“Value for Money”

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at Cambridge Hotel while I was vacationing with family in Australia. The Hotel is great value for money and the rooms are of a decent size. In addition, the hotel is spotless, has most of the expected facilities and the staff is pleasant.
On the flip side, the location is good but not great. If you want a lively shopping neighborhood, you are better off staying in the more expensive hotels at George Street or Pitt Street.
The hotel could do with an active concierge desk which can guide guests and offer deals on various attractions.
Overall, I got what was promised but nothing more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
StevenGargano, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hi Rohan, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I’m glad you found the hotel to be of great value for money, and you enjoyed the cleanliness and standard of our rooms. The area surrounding the hotel is known for boutique shopping, great restaurants and its community of cultural thinkers, and it’s quite unfortunate you weren’t able to experience all that Surry Hills has to offer. The Cambridge Hotel Sydney has reception staff available 24 hours per day, who are able to provide guests with advice and guidance. Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were looking for accomodation in the city for a reasonable price and this fitted the bill. The decor was great, as advertised. The lifts where quite small and slow but we were not in any rush and one of the lifts was having maintenance issues at the time. The carpark was quite scary but I knew this from other reviews and we have a large car. The location was great for being so close to the city and transport. I would stay here again and have recommended to friends who are staying there at the moment from NZ.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Deb, thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. It’s great that you enjoyed the décor of the hotel, the surrounding location, as well as the value for money the hotel represents. Thank you for recommending the Cambridge Hotel Sydney; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I spent five days at the Cambridge hotel for vacation after a business trip, and I didn't think it was great, but I also think it was the best I could get for the price.

The location was probably the best part, not right in a tourist trap, but on a quieter side street. It's quite a hike from the train station if you have luggage with you, but on non-airport days, it was a very easy walk. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance, and there's a full grocery store right across the street. As far as food goes, I highly recommend the Indian carryout on Oxford Street. It was an extremely cheap, fast, and tasty meal, and I ended up there three times during my stay. It's also a pretty quick bus ride to Bondi Beach, and the bus stop is less than five minutes walk from the hotel.

My room was surprisingly big. There was a tiny window in the corner facing a brick wall, but I can deal with that for a few days. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but it was good enough. The room had a desk and mini fridge.

I was kind of annoyed that wifi cost extra, but I was able to buy a new SIM card with a generous data plan for about $25 at one of the nearby cellphone stores, so I would recommend that if you just plan to use internet on your phone. At most hotels, they'll give you a free plug converter to use during your stay. At Cambridge, however, they forced me to purchase one! I think it cost about $15, but I can't remember the exact cost, only my annoyance at having to purchase an Australian-US converter that I'll never use again and that took up space in my stuffed bag.

Some of the staff I dealt with were rather rude and acted like they had better things to do than check me in, answer, questions, etc., but most of them were really nice.

If I were on a budget in Sydney again, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nafa2
StevenGargano, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Hi nafa2, thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed the size of your room, and found the hotel a value for money. It’s great you will be back if you return to Sydney on a budget. Our city-fringe location has an abundance of nearby restaurants and cultural ‘hot-spots, and public transport is just around the corner.Currently, Australian hotels that offer complimentary Wi-Fi access are few and far between; however the Cambridge Hotel offers one of Sydney’s most affordable internet rates.

Regarding your mixed comments on our hotel staff; I ask you to contact me directly at steven@cambridgehotel.com.au to discuss this further. The Cambridge Hotel Sydney takes pride in the level of guest service we provide, and it’s unfortunate you weren’t able to receive this. Thank you again for your feedback, the Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here with colleagues prior to a conference. The rooms were clean but pokey looking ( twin doubles). The lifts are incredibly small as are the hallways. Lots of noise at night, especially on lower floors - not much sleep. Lifts REALLY loud at night. The car park is terrible, VERY steep decline in and limited spaces with narrow turning ( quite stressful). Breakfast menu average but limited. Staff very polite and helpful but don't have much to work with.

