“Very Good Location and Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambridge Hotel Sydney

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Porto
“Very Good Location and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Hotels in Sydney "down town" are very expensive. Cambridge was a very good surprise considering price, location and service quality! Walking distance to Central Station and Darling Harbour. Very close also to Oxford night activity, but still in a calm and silent area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Miguel Paixao,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel, and for taking your time to share your feedback.
It is great to hear that the Hotel lived up to your expectations and that you found the location and service of high quality.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel again in the near future.
Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ABERYSTWYTH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great location for all of the sights. Brilliant room, much larger than expected (1st floor).Great choice for breakfast and Italian restaurant at night.You do have to put down a security deposit of 200AUS. A bit noisy at night.

Room Tip: Try not to be by the service lift.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Rosie W,
I would also like to thank you very much for your great feedback. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Cambridge Hotel, and that the location and spaciousness was to your satisfaction.
I apologise if the noise was of any inconvenience to you during your stay.
Once again, thank you for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed a week at the hotel and my air conditioning broke down three times. The repair guy kept coming to repair the AC which was dumping water on the nightstand. This basically meant I didn't have use of my room (which I needed for naps due to jetlag) and had to clean up the place for the repair guy. Luckily none of my stuff was under the AC unit before it started dumping water.
The room had three single beds (I wish it had one real bed) and faced the adjacent apartments thru a back alley (where the garbage cans were stored). The noise isolation was pretty bad and sounds from the hallway (maids talking and the doors closing) were pretty loud in the room despite the room being an end room on the corner.
The charge for the internet is ridiculous as free internet is widely available in Sydney including most coffee shops and fast food places (McDonalds and Hungry Jack's which is their Burger kings included), public libraries, some public transports (Circular Quay station, Manly Ferry), shopping centers (such as QVB) and other hotels (I used the wifi at Shangri La Hotel when picking up a friend).
The location is ok. About a 15 to 20 minute walk to most of the touristy things like the Opera or Circular Quay.
During the last night of my stay my AC unit broke AGAIN and they couldn't get maintenance and since they realized it would be hard to sleep they offered me complimentary "late" checkout at noon.

The next morning however they walked into the room despite the do not disturb sign and I had to remind them of the late checkout. When I finally checked out at around 11 , they tried to charge me extra for this "late" checkout and I had to argue with the person about what the night person had said.

