“Great location”
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

Ranked #74 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned home from a week here spent sightseeing around Sydney. Great central spot to explore from with handy access to buses including the free shuttle bus and trains. Main places of interest and Circular Quay to catch ferries within 20 minutes walking distance. Friendly and helpful service. Clean and well kept room which was quite large and had an apartment feel to it. Shame that wifi is so expensive.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear richiesoft,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are pleased to hear that you liked the room and you found it large and clean.
Our location is very central and we are in the middle of everything so you are never far from any of the large attractions our great city has to offer.
I really appreciate your feedback in regards to the WiFI and we are changing this very soon in our public areas. This will mean that our guests will be able to get free WIFI for a 30 mins when they stay with us. We will be advertising this publicly as this change occurs in the near future.
We look forward to seeing you again soon and should you need anything in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Vibe Hotel Sydney

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at the Vibe Sydney for a week in October and it exceeded my expectations. Arrived quite early and the room wasn't ready yet which was a bit sad. But the very friendly receptionist offered me a coffee at their cafe and seemed to do her best to speed things up "behind the scenes". About 30 min. later I got my keys! Very nice.

My room was on level 5. And it felt more like a small inner city apartment than your average hotel room. A home away from home.

The Vibe is a very friendly, casual yet well-designed and professionally managed hotel with excellent value for money. What also stood out was the team, both at the reception and the restaurant, always all smiles and happy to help. Would recommend the Vibe's restaurant for dinner. Had a very nice tuna steak with a great New Zealand Sauv Blanc and a great Wagyu beef steak with quite a lovely Merlot (forgot where from, but the hotel supported a charity with the wine, thumbs up!).

If anything the hotel could improve breakfast buffet variety and atmosphere in the restaurant at nights. The menu and the staff would deserve it!

Thank you for a great stay!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear UpperClovelly,
Thank you kindly for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room and also dined with us in the restaurant and found the food and beverage quality of a great standard.
Our buffet is due for a makeover and the appearance will also change shortly. Hopefully this will give a better impression to all our guests of the breakfast room.
The atmosphere in the cafe at night will also change shortly with are more inviting feel.
Our new F&B manager has great plans in turning this space into a cosy and inviting area where everyone will feel welcome and want to go for dinner at night.
I will make sure to share your review with the team at our team meeting next week as we can certainly learn from your experience.
Once again thank you kindly for your feedback.
We hope to see you soon again at Vibe Hotel Sydney.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hotels are interesting places. I started and finished my stay at the Vibe in Sydney with an argument. I find the attitudes towards guests vary wildly - some are delighted to have guests, others are contemptuous and seem to do everything possible to ensure you don't come back. Ever. The attitudes don't seem to bear any relationship to the number of stars or the price of a room.

On arrival at the hotel, I discovered they wished to "hold" or "pre-authorise" $200 on my credit card and take a copy of my driver's licence. The $200 would not be available again on my credit card until "at least" 24 hours after checking out. This last part is blamed on the banks.

I stay in a lot of hotels and understand the need for personal details and some kind of security. As a matter of principle, I will not allow money to be held on my credit card if it is more than $1. I'd prefer to leave a cash security deposit which can be refunded instantly.

After some wrangling I managed to negotiate $25 to held on my credit card and $175 to be paid via EFTPOS. When it was done, the man who was serving me (the duty manager) "accidentally" the transaction through as a purchase on the credit card. He then refunded it and put it through again as a pre-authorisation. The interesting thing about this is that they all come up as a debit on the credit card and therefore $50 had been debited to the credit card. I had negotiated for $25 out of the credit card because that was the amount of available credit on the card. The manager's mistake put me over the credit limit. Thanks very much. It has taken three days for the reversal to come through on the actual card.

On enquiring about breakfast later in the evening I was asked if I'd like to book for the buffet. I asked if that was necessary and was informed that breakfast without a booking costs $29, but with a booking it costs $20. Lucky I checked.

I was upgraded to a junior suite and it is great to have extra other than the bed. That's an appreciated gesture, but doesn't remove my concerns about the hotel's credit card policy.

The most interesting and bizarre aspect of the conversation I had with the duty manager was his statement that the credit card policy is designed to keep me safe! When I asked him to explain this he muttered something about being a "CBD hotel" with people coming an doing. He was very displeased when I used the term "better class of guest".

Checking out was a very complex and fraught experience. Firstly there were extra breakfasts and dinners and items from the mini bar which I had not incurred. Then they tried to subtract the $25 credit card charge from the cash deposit I had left! (They reduced the cash deposit from $175 to $150 on the bill before deducting all the phantom charges.)

It pays to check the bill in detail before you pay. I've noticed that hotels often ask for payment and then you get a receipt. After a few bad experiences I now ask to see a printed bill which I check before I pay. It means they have to print two pieces of paper, but I don't think it's reasonable to ask for payment without providing details.

I think it's quite revealing that the staff at the hotel were put in a position where they were apologising for the hotel's credit card policy and agreeing that it is onerous and unfair. The cutest part of all is that the bill will automatically be paid with the credit card provided on check in. That attracts a 1.5% surcharge regardless of the card used.

Once settled I asked for the copy of my driver's licence to be returned to me and left as quickly as I could.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear littleedlo

Thank you very much for your time and your feedback in regards your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Sydney.
Upon arrival we informed you that require and credit card and that we will complete a preauthorization on your card.
As we informed you on check in your travel agent is aware of that and should have informed you as the booking was made by your agent. Unfortunately it is out of our control how third parties communicate terms & conditions with their customers.
We do understand that you prefer a cash bond, but our policy clearly states that a credit card is required. As a courtesy to you we made an arrangement for a cash deposit instead and we were going to make a preauthorization for the $ 25.00.
We are very sorry that we charged the card and we do apologize for this occurring but it happened accidentally. We picked this up straight away and we fixed it and explained this to you on the desk at the time.
We are sorry that the reversing of the $25-hold caused an inconvenience to you and that you were not happy about the process we are using every day with all our guests.