Room Tip: If you book more than one room and want to be near your colleagues, friends or family ask at booking...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi Margie, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s unfortunate your experience didn’t meet the standard the Cambridge Hotel Sydney is proud to provide. Our slim hallways and lifts are a reflection of the 1970’s architecture. We compliment the age of the building with modern interior and fresh furnishings, as well as a focus on cleanliness and staff service. The layout of the car park is suited to small vehicles, and I apologise for any inconvenience you experienced. On a more positive note; I’m glad you enjoyed our housekeeping standards and the service you received during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback, I hope your isolated experience doesn’t deter you from staying at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney once again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is a laff riot, often unintentionally. Aside from playing musical chairs with the elevators -- seriously, you push one button and the other elevator down the hall opens up -- there are worse drawbacks. Corridors so narrow I had to play Tetris to move [large] luggage through the passageway. Taking a shower with a dirty shower curtain. Or going to the basement to do laundry and have it not remind me of Jennifer Connelly's movie "Dark Water" (2005). When we came back a week later to stay at the hotel again, the room wasn't ready because the maids left without finishing six remaining rooms. This left one young man to come to our aid. Ben of Hotel Concierge (or was his name John?) had to clean the room for us. "Aren't you glad your mother taught you how to make a bed?" we asked Ben, with sympathetic humor. Ben was a nice fella. He did give us the top floor room instead of the lower pool one the week previous. We'll remember Ben fondly. The hotel itself, not so much.

Room Tip: If you got the moolah, pay for a suite. It's better, and it's high up to get a view of the c...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Life_of_Sean

Hi Sean, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At the Cambridge Hotel Sydney, all our guests’ feedback is taken seriously; and it’s unfortunate you weren’t able to experience the hospitality we strive to provide. All our management staff keep extensive record of internal feedback received, and while your review suggests the issues you experienced were raised with our staff; we cannot locate any mention of rooms left unclean.
While we are appreciative of your kind thoughts on Ben (or John), however we have no staff members under these names. We have tried to identify the Porter or Concierge in question, but all staff members who were present last December are still working with us; and none have any recollection of these events.
I’d like to ask you to contact me directly at steven@cambrigehotel.com.au to discuss your experiences further detail. I hope your isolated experience won’t deter you from visiting the Cambridge Hotel Sydney again; as we look forward to returning the hotel to your good favour. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and I have always been completely satisfied. The premium queen is very spacious and now with recent upgrades quite modern. My room did not have opening windows or much of a view, although the fellow in a neighboring unit didn't look to bad!! The Cambridge is in an excellent location, just one street over from busy Crown street, so nice and quiet but still handy to all of the restaurants and cafes, also not that far from Oxford st or Central station - but get a taxi if travelling with luggage as it is all up hill.

Room Tip: when booking, request a room with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Leanne S
StevenGargano, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hi Leanne, thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing the Cambridge Hotel Sydney as your preferred accommodation when visiting the harbour city. I’m glad you enjoyed the standard and quality of your Premium Queen room as well as the man in the neighbouring unit block. Crown Street has a number of great restaurants and cafes to enjoy, and surrounds the Cambridge nicely. Thank you again for leaving your feedback, the Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked 2 rooms (4 adults) for one night in Sydney via a discount Hotel voucher. We then had to alter our booking to accommodate a third adult in one room. Despite this being a huge weekend in Sydney (Man Utd were in town!) and the hotel being Booked Out, they accommodated our last-minute request with a roll-away bed, honour our Vouchers and just allowed our extra person to pay a fee on arrival. All transactions were easy, no hassles at all. The location is great... easy walks to Oxford St, Central Station, Surry Hills cafe's, and not too far to even Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, Botanic Gardens etc. Jen, the Reservations Manager was great on the phone, and I forgot to get the name of the Front Desk lady - but she was great! Very friendly and helpful - did our online airline book-ins etc - nothing was a problem. Nice room, comfy bed, very clean. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
StevenGargano, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Hi Stef, thank you for sharing such great feedback. I’m glad Sydney’s very busy weekend didn’t interfere with your stay, and our Front Desk staff were able to accommodate your last minute reservation changes. It’s great you enjoyed the location of the hotel, as well as the standard and cleanliness of your room. Both Jennifer in our Reservations Department and our team at the Front Desk are appreciative of your kind words, and look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.