“Great location”
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

Vibe Hotel Sydney
Ranked #76 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Have recently had a stay here while at a conference in the nearby Masonic convention centre. The location and closeness to the convention centre was the key reason for staying here. The second key part of the location is the closeness to the Museum train station which is on the airport line. Also within walking distance are Central and Town Hall train stations, China Town, Surry Hills, Darling harbour and the CBD itself.

The room itself was quite large, containing a large queen bed (two singles zipped together) two chairs with a glass table, plus a writing table and chair. There was a separate bathroom with shower over bath.

My only criticism can be the website. It was impossible to find out if the room contained an iron (it did) an ironing board (it did) and an internet connection (it did, at a cost). For business travellers, this information is essential.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Marc B
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Dear Marcb1970,

Thank you for your very informative feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We really appreciate feedback that we can do something about straight away.
I will contact our Head Office and have the information you have mentioned added to our website immediately.
We hope to see you again in the future and should you need anything in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights recently for work and found the hotel really good.

Stayed on the 7th floor. Nothing mind blowing but a nice spacious room with a King Bed, clean bathroom and all the facilities you would need.

Good points:
Staff - really friendly and helpful
Healthy options in the restaurant - tasty and affordable healthy breakfast - could be half the size and charge less though - even lots of healthy options are bad for you.

Bad points
Aircon was efficient but hard to control
Not a great Gym - if you're a gym junkie pack your runners. Just some cardio gear and some dumbells
You need an access card to get all around the hotel - which gets a bit painful if you know people staying on other floors

I'd definitely go back again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Captialscarfie,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The entire team is working hard to make sure every guest enjoys their time while being in house.
Thank you for your comments about the healthy options in the restaurant I will most defiantly look into the size and pricing issue.
The gym is going to get updated in the new financial year and we will make sure the equipment is of a good variety so there is something for everyone.
The hotel floors are due to security reasons only accessible with a key card, and I understand your point, but this system was put in place with the safety of guests in mind.
We hope to see you soon again and want to thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Where do I begin?
Bathrooms have a disgusting amount of mould, the toilet flusher is ridiculously hard to flush and uses so much water. We had to be room moved due to a room with no hot water after a day. The second room, the shower went cold halfway meaning the cold water had to be completely turned off then a minute later the water got hot again. This happened more than once.

The kettle was stained brown, the spoons and mugs looked dirty, there were weird light coloured stains on the dark carpet. Beds were uncomfortable. A weird bug was found in the bathtub.

The carpet needed a good vacuuming near the baseboard. The quilt covers are supposed to be black and white stripes. It looked like it had not been replaced in years and was all faded and worn out - looks like something you'd find in a second hand shop or in a hostel.

Tv in first room had a noisy buzz which meant you had to turn the vol way up to cover the buzzing.

The parking info on their website says 1 entry/1 exit $25 at the parking stn opp the hotel. You can actually enter and exit unlimited times, which would have been nice to know before we purposely left the car in a side street overnight so we could use it. Side street parking recommendation is on reservoir st near samuel st. It's about 7min walk and offers 1hr free pkg. Parking on the bang bang cafe side is unlimited after 5.15pm and before 8 or 8.30am on mon-fri and on weekends so you can park from about 4.15pm to 9 or 9.30am overnight on weekdays and all weekend for free. Be sure to check street signs as the parking restrictions are different along sections of that street.

Asked reception for toothpaste. The guy said no they didnt have but didn't look sure. So I called down 15 min later when they changed staff and was told yes come down. Then after going down they said it was $3. I complained that they should have said it wasn't complimentary before making me come down. So she ended up giving it to me for free.

Complained to the duty manager about the quality of the so called four an a half star hotel and managed to get the car parking cost comped. She offered an "upgrade if available" on our next visit -Not really enough to pull me back in. I told her that the 3 star travelodge down the road was a cleaner and better experience. I've stayed in dingy hostels that were cleaner than this place.

On the plus side, some of the customer service though was good. Not spectacular but better than average. The price wasnt bad for the area but it cost more than the nearby Travelodge and the Cambridge and both were far superior. It looked like all the money went into the lobby and nothing to the rooms.

Location is good. A bit of a walk to darling harbour and casino. Not too bad to Pitt st mall. Close to museum stn and Hyde Park.

Pool was heated I think. It was bearable on a cool day. The rooftop pool is only good before 3pm during the colder months as sun is blocked by the neighbouring buildings. Gym is basic and there is a sauna too.

I doubt I'd ever stay there or at any other vibe hotel again based purely on this experience. I recommend travelodge and the Cambridge for hotels in the area with similar price point (of around $100/nt).

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Steph L

Dear Chloeisacat,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
Firstly I am sorry to hear you had such a bad stay. I am fully aware that there were some hot water issues in the building that was later fixed and I can only apologize for this massive inconvenience. This was caused by a damaged main out on Elisabeth Street, but it does not make it easier to deal with.
I have checked your room and we have changed the kettle, mugs and spoons to new ones today.
The carpets in the hotel are getting changed after 1/7-2012 and we will are all looking forward to that happening. The general cleanliness of the room I have seen today with the housekeeper has been appropriate so I am not sure what you are referring to with your comments?
The TV should have been fixed when you reported it and I can see from the log that this did happen.
In regards to parking in the parking facility across the road, then I will have your comment added to our website so there is no confusion going forward. When you check in this is explained to you, but perhaps we missed that as well…. The toothpaste issue seems amazing to me and I am happy we did not charge you all though that is the normal procedure. The pool is heated and it is like that all year around.
Overall it seems like we have not provided you with a satisfactory service and accommodation that lived up to your expectations and I therefore would like for you to contact me next time you are in town so we can show you what we are really about.
Thank you for your feedback about our customer service, we try our best.
I want to thank you for all your feedback and I can assure you we take all of this seriously.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent 4 nights here - reasonably located at the southern end of Hyde Park but quite a walk to any major sights. Close to Chinatown and Surry Hills there are pplenty of dining options

