“Pleasantly Surprised and happily delighted.”

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #35 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Auckland, New Zealand
“Pleasantly Surprised and happily delighted.”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My personal experience of the Cambridge Hotel is a good one. I found the location ideal, the room more than adequate, the price reasonable, the service decent, the staff friendly, the balcony smokable on (which delighted me to not have to stand on the street and the view was great) Yes it is a 1970 building trying to disguise itself as highend but you can't blame a gal for trying and heck its not ugly, tired or sad. I found our room tasteful (Room 1005) I enjoyed the privacy, the room, the convenience. Its two streets back from Oxford St, close to great cafe's everywhere (recommend; the winery, Madam Char Char, Pablo's vice to name a few) Close to supermarkets (IGA, Duffys and Thomas Dux) all but a few minutes walk away. I love the diversity of the area, the sights, sounds and people. I felt safe (the police station is directly across the road) It is not far from Central Railway Station (approximately a 10 minute walk away) or Museum Station (7 minutes away) or walk into town through Hyde Park which is a lovely 10-25 amble depending on where you are going and how fast you want to get there. The staff were friendly, and helpful. I don't know if the internet was reasonable or not $15 per day or $35 for three days. I would gladly recommend this Hotel to anyone heading to Sydey that wants an affordable, pleasant hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: Pick any Premium/Deluxe Balcony Rooms on the upper floors for less noise and better views. If you sm...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nardopolis
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Nardopolis,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel, and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location, the pricing, the friendly staff and the room.
Thank you for your great recommendations, I am sure many will find that very helpful.
I am delighted to hear you had a great time at the hotel and in the location, and that you recommend the Cambridge Hotel.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pluak Daeng, Thailand
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed in the hotel for 4 nights recently and have been very comfortable. My basic room was more like a suite with a small office a couch and table. Big and nice bathroom. Nothing what you would expect in Sydney.
Two downsides during the first night I had holes in my towel and found a bug in the bathroom. Nothing which put me off due to the management immediately took actions once reported.
A small surprise as well that they had one of my favourite drinks in the mini bar (28Black/28White).
The remaining of the days where great and I felt very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TobiasML
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Tobias ML,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room and the choice of minibar.
I apologise for the issue you faced with the bugs. The hotel is undergoing the quarterly pest control, but I am happy that you felt this was dealt with immediately.
I am very glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back the hotel again in the near future.
Singleton, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The rooms have had a cheap makeover& tile paint is already coming off in bathroom. Only cheap blinds on window which let the bright light in at night & when open you look straight into untidy places next door. Had a pool side room which was extremely noisy from 7am. Not a great experience would make sure to ask for inside room if planning a late night.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Dana H
Dear Dana H,
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I am troubled to hear that you felt the hotel did not live up to your standards. We have investigated your comments and your comments have been taken up with the maintenance manager, and the pool rooms are now undergoing maintenance to improve this.
Once again, we appreciate your feedback, and this has helped us to improve ourselves.
I am glad you enjoyed the location.
I would recommend a premium room instead of a pool room for your next stay.
I hope you give the hotel a second chance, and we look forward to hopefully seeing you back here.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and i have a few comments i need to share.
I would like to say thank you to Jennifer for fitting me in when they we so busy.
The room was just supurb. I had a work desk , a King bed and a balcony on a high floor.
Thanks you Dona from front desk for organising me directions to Toko restaurant and it really was only a 10-12 minute walk.
Thats to the Porter (sorry i didnt catch your name) you organised the taxi and helped me with my bags.
I have already reccommeded this hotel to several work mates.

