“Best location with great rooms”

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #35 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
“Best location with great rooms”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed there for my birthday and on arrival the staff on were very friendly. The room was just right for me and very clean, also the location was perfect, close to everything. I will be staying there again every time I visit Sydney. Love IT. Also manager Mark was great.

• Stayed June 2013
AdgeApartmentHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi Brisboy1,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m glad you had a great birthday here at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. It’s great you enjoyed the location of the hotel, and the standards and cleanliness of our rooms. I’ve passed on your feedback to Mark at the Front Desk, and he appreciates your positive review. Thank you again for leaving your feedback, the Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.

Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had some apprehension when I booked the Cambridge Hotel. Its location - not being too far from Hyde Park, Oxford Street, Surry Hills, Central Station and the CBD - suggested that I'd get little for the low price I paid for a two night stay. It was a pleasant surprise to arrive and find out that, while this was a budget hotel, it offered more than just the bare necessities. Reception was quite busy at most times but the staff were friendly. I did find it a bit odd that when we briefly went back to our room in the afternoon on our second day, a staff member knocked on the door to find out if we'd used anything from the minibar overnight. That seemed to be his only job. (Is this normal?) I was really pleased with the room. It was nice to have plenty of space, a couch, a coffee table and a desk - all things I didn't expect. The bed was comfortable and up on the top floor we didn't hear a thing. Book or ask for a high floor if you can. Here's the other big tick for The Cambridge: if you're driving to Sydney it has a car park and it's quite cheap. The $26 a night was a lot less than I'd expect near Sydney's CBD. I wouldn't recommend The Cambridge for a special or romantic stay but, for any other purpose, it is super value.

Room Tip: For more quietness, try to get one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AdgeApartmentHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi Aus_PM_73,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad you had a great stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney and enjoyed our central location, spacious rooms and comfortable beds. Our Food and Beverage staff check and restock our mini bars daily to ensure guests always have fully stocked mini bars. It’s great you appreciated the extra features within your room, our affordable car-parking facilities beneath the hotel, as well as the overall value of the hotel. Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback, the Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Cambridge Hotel Sydney is located in Surry Hills, which was one of the places that I really wanted to check out, as it is known to be a little more "arty" and the location of the hotel gave me more excuse to explore it a little more.

Check in was a breeze, and I even got upgraded to a room with my own balcony that overlooked the city! Room was very modern and clean, and much more spacious than I expected! The hotel staff were very friendly, and prompt when we needed anything, or had any questions so it made life a lot more easier.
One little thing that would be great was if they provided bedroom slippers, especially since the toilet is tiled, it was a little cold in the mornings!

Checking out was a bit of a nightmare, since everyone was checking out at the same time (11am). The queue was really long, but fortunately, as I had the shuttle to catch, they allowed me to go right to the front of the line and get checked out so I wouldn't miss my flight!

Overall, the stay was great, and of good value! Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends who want comfort at a slightly lower budget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Getassha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. It’s great you enjoyed the location of the hotel, the cleanliness of our spacious and modern rooms, as well as the service you received during your stay. I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the queue during check-out; it seems that many guests chose a similar time to depart that morning, but I’m glad you were looked after and were able to catch your flight. Once again, thank you for your feedback, the Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.