Security of our guests is very important to us and I’m sorry that you do not agree that a credit card policy is part of this.
We did explain that to you in more detail upon check in as well. We were shocked about the comment you made in regards to “better class guests” as all guests in our hotels in our opinion are people of the same value.

I’m sorry to hear about your check out experience. An info invoice is always provided and
our reception team goes through the invoice with our guests to make sure everything is correct before we charge anything.
Mistakes do happen and we’re more than happy to fix them. we clearly reject that we tried to
defraud you and we find your comment invalid as we follow our company rules as explained to you at check in.
It is also not true that the payment will automatically be paid with a credit card. If you prefer to pay cash or EFTPOS on check out you do not have to pay a 1.5 % surcharge and this was also explained to you upon check in.

We will most certainly get in contact with your travel agent as this situation could have been avoided if you would have been informed by them at the time you made your booking. In the future you need to be aware that hotels do have clear policies of preauthorizations and the amounts may vary depending on where you are in the world.
It would be great to welcome you back in the future, and should you choose us again then we would be delighted to have you as our guest.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a very nice modern hotel in central Sydney convenient for Paddy's Market, Chinatown, Darling Harbour and Central Station. it is only two stops away on the train to Central Quay. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and clean and the staff very helpful. It is very easy to find if you take the train to Museum Station, cross the road and walk down Elizabeth Street for one block and it is situated on the next corner. We had breakfast on three of the days of our stay and there was a nice if unchanging selection. Breakfast is AUS$28 but this is reduced to AUS$20 if you book it the night before. We never ate in the restaurant in the evening as it seemed a bit pricey but the Crown Hotel on the opposite corner serves an excellent selection of very nice meals at a far more reasonable prices. The hotel has a pool, gym and sauna on the 9th floor which we didn't use but looked really nice. The only drawback was a fire alarm at 5:00 am on our first morning because someone was smoking in their room but the hotel provided free breakfasts to the guests for the inconvenience. Internet access is available in the rooms but is expensive. The hotel has coin operated PCs in the lobby at AUS$2 for per 20 minutes with facilities for printing at .50c a page. We fully enjoyed our stay and highly recommended the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 9th floor do not have access by elevator and luggage has to be carried up the stairs. O...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jollyjambo
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear Jollyjambo,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our service great at the same time.
Breakfast is normally $ 29.00 per person and as you write you are offered a discount if you purchase this on the front desk the day prior.
We think our location is great and we feel we are in the middle of everything in our great city.
We hope to see you soon again and should you need anything at all in the meantime then do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Excellent facilities and close walk to large shopping centre................Darling Harbour 15min walk away Extra large room so good for family George Street is close by and its a good steady walk down to the Sydney Opera House.......................

Room Tip: request a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Elisabeth C,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our location.
We hope to see you again in the near future and should you need anything in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Caspar P. schmidt

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at the Vibe Hotel not long after arriving from Belfast. On arrival I was greeted by the most friendly and observant reception staff who dealt with my check in very efficiently; which is a must after a long 24 hour flight. The hotel room was very stylish, large with separate living and dining area, massive bed and a large bathroom with separate bath and shower. The quality of the food on offer at the Vibe Hotel Sydney was top class and the menu choice was exquisite. The hotel is well located within the buzzing streets of Sydney and close to Hyde Park. It also has a roof top pool to dip into cool when the Australian heat becomes too much. I thoroughly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again. So if anyone is heading to Sydney I would make this your first choice of hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Heather F,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback about Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room and the food in the restaurant.
We always try our best to have some rooms ready for our guests that arrive early and we are happy to hear that your room was ready as you came to the hotel after your long flight.
The pool area was recently refurbished and is now a little "oasis" in the middle of the city with green turf and nice new lounge furniture making it a perfect place to start the day with a quick swim before going shopping in our great city.
We hope to see you soon again and should you need anything in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed for two nights last week. I arrived early and was unable to check-in to my room, but was recognised as a frequent guest by both the hotel manager (Kasper) and the assistant manager (Timothy), they kindly stored my luggage and offered me a free coffee in the hotel cafe. When a returned to the hotel around 2pm my room was ready, and the luggage was already in my room. Later that same day I ordered room service which arrived after 30 mins, only minus was that the salt shaker was empty. The food however was good (I didn't really need the salt). I had breakfast both mornings and although it was busy the food was always nice and warm. (have stayed in other hotels, where there has been plenty of hot food but most of it cold) On Friday morning I was suprised to see that they offered omelettes cooked to order in the breakfast room, this was really popular, but well worth the wait. Housekeeping was fine durning my stay, but they changed all the towels and the bed linen even though I had left the towels on the bathroom rail. I thought that was indicating that they didn't need to be changed. It was nice to have the bed linen changed, but I didn't really need to have them changed since it was only a two nights stay. All in all it was a really nice stay, with good and friendly service. Only minus was that I couldn't get a taxi when I checked out.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear HamletSweden,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback about Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service on the front desk and also enjoyed the breakfast and the room service.
Our goal is always to recognize our frequent guests and we are very pleased to hear that you felt we looked after you a little extra.
We will share this review with the team as we can all learn from your experience.
We are sorry about the taxi situation but it can be very tricky when its peak hour.
The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back again sometime in the future.