Room Tip: Even though the hotel does not have a gym, all guest are able to use Boxing Works Gym around the cor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Harry K
Dear Harry K,
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us, and that the friendly staff were to your satisfaction. Your feedback has been passed onto the entire team, and we are all very grateful for your comments.
I am also very pleased that you enjoyed your room, and the location and very glad to know that you recommend the Cambridge Hotel to your friends and acquaintances.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is an old hotel from the 1970's that had some renovations done 5-20 years ago. You cant hide the fact that this 20 level building (there are 5 levels of car park) is served by 2 elevators that are shared with hotel housekeeping. As such the wait for these tiny elevators is often long and very frustrating, There are are no fire sprinklers in the rooms either. Its a cheap and tacky experience, and that's before they try and put you in an Abey Hotel room. Oh yes part of the hotel they label Abey which is maybe rated 3 star if you lucky - tiny rooms with miniscule bathrooms with frosted windows and absolutely no atmosphere apart from cheap and nasty.

I booked and paid for a Cambridge Hotel room and they put me in this horrible Abey Hotel Room, This is deceptive conduct. They claim they were over booked. Eventually I swapped room after the first night to a Cambridge room but the bitter taste of being taken advantage of remained.

Best advice is book and insist on nothing less than a Deluxe Balcony room. Anything else will be grossly sub standard. Still except flashing multi coloured LED lights, horrific colour decor. The supposed 4 star room I had on the 10th floor has no mirror in the main bedroom, no sofa to sit on, no desk lamp, no power points at the desk, nothing on bare concrete walls, 1970's standard glass that is paper thin and makes this place very noisy. Basic cleaning is ok although the beds are hard and not particularly comfortable.

The 4 star rating was achieved by meeting the basics, that's about it. I would avoid it. It makes a Mecure look 5 star. This is 3 stars at best but its still basically an old dump with a quick makeover

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank BrisbaneNewDad
CambridgeHotel, Assistant General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear BrisbaneNewDad,

Thank you for very much for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.
We are very grateful of guest feedback in any instance. The feedback received helps us to achieve our ultimate goal in guest satisfaction.

It appears that we were not able to meet your expectation during your stay. I do sincerely apologize that for that.

Our Front Desk Team is always available to assist our guest in their needs. I do hope that you will consider my apologies for us accommodating you in an Abey room on the first night. We were able to move you to a Cambridge room the next day and arrange a double bed on your request as opposed to single beds booked.

You mentioned on check out that you did not want to be contacted further at all. However given the opportunity I would like to discuss this matter personally with you to resolve the concerns raised.

BrisbaneNewDad, Please do contact me directly on subhuj@cambridgehotel.com.au or by phone on 02 9215 5101.

Thank you once again for choosing the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.

Kind Regards,

Sub Pradhan
Assistant General Manager

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Bundaberg, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I found the staff to be very helpful,especially Donna, at check in. We stayed in a One bedroom deluxe room which was clean and tidy. It was great to have a room that you could, if wanted, cook some toast or even heat up a meal. We had a city view with which we could see the top of the Opera House. Though not right in the city, you are not that far from anything. It would be 20-25 minute walk to Sydney Harbour or to some great shopping. If you are coming to sydney by plane there is two train stations that are not far, the Museum or Central, either one it's about a ten minute walk. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Judy D
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Judy D,
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking your time to share your lovely comments with us.
I am very pleased to hear that Donna and the rest of the staff lived up to your expectations, and that the spacious and clean hotel rooms and location were to your satisfaction.
Your feedback has been passed onto our staff and feedback like yours motivate our staff to keep up their great guest service.
So, once again, thank you for your great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel in the near future.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I overnighted here at the start of an overseas holiday, and like all the other times I have stayed I found the staff to be very friendly and the room to be clean and welcoming. I've had different room configurations each time, so I can't really help in terms of what to expect from a room but they've all been well appointed and spacious. I walk here from Central station after catching a train from the airport and for me it is convenient to get to but I warn others who want to try this that the walk from the station is mostly uphill. The hotel is not at the centre of all the action but there are some great restaurants nearby and it's only a short walk to a lot of Sydney's attractions. It continues to provide great value and will remain my hotel of choice in Sydney.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cherri_d
Dear cherri_d,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge hotel and, thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the hotel rooms, location and friendly staff have been to your satisfaction.
I am also very glad to hear that you feel the hotel provides good value for money.
Once again, thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.