“Good Vibes have worn off”
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

Vibe Hotel Sydney
Ranked #76 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I suggested to my mum and sister (18 years old) that we stay at Vibe as I had previously stayed with friends a few years ago. It is in a great location as we were attending a conference down at the Entertainment Centre and it was an easy walk. The car park next door also was convenient as we were staying 3 nights.

I was hesistant upon reading reviews on here about unfriendly staff but seems that we got lucky.

Upon arrival we found our room to have a Queen bed and a very small pull out sofa. Even though we had booked for 3 people we only had 2 glasses in the room, 2 spoons, 2 towels and 2 soaps. We called room service who were helpful and attentative.

We ordered coffees before going off to the conference. We went down to the cafe after the first night of our conference to find the kitchen was closed, it was about 10pm. I just wanted a biscuit yet no one seemed to know the price. I was told it was $4.50 - i think she made it up.

The following day we went to order coffees again and the lady working had remembered our coffees from the previous day (which was nice, good memory) - Except... we wanted something different. She not only seemed to tune out, but got our coffees wrong and gave out one the wrong size.

The room was very run down which is not as I remembered it a couple of years ago, the button on our toilet was so hard to push we called maintenance to help - the metal around the button was practically falling off which is why it was so hard.

The shower head kept falling down and would not aim up - lucky none of us are over 5'5!!

The bed was uncomfortable will very hard pillows and the sofa bed was terrible too. Noise levels were okay.

It wasn't that bad but all the small things add up and it was a bit disappointing considering how run down it has become I probably wouldn't stay again. The price is average - but there are many other Sydney hotels with better than average rooms for the same price.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor. Hopefully a room thats a bit newer.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear JasminezFizz

I'm sorry to read your review and welcome you to call me to discuss 02 8272 3300.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel itself is fabulous great rooms and the staff were helpful enough.

Due to the Sydney fashion week, I was transferred here for one night and handed over my credit card details as is all hotels policy to get a room for the night.
Returning home after two weeks attending a course only to find both hotels have charged me mini bar fees for which I had not consumed.

Unfortunately, I have now had to chase up both to have these fees reversed. This has angered me enough to write this review of complaint.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Arianrhod10

I'm really sorry to read your review and the issue with the minibar charges which I hope are now all sorted out.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we might see you again.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was on a business trip and only needed a night's accommodation to sleep and shower, so the hotel was chosen because it was very close to the SMC Conference Centre and at a reasonable price. Anything clean and basic would do me.

So, in the roughly 9 hours I spent in the hotel (most of them asleep) I didn't really get to take any advantage of what turned out to be a more-than-basic hotel.

The lobby was quite stylish yet still looked comfortable to sit and relax in (the two don't always go together) and there was an attractive coffee shop off the side of the foyer, that looked like it might have been a nice place for breakfast (except I was rushing to an early-starting meeting and didn't find the time).

The room (which I believe was just a standard one) was extremely spacious with a large comfortable bed, sofa, a huge wardrobe/dressing area, leading onto the bathroom.

I believe there was a rooftop pool area but I didn't get a chance to see it but it looked quite nice from the photo in the room that I saw.

An unexpected bonus was the view directly from the room was across the street to an old Lutheran church, a little piece of heritage that I'd never seen before.

Small annoyances. Yet another hotel where they provide a kettle without thinking through how you will put water in the kettle. Like many hotels, the size of the sink and the placement of the tap makes the kettle very hard to fill. Can't the bathroom designers and the kettle buyers talk to one another for a change? If this hotel really wants to be funky, give me an Nespresso machine in the room instead of instant coffee and an unfunky hard-to-fill kettle.