The room was spacious and had been renovated, but clearly to a budget. The cost of the mini-bar items was very high e.g. $6 for a bottle of water?! The mattress was very soft, which by the 3rd night wasn't brilliant (but then we are used to a hard mattress)

Staff were friendly and efficient, at the desk and housekeeping too

I didn't like the fact that we had to pay a deposit on arrival, not something I have experienced anywhwere else in the world, but seems to be a common theme to Australian hotels for some reason. Also, the cost of wi-fi was extortionate, so we didn't bother to log on at all - again this seems to be a fairly unique Australian thing with no free w-fi and charged out at very high cost!

For the money this is a good option, although if you only have limited time in the city you may wish to choose something closer to the Harbour

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mapmanish

Dear Mapmanish,

Thank you for your great feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay while you were with us.
I will personally inspect your room today and we will be changing the mattress if it is too soft.
Your comments about minibar and Wi-Fi are correct and I can only agree with you. The minibar is there for a convenience point of view if you don’t want to leave the hotel, prices are higher than usual but that is normal around the world.
The Wi-Fi issue is something we are looking into, but you can actually log on for less than $12.00 a day if you chose the right package for your stay. Another option is to use the internet kiosk located in the reception where you can log on for 10 mins for $1.00.
The deposit you refer to is actually just a pre-authorization that holds an amount to cover for your incidentals. It is the same in the US and Europe.
I am happy to hear that you had a good stay and that you liked the hotel in general.
We would be delighted to welcome you back again next time you visit Sydney.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

The hotel is centrally located inside the city, it's easily accessible to World Square, Sony Center, and a few more blocks to Chinatown and Darling Harbour. The outside of the hotel looks young and hip with the bright decor and lively colors. The inside was just so-so. We had a double bed room, and the beds are small (not sure if that is an Aussie thing). The room is very minimalist, there's a table for desk and chair, and a small sitting area, but there's only one trash can. The bathroom is decent size, but there's no shower curtain. They have a half glass shield, which I do feel bad for housekeeping, because it does leak, which means water is everywhere. They do have a mini bar, and a coffee maker, which for us it doesn't work. The closet is small, and ours has a patch without carpet, which was awkward. They have a good coffee bar down at the lobby, which also serve alcohol later in the day. They do have a restaurant in house but you're so close to so much food that you should go out to explore. There is a 555 free bus stop right by the hotel, it takes you to alot of the popular attractions, very helpful to have that here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear WannabeHouston,
Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in general. Our beds are Kings, Queens or Singles and they do differ in size in comparison to the US.
Our rooms are simple but large in comparison to other hotel rooms around the CBD and the colours of bedheads, show pillows etc. all differ depending on which level you stay on.
The location is very central and this is helpful to all of our guests. Your room has the shower in bathtub which is standard here in Australia, but I will inspect to see it a curtain is needed as you have indicated.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, should you visit Sydney again.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

This is the first time I went to Sydney with my wife. Its our honeymoon trip. We stayed there for 8nights starting near end of April at room 22x.
PROS:
Great location as close to museum station and free shuttle bus.
Coles is 7min walk away.
Staff is fair as usually lack of smile but still able to help.
There is cheap airport shuttle van where u can purchase the ticket in advance at convenience shop nearby. A$12@.
Many Japanese and Korean snack shop nearby. And some Japanese cuisine too.
CONS:
Room is large and quiet but the cold water taps are too hard to turn or slip off. Two lights not working.
一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一一

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear bbchu,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are happy to hear that you had a great time while being on your honeymoon and we hope that you will be back with us again in the future.
We have checked your taps as you indicated upon check out and this issue has now been fixed. We have also changed your light bulbs. I will speak to the team about their friendliness as this should be a natural thing and they should be happy when on shift.
We hope that we left a good impression and we look forward to welcoming you back again to Vibe Hotel Sydney in the near future.

Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

I book the hotel at the airport for 3 nights and requested a king or queen bed but got a tiny single with disable bathroom. The way they have it set up when you have a shower every thing gets wet including the toilet paper. not like the room and unhelpful front desk staff I decided to move to another hotel. Paid the one night and expensive Internet. Then found out they had taken full 3 night as well. Over a month later and still no refund so the one night has cost me over $1,000.00 for one nights stay in a cheap hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank TezzaTivakorn

Dear Tezzativakorn,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Vibe Hotel Sydney.
I have looked into your reservation and it was made last minute from the airport concierge desk. The day you arrived we were out of rooms with Kings or Queens and we were unable to get you the bedding configuration you requested. This is not something that we think we can be blamed for as you did not book with us until last minute and you did not get your bedding configuration confirmed or guaranteed at the time of booking. I do agree that the Airport concierge desk should have explained this to you as they made the booking and I can only apologize for that.
We never charged your card as you indicate; we simply made a pre-authorization on the card which holds the funds until departure. We released your money upon check out, but this process can take up to 3-5 working days depending on your bank. You write that we have charged you for 3 days and this is simply not true.
We are more than happy to provide you with the evidence that we have not charged your card and we as operators should not be blamed for something like you have indicated. We can all make mistakes and we all learn from those but in this case we find it hard to be blamed for something that did not happen.
I can assure you that I have looking into this claim very seriously and I have personally gone through all your paperwork and can confirm that we have only charged your card for the first night and that is it.