“Another great stay at the Cambridge”

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #37 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Canberra
“Another great stay at the Cambridge”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I write this review with some hesitation. I feel like I want to keep this gem of a hotel all to myself, and in fact on my most recent trip to Sydney it was completely booked out and I had to stay elsewhere. But that would not be fair. It is overwhelmingly refreshing to come across a genuinely good hotel in Australia - providing both a great service and at fair price. Something that is hard to find in the Sydney hotel market.

Tucked just a few minutes away from one of Sydney's best eating and going out hubs, Crown St, this hotel is in superb location. There are literally dozens of great restaurants and a fair few good bars and hotels to satisfy most people's appetite. In addition to Crown St, the hotel is a short walk away to Oxford St and its infamous appeal. In addition to this both bus services to Bondi, and the Museum train station are nearby. So access to the rest of Sydney's sights are a breeze.

The hotel lobby area is very tastefully done out, and the bar at the back of hotel looks very swanky. The hotel check-in process was fairly speedy and efficient and the staff were very pleasant, and I noticed them giving extensive help to an elderly couple also checking-in. The room itself was once again a nice spacious room with very comfortable beds. The decor of the room was fairly modern and there was a flat-screen television along with foxtel. The bathroom had recently been renovated and was in very good condition.

I noticed the hotel did have room service, restaurant, internet, and swimming pool facilities, but I was too busy out enjoying Sydney to make use of these.

After checking out I realised I had left an important valuable item in the room. After going back to the hotel the staff were very helpful in retrieving this for me.

There is no doubt that on visiting Sydney again that this hotel would be my first choice, but sadly for me I've noticed that this hotel is becoming very popular (and for good reason) and so the availability of rooms is down and prices are creeping up.

Just across from the hotel there is a very good Irish bar worth visiting, and a new cafe called 'Robocog' on the same st does a truly great breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
Dear peder182,

Thank you very much for writing those wonderful comments. We would also like to thank you for choosing the Quality Hotel Cambridge, for your recent stay again.

We are delighted that we met your expectations; it definitely motivates us to maintain and improve our standard of service and hospitality. Our team is always striving to achieve the highest of guest satisfaction.
In the future, we are really happy to be so busy, please don’t hesitate to contact me or our reservation team, if you have any difficulties with making a booking in our hotel.

Once again, thank you very much for the great feedback, we will always be waiting to welcoming you, your family and your friends back home to The Quality Hotel Cambridge in the very near future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistant to you please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 25, 2010

We stayed at the Cambridge for 2 nights and We are so pleased that we wanted to let everyone know about this hotel

The Cambridge is just around the corner from The Winery, Crown Street and Hyde Park. There are heaps of fashionale boutiques, trendy cafes, wine bars and restaurants. It's situated in the best part of Surry Hills

Surry Hills is fast becoming the
SoHo of Sydney. The hotel is also an easy 10 minutes walk to the new Westfield in the city. It's a wonderful place to stay if you are looking for value and something different and trendy

The young staff were very friendly; the room was large and very clean ; most of all the bed was heaven

Overall we loved the hotel - we prefer to stay here than the city as we were experiencing the real Sydney life style and lived amongst the locals

• Stayed November 2010
Dear Lucca888,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience during your stay. We were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel.
It definitely motivates us to maintain and improve our standard of service and hospitality. Our team is always striving to achieve the highest of guest satisfaction. I have passed on your great comments to the staff and hope to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2010

The Quality Hotel Cambridge is a great place to launch your stay in Sydney - We walked to most places in thecity and enjoyed the experience greatly - A great place - clean and so easy ..

Dear wpiper,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel.
It is through guest feedback that we know what we are doing correctly and where we need to improve.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2010

The Cambridge is a spotlessly-renovated property, and its location in Surrey Hills is very convenient for walking around Sydney. It looks like a 1960's tower - about 14 stories. It's a longish (but pleasant) walk to Circular Quay or The Rocks, but not so far to Hyde Park. There are lots of good restaurants in the surrounding areas of Darlinghurst and Surrey Hills.
We stayed three nights - the first in a very small but adequate room. We were then moved into a balcony room which was really quite spacious and much better.
It's $20 for 24 hours of internet connection, which is an irritation, but still quite a fast and efficient service. Hotel staff seemed to be mainly young and international.
It's not all perfect - There is a slightly cramped feel to the lobby, the corridors and the lifts - all pretty small and tight, and can get crowded. Still, at a very reasonable price, in an excellent location, and with friendly and efficient staff - a good deal overall.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Bluey99,

Thank you for your decision to stay in our hotel.
We would also like to thank you for the time that you have spared in writing your wonderful comments toward our hotel. We were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel.

I have noticed your comment in regards to the internet charge; it is our biggest goal to satisfy our guests with fair rates to provide a great value for money. As most hotels in Sydney we are not able to included the internet service in those rates and still maintain the same affordable rates.

I have passed on your comments to all staff and we hope to see you again soon at the Quality Hotel Cambridge.

Upstate NY
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I had been in the Australia on business for several days and my wife flew in on Friday morning for a long weekend. I had been staying in a hotel in the suburbs, but we wanted a more central hotel for the weekend. I had read many of the reviews on this site and found myself wondering if I was staying in the same hotel once I arrived.

