“You bet I'd return” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Provincetown, Mass
“You bet I'd return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

Recently remodeled, the rooms are surprisingly spacious. The decor is sleek modern, the only thing missing being a chair (there's a couch) with a reading light. Located very close to Hyde Park in the center of town off Oxford Street in the heart of gay Sydney, yet the vibe is family friendly (lots of families in the dining room). The breakfast buffet is a good value. The hotel's staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful. One block from bus lines, Museum Station, Central Station, and about 10 - 15 minutes to Cockle Cove and Darling Harbor.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank RobbyWL
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear RobbyWl,

Thank you very much for choosing Cambridge Hotel for your stay and thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback.

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at our hotel and also that you liked our new updated of guest room.

Many of our guests comment on the convenience of our locality and we are pleased that you also shared this view

Your positive comments on our staff has been passed on to all, they were very much appreciated. It motivates all of us to continually improve our standard of service and hospitality.

Regarding the missing a chair with a reading light, We have considered your suggestion concerning a chair and reading light and have decided that they will be put in rooms if the room space allows: thank you.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

Check in was a breeze - staff were very polite and helpful. Room booked was on Level 13 and gave us great views of Sydney city, Botany Bay and glimpses of the Opera house.

Had dinner and watched the cabaret show in the evening - both were wonderful - especially loved the beef wellington...Breakfast in the morning was great - food was warm - staff were efficient at refilling dishes when needed.. Checking out was simple and done in a matter of minutes.

All in all great room - great price - friendly service.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Dear stanmore1,

Thank you very much to stay with us and also thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable time at our hotel during your stay and that the room was to your liking.

It was also very pleasing to hear that the service given to you by our staff lived up to your expectation and that you enjoyed dining with us.

We are grateful your wonderful feedback, it motivates all of us to continually work hard to achieve our hotel motto of guest satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Bristol, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

There are loads of positives with this hotel and just a few negatives, sort these out and it will be fantastic there.

Staff - they were brilliant, always polite and helpful. They asked about any problems, I said about noise and they were going to put me in a different room if it continued. It kind of did but I didn't mention it again.

The room was very nice, balcony was a great size, all nice and tidy and clean. Bathroom was decent, air con was very quiet which was great.

The location is OK, we walked out most evenings and late in to the night and although we never had a problem, I didn't think it was as safe as staying at Citigate Central (CC) where I stayed last year. I can only compare against this hotel, but please note Citigate is more expensive. If Cambridge can sort out a few problems then I'd say they'd almost be equal.

the bar is nice and i like all the trendy lighting going on the in the lounge/reception/bar/lifts etc.

Negatives:
- noise - single glazing windows means very noisy due to the location. it rained our first two nights and this made the problem worse. we were on the 8th floor and could hear people talking (although probably loudly) on the streets late at night. Some girls kept us up 2 nights (till about 2-3am) by being on the balcony next door talking, we didn't complain, but they weren't talking loudly. After about 4 days we probably got used to the noise more and slept better. police station is opposite but that doesn't produce to much noise.

- breakfast - i wanted to like it, but it was a buffet for about $13.95. The food quality was low. once was enough, i expected better. i would have preferred to pay more for a better quality product.

If you get over the noise issue, and perhaps either have snack bars in your room, or get breakfast elsewhere, then this hotel is very good value for money.

As I said, the staff really were great and very helpful. I was able to check in at about 10am which was fantastic. I really wanted to like this place, but the noise by single glazing lets it down.

There is a swimming pool but I didn't use this.

Do I recommend it? Well it depends on your budget. For the cost you might not get better as it's great value. Next time I go to Sydney, I will certainly try for Citigate Central and compare the prices, try to get a deal there. If that proves too expensive, then I'll re-consider Cambridge or try my luck elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
Dear Humpy G,

Thank you so much for your feedback. let me reassure you that we are truly grateful for client feedback.

Currently we are investigating and trialing new glazing for all windows.

In regartds to our buffet, we have an ala carte options avaialble. This offers quite an extensive range of additional items .

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel .

