biscuit yet no one seemed to know the price. I was told it was $4.50 - i think she made it up.

The following day we went to order coffees again and the lady working had remembered our coffees from the previous day (which was nice, good memory) - Except... we wanted something different. She not only seemed to tune out, but got our coffees wrong and gave out one the wrong size.

The room was very run down which is not as I remembered it a couple of years ago, the button on our toilet was so hard to push we called maintenance to help - the metal around the button was practically falling off which is why it was so hard.

The shower head kept falling down and would not aim up - lucky none of us are over 5'5!!

The bed was uncomfortable will very hard pillows and the sofa bed was terrible too. Noise levels were okay.

It wasn't that bad but all the small things add up and it was a bit disappointing considering how run down it has become I probably wouldn't stay again. The price is average - but there are many other Sydney hotels with better than average rooms for the same price.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor. Hopefully a room thats a bit newer.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear JasminezFizz

I'm sorry to read your review and welcome you to call me to discuss 02 8272 3300.