“Good value but noise issues”

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My wife stayed three nights in Sydney, two nights (Saturday and Sunday) at the Cambridge and another night (Monday) at the Radisson Hotel on Liverpool. The two nights at the Cambridge were kind of at the last minute because of a change in our plans. I have written a review of the Radisson as well.

We stayed at the Cambridge mainly we were on a budget and were out and about during our stay in Sydney. The front desk staff was very helpful and professional. The Premium Queen room with a balcony was very clean and comfortable. The hotel is about a 20 - 30 minute walk to Darling Harbor.

The reasons we gave the hotel a 3 star rating was because of the noise and bathroom. Our hotel room faced Riley Street, from which we could hear music. I don't know if there was a club or bar nearby, but the music was noticeably loud. Also, our room was near the elevator, so we could hear the other guests, 20-year-olds, coming in late from a night on the town and leaving the next morning. We could even hear room service knocking on the door late at night and the guests speaking with him.

We slept better the next night since it was basically my wife and I staying on the floor. However, the next morning around 7am, we were woken by construction noise. It seems that work begins around 7am in Australia.

Some reviewers have commented on not experiencing noise problems; others have. I guess it depends on the location of the room, the type of guests on your floor, and which nights you stay.

The other issue is the bathroom and shower were small. The shower door is on a track and sometimes it was dragging when trying to close it.

Overall, it was a good value, but I would highly recommend that if staying at the Cambridge to ask for a room not facing Riley Street, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

Dear Reefdive,

Thank you for bringing to our attention issues that arose during your stay. It is only through guest feedback that we can improve our guest experience. Firstly, let me reassure you that I am fully investigating your concerns. In our area, construction cannot be undertaken before 8:30. As previously mentioned I will definately investigate this.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Good hotel, the location isn't that good. But you get a lovely walk to the center of Sydney through Hyde Park.

• Stayed: August 2010

Dear Guthi,

Thank you so much for your review. Our hotel is ideally located to experience all Sydney has to offer. We are in the heart of many of Sydney's finest restaurants, Alfresco dinning, designer boutiques and galleries. You really do get a true sense of Sydney. This along with easy access to all the icons Sydney has to offer gives you an idea of leisure and business.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind regard

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Had a really good stay here,the kids loved it and all the staff were excellent.(especially the room service team who done a brilliant job!).The hotel is situated near oxford street and was ok for getting to the touristy areas(my 8 year olds had no problems walking downt to the harbourside and back!) We had a meal at the hotel and was a little expensive(everything in sydney is!)but the best food we had all holiday.We hired a car and there was ample parking at the hotel but a little tight in areas! thankyou all for a really nice stay and a good start to our holiday!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Dear Charltonfc,

Thank you very much for taking your time to post your views. With guest feedback we know what we are doing right and where we can improve. Your feedback has been passed on to our staff.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 30, 2010

I have stayed at The Cambridge on and off for a few years, both pre and post renovation. I had a really bad stay pre renovation and was put off going back for a while, even though the location is fantastic. A friend told me that the renovations were amazing and I thought I would give it a go. I was blown away with the result and have stayed there ever since, every time I go Sydney I look forward to staying here and it is a nice touch to have a letter from the GM in your room welcoming you back.

One stay I had mate fly up from Melbourne to stay with me and we had a problem with the room which was cheerfully fixed and handled swiftly and professionally.

The reception staff always have a smile and a warm welcome and handle any enquiries professionally and competently. The breakfast buffet is simple but very good value.

I am always pleased with the room standard as far as cleanliness goes as I am always fussy on this aspect. Two stays ago, the sliding shower screen was off its tracks and had been for some time judging by the scrapes on the bottom track and one would think housekeeping would have recognised this and reported it to maintenance. It would be a real shame if this hotel was let run-down again.

Depending on what room standard you book, some bathrooms are pokey, with barely enough room to sit on the loo and your knees bang on the roll holder. I guess its all about the layout. But you don't (deliberately) sleep on the loo! But I am sure if you were unhappy in any way, the staff would deal with it immediately.

Overall, its a great medium range hotel that seems to have it all just right. I am off to Sydney again next week for 3 nights and I am treating myself to a 1 bedroom suite this time.

Well done Cambridge, I will certainly keep coming back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Dear Douggy69,

Thank you so much for your comments. They are truly appreciated. I have passed your comments on to all satff. The staff work extremely hard to ensure guest satisfaction and your are indeed correct in saying there are different room type. We have four categories of room from Express to Deluxe. Ensuring that we can cater four different budgets.

Our Express room are economical and of a great value for money. Our Deluxe rooms are oversized and give great views of the city.

I thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 27, 2010

We needed somewhere to stay for a couple of days in Sydney before and after a cruise ship voyage.The Cambridge was a convenient spot to take in the city sights which were well within walking distance.Staff were professional, well groomed and accommodating to our every needs.From holding our luggage in a secure location before check in time to sorting out a squabble between taxi drivers, we were impressed with the customer service throughout our stay.Our room was well appointed, the restaurant served up a good feed.Should you wish to dine elsewhere, there is no shortage of places nearby.Our only gripe was that the lift foyers and room corridors were a bit pokey to transport our baggage around, but then again we were lugging a fair bit.We'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

Dear Sleepyhead_10,

Thank you for your comments. It is truly appreciated for myself and the staff when we recieve positive feedback. It reinforces that we are providing what our guest are looking for.

Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to the hotel.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

I am not sure what the official star rating is for this hotel but it probably falls into the 2/3 star category in relation to decor.

I was attracted to this hotel by the price, the proximity to the centre of Sydney and the Central railway station and also the views from the rooms on the higher floors. The actual visit met my expectations on these issues. However this is really a basic hotel with a small plain lobby. The corridor outside the rooms is like something from a low budget motel. Again the room was large, but poorly decorated although clean and I enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep. I would return to this hotel again but the reality is it is just a room to sleep in.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MountainmanDromore

Dear MountainmanDromore,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with us. It is truly through guest feedback we know what we are doing right and where we can improve. We pride ourselves on personalized service and value for money. The hotel has recently undergone a multimillion dollar refurbishment. This included the upgrading of all the corridors.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel.

Reviewed September 24, 2010

Stayed at the Cambridge as it was close to the Belvoir Theatre. Glad we did, we have found a top spot. Great staff, competent, efficient and thoughtful. Enjoyed a meal in the restaurant after a matinee show, the waiter was friendly and made the evening a pleasure due to his We would both stay there again and have recommended the hotel to family and friends. Keep up the good work Cambridge. We had time to spare before an afternoon flight so spent time walking around looking at the old terrace houses, then up to the Sydney CBD to shop. A bit of a walk by the time we got back but enjoyable just the same.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear NambuccaHeadsNorma

Thanks for the comments. It is truly pleasing to know that your stay was enoyable. Additionally, I have passed on your comments to the restaurant staff.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel.