“CBD fringe, feels like home”

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #37 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Auckland
“CBD fringe, feels like home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Cambridge Hotel is perfect for business or leisure travel to Sydney.

What is it not? It is not a high-standards, branded four star like a Novotel. It's a little funkier, but this pays off in the end, with a great Italian restaurant on the first floor and unconventional room layouts.

I came to Sydney for a business trip and it suited my needs: clean, friendly, refreshing 20 min walk to the CBD through Hyde Park.

Location is fantastic. In the evening you can explore Surrey Hills, which is quite a bit more interesting than the CBD at night. Great food and ice cream.

Rates are reasonable; the CBD fringe location makes this place a good 30-40 AUD cheaper than comparable chain hotels located right in the CBD. I booked on Hotels.com when a few cruise ships were in town and CBD hotels' rates were all through the roof because of the cruise passengers.

Breakfast average. Skip. Request a balcony room on the city side, you won't regret it!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Trotter K
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Canoey,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel, and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
It is great to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the hotel’s facilities and location. I am glad that you found the hotel delivers value for money. I am pleased that you had a chance to try some of the great restaurants and cafes in Surry Hills.
Once again, thank you very much for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel again in the near future.
Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Beautiful, clean hotel with great facilities and extremely helpful and friendly staff. Location is okay, near Hyde Park and only about a 10 minute walk into the main central streets of Sydney where the mall and shopping areas are. (Museum station is nearby however for longer journeys) The room was beautiful and I wish I could have stayed here for more than just three nights! Definitely would recommend staying here to anyone visiting Sydney.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear 00_GeorgieW_00,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel and thank you very much for your great feedback.
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed everything from the facilities, to the cleanliness to the friendly hotel staff.
It is pleasing and motivational to receive great feedback like yours and we appreciate every word.
Once again, thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back to the Cambridge Hotel in the near future.
Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not a bad hotel, clean but basic, 40 min walk to downtown, Sydney. Kai the young gent on reception was very helful, we had just flown from Bangkok and we were a little early checking in, so he gave us some towels, so we could shower, so we could carry on with our day and check in later, because had book to walk the bridge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra J,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate all the feedback our guests share with us.
I am very pleased to hear that the front desk staff lived up to your expectations, we have shared your feedback with the team and Kai is very happy to receive a recommendation from you.
I am glad you were able to carry on with your day after an early arrival. We hope you enjoyed Sydney and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel again soon.
Bacup, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We appreciated their choice of room, on the 14th Floor, no views of the harbour as the hotel has an equally tall building on that side. That said the room was extremely comfortable with a dressing room and en suite shower room. This had a large walk in shower. The shower room was pristine. The room had a large picture window with sliding door onto the balcony.

From the Hotel you could walk to either Sydney Harboiur or Darling Harbour in about 20 minutes, but beware its uphill on the way back and it may take an extra 10 minutes.

We found the restaurants on Oxford Street to be good, especially the 'Wok On' which provided a variety of Asian foods cooked quickly to order.

The hotel offers the service of a Bus Transfer company to the airport. This surprised me as my inquiry before we left the UK as to transfers was met by a general taxi or coach transfer response. Had they mentioned they have a relationship with one in particular we would have booked it in advance for the journey from the airport to the hotel.

All in all an enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Can only comment on our own room on the 14th floor, it was large by comparison with other hotel room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bobbrittania,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room, the views, and the spacious room and bathroom. I am also glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the surrounding restaurants.
We apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced in regards to the transfer misunderstanding. We hope that this did not affect your stay in any way.
Once again, thank you very much for your comments towards the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at the Cambridge Hotel for a few nights and came away quite disappointed.

The stay was off to a bad start when the check-in lady, without so much as a smile, told me "Hold on, I need to breathe." Not exactly the best way to greet a hotel guest, especially since the hotel guest is likely to have gotten off a long flight and commute him/herself. Thankfully that was the only negative experience with service; all the other staff were polite and helpful (special thanks to Kai for his patience with some of my questions!).

The room we got was huge. There's space for a double bed and a sofa, coffee table, writing desk, large TV and cabinet. Bathroom was fine as well, spacious and inviting. Views are not great but that's not a biggie.

The location was quite a let-down, especially since Tripadvisor reviews had led me to believe that the hotel is centrally located. The hotel is in the Surrey Hills area. This is actually a really nice neighbourhood--lots of design shops, arty cafes, chic restaurants etc. However, the hotel isn't exactly central. It's a good 10-15 minute walk to the CBD area, and to get to the major attractions like Circular Quay, Darling Harbour etc, you definitely need to take a train, tram or bus.

The hotel is also located in quite a quiet lane that's about 3 minutes from the main road (Oxford Street). It can be quite dark at night though the area is quite residential and probably quite safe.

Wifi is expensive (you'd expect a boutique-ish hotel like Cambridge to offer free wifi) and parking is expensive as well (about $24/day or $7/hour).

Hotel restaurant is beautiful and I believe you can get a discount if you're a hotel guest.

All in, I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel though for the price it's probably quite ok value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whatty
Dear Whatty,
Thank you very much for your contribution regarding your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room, and I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the neighbourhood Surry Hills. I apologise if there was a misunderstanding in regards to the location, many guests stay at the Cambridge Hotel because they enjoy the location, and we try to make it as clear as possible that the Hotel is 10-15min from the CBD which you also mentioned.
It is also great to hear that the friendly staff lived up to your expectation, with the exception of your check-in clerk. I apologise for any inconveniences this may have caused.
We do not offer free WiFi at the Cambridge Hotel, as this is not a common practice in Sydney, however we are looking into different ways which we can package room and WiFi together to give more value for money. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Cambridge Hotel in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I will give credit to Chris & Paros at reception, who were polite, friendly ANC helpful. However, I will not return (despite the convenient location). My room was situated by the pool, which was so heavily chlorinated that it stung my eyes just to walk by! As other reviewers have mentioned, rooms by the pool are noisy. After pool hours, the noise continued, with noisy neighbours (both within the hotel and next door), whistling winds (window frame had a gap) and a continual high pitched hum which I think was related to the pool equipment. Upon arrival, there were hairs in the bathroom, the lamp light globe needed replacement, and the digital clock was set to the wrong time. There was also nothing in the mini bar. This dated hotel has had a 'mini make over', but of poor quality. The bathroom tiles have been
painted over and are chipping and peeling. The decor is mismatched. When I asked at reception to borrow a bottle opener (none in the room), the very impolite female service host told me that none were available to loan as 'people stole them' ( which somewhat insinuated she thought that I would steal it). I had to take my drink to the restaurant next door and ask them to open it for me! Added to this experience their ridiculous charge system (charge you up front, + $100, then charge you again in checkout and refund you...), I cannot recommend the Cambridge Hotel, especially at the prices they charge.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear kato_80_80,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
All comments and suggestions we receive from guests are much appreciated.
I'm sorry to learn that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.
Please accept our most sincere apologies on behalf of our team for the issues you experienced during your stay with us.
I would like to reassure you that this is not typical of our hotel experience and I wish to express our apologies on behalf of the entire team for your disappointment.
I am glad to hear that Chris and Paros lived up to your expectations, and they are very happy to receive your recommendation.
It would be a great help to us if you could contact me directly on steven@cambridgehotel.com.au so we can discuss and investigate further the issues you experienced and reinstate the Cambridge Hotel back to your good favour.
I hope you give us an opportunity to be of service to you again.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have read various reviews about the confusion of two hotels in one building and will agree with this by adding my own confusion. My travel agent booked a room for me, and paid, in the 4 star Cambridge, but a month later received an email stating there had been an error, and my room was now in the 3 star Abey overlooking the pool. After reading the reviews about the noise from the pool filter, I strongly objected to this and my agent was told I had been upgraded to an Express Room in the Cambridge. On arrival, I was allocated a room on the 4th floor at the back of the building. The room was drab, dismal and stuffy. The large window was heavily frosted glass because of the proximity of other buildings. There was a noisy air-conditioning plant outside the window and as the window did not open, I had to use the noisy air conditioning in the room. I immediately went back to reception to complain, but was told the hotel was full and they could not moved me tonight, but I could move tomorrow. So I spent a very uncomfortable night with very little sleep. I have checked various web sites and reviews, but I cannot find a photo of a room like mine. Also, the Cambridge describes its rooms as Premium & Deluxe, I cannot find a room described as Express. My second night, I was allocated a room on the 7th floor which was a suite - bright, colourful, windows that open, views of the city, balcony and even a different range of toiletries in the bathrooom ( the coloured ones shown in the photos, ) Yes, I had a very pleasant relaxing time in that room and a good night's sleep. Why are single people treated like this? Why do I have to fight to get a pleasant room?
Apart from that, the staff were very pleasant and patient with my complaints. Very helpful on my day of departure, stored my baggage and valuables, provided towels and toiletries and there is a shower room. The hotel has a good location, transport nearby, or just over half an hours walk to the harbour. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant as it always seemed very busy and noisy. But 5 mins walk to Crown Street has a good variety of eating places and shops.
I think management needs to sort out its descriptions of the 2 hotels and their rooms. Noisy air condidtioning is not environmetnally friendly and is not necessary if windows have openings. I also hope management would treat single people with more resepct. We pay more for rooms than couples and we deserve better. I visit Sydney most years on my way to New Zealand, and Yes, I would return to this hotel if I was guaranteeed a better room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the hotel with windows that open and views of the city. Some have ba...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Female-Tourist,
Thank you very much for the feedback with your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel. Please be assured that all guest feedback are important to us and this helps in our journey in providing excellence in guest satisfaction.
It appears that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay and caused you confusion re the Abey and the Cambridge Hotel.
While searching through our Managers daily log and discussing with our staff members we were able to identify the booking. You had initially made the booking for the Abey Hotel (previously known as Express room). We were then requested by the agent you booked to give you an upgrade on this occasion as you were not too keen to stay in the rooms around the pool area.
We then upgraded you to one of our Premium rooms on the 4th Floor.
I am sorry that the original room allocated was not to your satisfaction. Unfortunately the hotel being full house we could not move you to another room that night. The next morning one of our Assistant Manager assisted you to move to another room which was once again a complimentary upgrade to a Suite which I am happy to hear that you enjoyed.
The noise you are referring to is from the external unit of the Air conditioners which has a fan that may produce some noise. When our Maintenance team tested the noise level it is at an accepted level.
In regards to the Express rooms as I mentioned these used to be the part of the Cambridge Hotel around the pool area and now rebranded as the Abey Hotel. The Amenities in the Abey Hotel rooms are also different to the amenities in the Cambridge Hotel rooms.
Cambridge hotel does not and will not differentiate a guest whether they are single or not. All our guests are equally important to us.
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and their eagerness to help. Abey Hotel is located around the pool area and Cambridge Hotel is situated on the tower section of the hotel.
If given an opportunity for your return visit I request you to book our Deluxe Balcony rooms and One Bedroom Deluxe if you require space, balcony and high floor.
Once again, thank you very much and I do hope that we are given the opportunity to serve you.
Kind regards,