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Quality Hotel Cambridge
Management
Leigh on Sea Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

We were originally booked into the Cambridge for 5 days but owing to illness we ended up staying here for 24 days instead of travelling up the East Coast. The staff were very caring and looked after us extremely well. A special thanks to the two Adams and Sarah on reception and not forgetting Lee. Our rooms were lovely - we ended up on the 14th floor and had a great view over the rooftops of Sydney. Our rooms were always well serviced and well stocked with tea/coffee and nothing was too much trouble. The pool and spa were clean and lovely to relax in after a busy day sightseeing
We would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in Sydney - the location is very central with a huge variety of restaurants and also very near Hyde Park and the Botanical Gardens. Circular Quay is not too far away either.
We will defintely stay here again when we next visit Sydney.

• Liked — Location and value for money, service and staff attentiveness
  • Disliked — Restaurant ambience rather austere
  • Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear MartynandTessaNice,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Cambridge Hotel Sydney and for taking the time to write a review to share with us.
It was so happy to learn that our staff looked after you well through your long stay with us. Your comments on our staff have been passed on and they were appreciated for your wonderful comments.
We were glad to hear that the hotel’s location was in your liking. Being located in Surry Hills, which is known for its vibrant dining, fashion and entertainment, makes it so easy to access all Sydney’s many interesting attractions by walking, bus or train.
I hope you can come back to experience our new bar and restaurant this year. Our team will be happy to see you again.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cambridge Hotel soon.
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

This hotel is both convenient and of great quality for its price range, I enjoyed my stay very much, my room had it's own balcony was pleasant with its cityscape view. Front desk staff were efficent and polite but a special mention must go to the friendly young lady who served us at breakfast; this lady is a credit to your establishment and her friendliness is an element of our stay which we will remember with fondness. So in conclusion a convenient, friendly hotel that I would be happy to return to in the future.

Dear buisinessbuzz,
I was very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable time at our hotel during your stay. And the room was to your liking.
It was also very pleasing to know that the service given to you by our staff lived up to your expectation; your comments on our Front Desk staff and restaurant have been passed on and they were appreciated received by all.
We are grateful your wonderful feedback, it motivates all of us to continually working hard to achieve our hotel motto of guest satisfaction.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
NSW
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

It has been one week since I stayed at this hotel , but the poor experience I had is still very fresh in my mind.
1. CHECK IN. The staff were rude hard to understand and not at all helpfull. We were asked to take our bags to a storage facility that was dirty and not at all secure.
2. We went to the restaurant for breakfast, the time was 10 10 am . The buffet was empty and cold but we were told it was still available. More food arrived as we finished what was the worst meal I have had in A sydney hotel.
3. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable , however the airconditioning unit was so loud that it was impossible to use it. Thus we had to sleep with the window open and the noise of the trucks etc woke us at 5.17 am as well as several times during the night.
4. The staff member at checkout was an English GENT who had a severe cold and sniffled his way through the process of checkout.I felt that I would need to disinfect myself after this experience.

This is the first time I have written a complaint in my life . I have travelled the world for the past 30 years, I am 50 years old , and I have never had such a bad experience in my life. I am a member of an ASSOC who recommend your hotels , however I will be informing them of this poor experience.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank disappointedNsw
Dear DisappointedNSW,

We value all guest feedbacks and on this occassion it appears we did not meet your expectations.

At the Quality Hotel Cambridge we pride ourselves on the award winning guest services.

We are undertaking a thorough investigation on all points you have raised. This process will also reveiews the daily Management logs where all guests concerns are recorded during their stay.

We are sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing and we ask you to contact us directly if you require further assistance.

Kind regards,

Quality Hotel Cambridge
Management
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

I stayed at the Cambridge Hotel in Surry Hills for a weekend away with my partner. Throughout our stay the staff were especially accommodating and friendly - nothing seemed too much for any of them, and they were all more than happy to assist with anything.
Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious with a balcony and air conditioning. The bathroom was also perfectly adequate and we had everything we needed.
We also enjoyed the buffet breakfast both mornings of our stay and found the food excellent and great value for money.
We will definately be coming back soon!

Dear Azcatan,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Cambridge Hotel Sydney back in 2010 and for taking the time to write a review to share with us.
Apologies for not reacting for you feedback before but we have only recently been able to respond your feedback.
We were glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel’s room & with its lovely view; the buffet breakfast was to your liking and the service given to you by our staff lived up to your expectation.
I hope you can come back to experience our new updates and changes. Our team will be happy to see you again.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cambridge Hotel Sydney in the future.