Basically, the hotel sucked. AC broke down multiple times. Noise made it difficult to sleep. Single beds are tiny by american standards. And they offered me no real remedy for my inconvenience and the fact that the repair guys and guest services had to keep coming to my room. They charged me full price for both the hotel and internet and even tried to charge me extra for checking out at 11 am despite having said it was ok the night before (unlike most places the regular checkout here is not noon but 1030 am).
Not sure what Australians are used to but having traveled around the world, this was one of my worst experiences and I would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Smartflyer
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Smartflyer,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel. I would also like to thank you for sharing your feedback with regarding your stay with us.
As per our conversation, we apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during you stay and we have made sure to follow up and rectify the issues and procedures in place in these cases.
We truly appreciate all guest feedback as these are used for extensive staff retraining purposes.
I look forward to hearing from you, and hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Cambridge Hotel.
Faversham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in February 2013. I stayed here before in 2004 and was impressed then. I was not disappointed this time round either. The service was first class. The staff particularly a lady called Lorraine was outstanding. As soon as I entered my room the safe broke and I could not open it. Lorraine arranged for someone to fix it immediately. She also assisted me sort out my laundry. The hotel has it's own washing machines and Lorraine took it upon herself to show me exactly where they were, how to operate them. This was something she did not need to do but went that extra mile that impressed me very much. The room I was given was clean and modern with a good view. The location of the hotel is excellent with the city centre only a very short walk away. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to anyone wishingto visit Sydney and want a good value for money hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear PaulAGH,
We are very grateful that you have taken your time to share your great feedback with us and we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you very much for your recommendation about Lorraine, she is very happy to have received such a wonderful compliment and we have all congratulated her.
It is also great to hear that you enjoyed your room, the view and the location.
Thank you very much for recommending the Cambridge Hotel, and once again, thank you for sharing your great feedback with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge hotel again soon.
Yass
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We have stayed at The Cambridge on a number of occasions now. Most recently we stayed for a night when going to the Bruce Springsteen concert and were delighted to be upgraded to a city view Room. The location is great being close to Central Railway Station and Sydney CBD. We have found the staff welcoming and attentive, the rooms are always clean and spacious. We enjoyed using the pool and wished we had more time to lie about in the spa. We love staying in Surry Hills with all the fabulous cafes and restaurants, shops and markets so close by. We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: City view rooms face west so could get hot in summer, however there is an aircon unit for each room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Alan H,
Thank you very much for choosing the Cambridge Hotel for your recent stay in Sydney. It’s great to receive such positive feedback about your experience with us.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Sydney and that the hotel lived up to your expectations. I am also glad to hear that the friendly staff and the cleanliness and spaciousness of your room were to your satisfaction.
Once again, thank you very much for your great feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel again in the near future.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying in this hotel between 27 Feb - 2 March 2013. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The shower doors were loose and difficult to open and close, the water only warm. The public areas of this hotel are the ugliest I have ever seen! with vivid colours on walls floors and furniture. This hotel is well located if you want to shop on oxford street but every other point of interest is a hike. I never saw a shuttle bus and was never offered this service. Everyone got taxis which are costly. The reception desk was well staffed but they always seemed too busy or reluctant to deal with guests. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for courtesy, relaxation or comfort.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank marina49
Dear Marina49,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel, and we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience during your stay.
I'm sorry to learn that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.
Please accept our most sincere apologies on behalf of our team for the issues you experienced during your stay with us.
I do hope that this isolated experience will not prevent you from visiting us again so that we may reinstate the hotel back to your good favour and demonstrate the warm welcome and exceptional facilities the Cambridge Hotel is known for.
It would be great if you could contact me directly to discuss the issues that you experienced on steven@cambridgehotel.com.au
The hotel is located in a vibrant area with many restaurants , coffee shops and galleries in the area, our lobby decor does reflect this. It is saddening to hear that the lobby and public areas did not suit your preference.
We do offer an airport shuttle and this can be booked at reception 24 hours a day.
In the future I do hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you again.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel.
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We only stayed for one night, in Sydney to see the AMAZING Bruce Springsteen perform. The hotel staff were flawlessly polite, friendly and attentive. On arrival we were told our room had been upgraded to a Deluxe King Balcony, which was a pleasant surprise. The room had obviously been refurbished recently because it was immaculate. Great bed and nice toiletries. Nice 180 degree views from the 13th floor, all the way to the back of the Opera House and a glimpse of the harbour. Noise wasn't an issue at all from our room. Car parking was convenient, though the entry angle to the carpark was incredibly steep, causing the bottom of our wagon to scrape as we drove in despite carefully driving in at an angle. If you have a lowered car then you may need to park elsewhere. Car park was also very pokie, so might be a problem if the easy spots are taken and you have a particularly long vehicle to park by yourself. Checkout at 10:30 was very convenient and we were able to arrange for our parking to continue until 2pm at no extra cost.
Surry Hills is a great location, walking distance to everything, including some great restaurants, pubs and cafes close by on Crown street. We also like driving into Surry Hills from the M5 because we avoid the tricky one way streets etc that we have previously encountered when staying right in the city.This hotel was recommended to us by a friend who stays in Sydney regularly for business and is our new first choice for when we visit Sydney.

Room Tip: We liked the Deluxe King Balcony, on the 13th floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear 100Canberra,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.
We would also like to thank you very much for your wonderful comments about your experience at the Hotel.
It is great to hear that the friendly staff exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am very glad that you enjoyed the room, amenities, facilities and location. We are very proud to accept a great review like yours. It has been shared with all our staff members and I would like to thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us and boost our motivation.
We look very much forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel soon.