Service at reception was a bit of a mixed experience. I was in a hurry when I checked-in as I had to be across town fairly soon and I encountered a rather officious but inefficient clerk at check-in. There also seemed to be a lot more paperwork and process than normal involved in checking-in, and when I commented on it, the clerk said it was Wotif policy (I had booked through Wotif), but as I regularly book through Wotif, I know that it is not so. More likely, it might have been hotel policy for a Wotif booking. When you have pre-booked and pre-paid, a lot of places just want your name and your credit card for any incidental expenses, so I found having my drivers licence photocopied, forms to fill in etc, to be rather excessive, especially as I was in a hurry. Then, after all that, my room card would not operate the lift, so I had to go racing back to reception to sort that out, and then had to queue to get that sorted out.

But, to balance the story, check-out next morning was very efficient and the desk clerk went out onto the street to personally flag down a taxi for me.

Overall, because of the spaciousness of the rooms, I would definitely consider returning here for a longer and/or more recreational visit. For an overnight business trip, the check-in experience would put me off a bit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor. I am sorry there was a delay with your check in, there is no logical reason this should happen. We do follow the Wotif contract instructions which are that we must copy your photo ID and take a credit card in the name that is on the reservation.

I will follow up with the team to ensure that this is not an arduous process.

Thank you again for your feedback.

With thanks

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We picked the Vibe for its location. The room was beautiful but a high price for 2 twin beds and a full sleeper sofa. None of them were made for comfort. Two queens and good mattresses would have been much nicer. It was very clean and we had a great view of town from the balcony. This hotel is very classy and their coffee bar has the best coffee and the cafe is right there. This hotel is probably meant for the younger, trendy "twenty-somethings" who are there for all the fun Sydney has to offer and are willing to let comfort go in place of being in the middle of everything.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your review and are very pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff who were more than happy to help, offering to secure bags and give us a map of our surroundings. The room was excellent and well presented . Location was great and very quiet considering we were in Sydney. Attached cafe was also great and handy to access at the end if an action packed day. The vibe was everything I hoped for to spend a special weekend away with my mother. We will definitely return to the vibe and have already recommended it to others!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Reading some of the recentreviews we were a bit concerned at what we would find. We needn't have worried, arriving early after a 30 hour journey from the UK the staff were fantastic and check in couln't have been better. The room (713) was spotless and contained two single and a very large double bed (a Queen?) and overlooked the rear of the hotel so no traffic noise. The room was kept immaculate during our 14 nights stay and the bedding changed four times, including for our last night. To be picky one of the double glazed windows had a crack in the bottom corner and I never got the shaver socket to work but had my own adaptor so no real issue.

We were on a room only basis so ate out a lot but used the Curve Cafe for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every meal was served by smiling attentive staff and was delicious, the lunch menu at $15 is excellent value (Sydney now 3rd most expensive city in the world as my credit card will attest). The room had tea and coffee facilities and these were topped up daily as was the fridge, which contained soft drinks, water, beer, wine etc at reasonable prices ($5 for a light beer).

Checkout was efficient and painless and we would certainly return when next in Sydney. The location is excellent with the 555 free CBD bus running from outside the hotel and a short walk into the the city itself. Central Station is 5 mins walk away.

We loved it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the "lane" at the back will be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 days on business in Sydney. On arrival the front line reservation reception staff , one employee in particular Sarah really set the mood for our 3 day stay. I have travelled the world and stayed in a variety of accommodation standards, however have never come across such rude staff. Don't expect ANY customer service at this hotel. The room was dirty, the doona cover had stains on it. I had changed straight away and the bathroom had hair on the floor. After a long day at work we decided to eat in the restaurant. Don't bother! when a chef plates burnt food, there is obviously very serious internal problems in this hotel. I asked the waitress what she thought and she said it looked terrible. The next night I ordered room service, the glass of wine I ordered to accompany my meal came an hour after I had eaten despite a call on the arrival of the meal. Checking out , we discovered we had been charged for things we had not had... All in all worst hotel ever.

Room Tip: rooms are quiet just don't expect a nice view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent response - I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and welcome you to call or email me to discuss 02 8272 3300 or jjenkins@toga.com.au