Grimsby
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A little late with the review as we stayed here at the end of Jan just for one night, before our cruise to the South Pacific. Still better late than never.
We chose the hotel based on the reviews, so everything was as expected. The reception area was small but ok, comfy chairs and sofas to sit on while waiting for taxi's e.t.c. Reception staff couldn't have been more helpful, we arrived at 9am after a long flight from the UK, of course our rooms wouldn't be ready until 2pm and all we wanted was to freshen up and go find some breakfast.The staff got us fresh towels and shower gel + shampoo then directed us to the swimming pool showers. Not the luxurious showers but they served a purpose. They also looked after our cases and put our hand luggage in their own office while we went out to find breakfast. The hotel does have it's own restaurant but we wanted to do a bit of sightseeing at the same time. As the hotel is in a fairly good position we were able to walk to the Darling Harbour area after we had eaten at a local cafe. On our return to the hotel just before 2pm we were allowed into our room for a much needed 40 winks. Free safe in the room and radio alarm clock, comfy bed, good size room and bathroom, spotlessly clean too. Tea and coffee making facilities as well and if you require extra just ask at the reception desk. Found a very nice restaurant / pub for our evening meal, lots of choices in the area, caters for all tastes. We did find the price of alcohol very expensive compared to the UK. Had a good night's sleep, no noise disturbance and woke refreshed in the morning ready to join our cruise ship. Check out was speedy and they called us a taxi to go down to the port. All in all I can recommend this hotel for a stay in Sydney if you are looking for value for money, very friendly and helpful staff, and spotlessly clean rooms, in a good reasonably central area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi Norvys,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your decision to base you’re booking on peer-review websites such as TripAdvisor is a testament to our overall reputation, and a real motivator to continue excelling within this industry. It’s great you enjoyed the location of the hotel, the service from our helpful staff, and the cleanliness and standards of our rooms. I’ve passed on your feedback to our Front Desk department, who appreciate your kind words. Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. The Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday over the weekend. The room was booked as a birthday gift from a friend. When I arrived in the room the hotel staff sent a bottle of wine as a birthday gift to me, which was a really nice touch. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment and while it was quite small it is perfect for sleeping in which is all you really need it for. Bed and sofa bed were very comfortable, actually the sofa bed was more comfortable than the bed which was very surprising! Hotel is close to everything and was the perfect choice for the weekend. The car park is very tight as per other reviews. I would definitely recommend this place and will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Tashiii,
Thank you for your feedback, it’s great you enjoyed your birthday weekend here at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. I’m glad you appreciated our birthday gift, the central location of our hotel, as well as the comfortable lounge and bed and overall quality of our rooms. I apologise for any inconvenience caused within the car park beneath our hotel, it is suited to smaller ‘city’ sized vehicles. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback, the Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked in for 3 nights through last minute.com as we were looking for something near the Sydney showground’s.

Upon checking in we handed over our paid paperwork to the friendly lady at the front desk. We asked for a higher floor room that’s a bit quieter based on peoples other comments.

Our room was nice but we were disappointed that our kitchenette was just a sink and a microwave but were told this is all they do.

After settling in we had to do some work online and while doing the banking noticed that we had been charged for our stay at full price even though as mentioned before we had already paid through last minute.

I am not sure how this could have happened as my credit card was only taken as an imprint in case of use of the mini bar etc.

This mistake meant that our money for the trip was now all spent as it comes out of our available balance straight away.

I went to the front desk and asked the young guy about it and he referred me to the supervisor.

Well………..Instead of “Oh I am so sorry sir this is a mistake and we will refund the money immediately” I was greeted by an unhappy looking chap who not only failed to apologize but seemed to be put out that they had made an error.

Anyway to cut a long story short he promised me the money would return to our account in approx. 2 hours.

After a day and a half when the money was still not refunded I went back to the front desk and this time I spoke to the manager who was equally unapologetic and said it was the banks fault and I need to talk to them to get the money back as he couldn’t assist further.

At no point was there an apology or a genuine admission of an error which really inconvenienced our stay as we had to use other funds which involved transferring etc.

The point is, if you are in hospitality that’s your job, to be hospitable!! We won’t be back and won’t recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Bring your earplugs as the garbage trucks and construction nearby is not for light sleepers.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Newy01,
We truly agree with you Hospitality means being hospitable. Staff, Management of the Cambridge Hotel strives to achieve this. Please accept my sincere apologies if this was not the case. I am conducting a full investigation and it would help greatly if you could contact me to discuss the matter. My initial investigation revealed that the Guest Relations Officer indeed made an error on check in. Hotels do take pre-authorisation for extras on a credit card that may be utilised during stays. I again apologise for this error and it was reversed immediately from our side. I do hope that you will stay with us again so that we can show you the true Cambridge Hospitality. Please contact me directly at steven@cambridgehotel.com.au so I can discuss this in further detail. I look forward to hearing from you.

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hotel location was excellent for business and staff were very friendly. Lift takes a bit of manoeuvering!! Staff were very friendly and helpful and efficient. The food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff were wonderful - great atmosphere and service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dawn C
Hi Dawn,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m glad you had a great stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney, and found the location great for business, and enjoyed our friendly service, as well as the fantastic food within Baccomatto Osteria, or in-house restaurant. Again, thank you for leaving your review, the Cambridge Hotel Sydney looks forward to welcoming you back.