Location: This hotel is in the southern end of the city. I would forget about walking to the main attractions around Circular Quay or Darling Harbour, as it will take you at least 30 minutes. You will find yourself wanting to take a bus or CityRail, but more on that later. Oxford Street is right around the corner and has numerous clubs, pubs, coffee shops and reasonably priced restaurants (Sitar is fantastic). There is a supermarket in Oxford Square on the corner of Oxford and Riley Streets. Be aware that even though Hyde Park is right around the corner, I don’t see how any of the rooms in the hotel can have a view with all of the buildings in the way. The proximity to Oxford Street does come with some noise, but our location on the 12th floor helped muffle the sound.

Transportation: CityRail is very convenient, but is not as close to the hotel as you might think. It’s about a ten minute walk, entirely up hill, from Museum Station to the hotel. Be aware that there is no lift in Museum Station, so if you are hauling bags from the airport to the hotel, you will have to carry them up several flights of stairs. Trains to and from the airports stop at Museum, just check the monitors for a little airplane symbol. There is an additional gate charge at the airport stations that amounts to $10 one way, or $18 for a 7 day return ticket. It seems like a money grab that people just put up with because it’s still cheaper than taxis. The CityRail MyMulti ticket is a good deal if you are staying for a couple of days, as the hotel’s location will have you riding busses or trains to get to most of the sights. The MyMulti ticket allows you to ride all of the trains, busses and ferries for one price. Just check the zones and make sure you get the correct ticket for where you want to travel, you don’t want to pay for trains to zones 2 and 3 if you won’t be going that far. The busses are also very convenient, and sometimes easier than the trains. There are bus stops on Oxford Street and you can catch a bus in to Circular Quay and out to Bondai Beach from Oxford Street. The train to Bondai actually goes as far as Bondai Junction and then you will have to get on the same bus that goes right up Oxford Street, so just use the bus to begin with.

Rooms: We were given an upgrade from the “Premium” room that I had booked to a “Deluxe” room with a balcony. I have no idea what room they took the pictures of for the web site, but it was far from “Deluxe”. It had an uncomfortably firm queen bed with institutional grade bedding. The remainder of the furnishings were below college dormitory grade. The love seat and chair shown in the picture were nowhere to be found. The carpet was a depressing industrial grey. The bathroom was nice but tiny, with a shower and not the tub that is shown on the web site. The balcony was utilitarian, with a view of an alley and the neighboring building, and there was no screen on the large sliding glass door to keep out bugs. The “large flat screen LCD television” was awkwardly mounted low in the corner, and had a very limited channel lineup, that included what seemed to be the all soccer channel and the all cricket channel. With only ten rooms to a floor, it is hard to get a room that is not close to the elevator, and therefore subject to noise from drunk guests waiting for the elevator late at night.

Public Areas: We didn’t use the hotel restaurant. There is a Gloria Jean’s Coffee on Oxford Street where you can get breakfast for two for less than one can eat in the hotel. The lobby is clean and functional. When we arrived, our room wasn’t ready and my wife wanted to shower off 27 hours of travel. They gave us soap, shampoo, a towel and a key to the pool. The shower room by the pool did not have a lock on the door, and there is no mirror for hair, makeup, shaving, etc. The pool is tiny and the area around the pool had all the charm of a prison cell block.

Internet Access: The WiFi signal was strong on the 12th floor and it seemed that they had the hotel well covered, but $20 a day seemed excessive. Similar grade hotels in the States and Europe include it for free.

In summary, if you go in to this hotel with the right expectations, it will serve its purposes, and it is priced accordingly considering the cost of other hotels in Sydney. I would not go out of my way to stay here, but would consider it again.

Dear sevenseat,

Thank you for choosing the Quality Hotel Cambridge, for your recent stay in Sydney. We were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel.

We would also like to thank you for the time that you have spared in writing your wonderful comments toward our hotel. We are delighted that you were satisfied with your experience; it definitely motivates us to maintain and improve our standard of service and hospitality. Our team is always striving to achieve the highest of guest satisfaction.

We will always be waiting to welcoming you, your family and your friends back home to The Quality Hotel Cambridge in the very near future. In the meantime, if we can be of any further assistant to you please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Warm Regards

Steven Garagano
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Great location walking distance from all Sydney attractions. Stayed in triple room 3rd floor for 4 nights. Very noisy between weekend hen parties and also cleaning stock room adjoining, constant use from early morning, doors very squeaky (would advise bit of oil)and noise seemed to travel. Reception staff were great, very helpful and spent time advising us where to go. Also, could not split the bill at end of trip as already had taken money from credit card which was used as security only. Was not advised of his when we checked in. Overall bar noise, good value for money. Also recommend that cleaning staff clean mirrors in bathroom as when steamed up can't repeat online what previous client wrote :-)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear DebIRE,

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay with us. I have noted the concerns raised and will action these immediately with all Managers concerned. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction and thank you once again for your comments. Let me assure you we take all feedback in every instance very seriously.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind regards,

Australian and UK party
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This was just such a great & friendly hotel! The staff there knew everything about all the places we wanted to visit in Sydney while I stayed there and they gave great recommendations on places to eat and tours to do.

It has a really cool vibe when you walk in and even has a bright yellow scooter in the foyer. We stayed in the deluxe spa suite which was well worth what we paid.

One of the best places I've stayed in Sydney - highly recommend

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Dear Adventurers_9,

Thank you so much for taking your time in sharing your experience at Quality Hotel Cambridge. The staff is what makes the hotel stand out and it is truly gratifying to hear that we are achieving our goals in providing superior guest service. I have passed on your comments to all staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,