Cambridge Hotel Sydney
$164
$186
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$140
$117
$275
$238
  • Pool
Meriton Suites Pitt Street, Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$122
$184
$124
  • Breakfast included
4,704 results
All reviewssurry hillsoxford streetgreat locationbalcony roommuseum stationhyde parkwalking distancefree wifigood sizeopera housepublic transportwould stay againreception staffmini barshort staybuffet breakfastcentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is an old hotel from the 1970's that had some renovations done 5-20 years ago. You cant hide the fact that this 20 level building (there are 5 levels of car park) is served by 2 elevators that are shared with hotel housekeeping. As such the wait for these tiny elevators is often long and very frustrating, There are are no fire sprinklers in the rooms either. Its a cheap and tacky experience, and that's before they try and put you in an Abey Hotel room. Oh yes part of the hotel they label Abey which is maybe rated 3 star if you lucky - tiny rooms with miniscule bathrooms with frosted windows and absolutely no atmosphere apart from cheap and nasty.

I booked and paid for a Cambridge Hotel room and they put me in this horrible Abey Hotel Room, This is deceptive conduct. They claim they were over booked. Eventually I swapped room after the first night to a Cambridge room but the bitter taste of being taken advantage of remained.

Best advice is book and insist on nothing less than a Deluxe Balcony room. Anything else will be grossly sub standard. Still except flashing multi coloured LED lights, horrific colour decor. The supposed 4 star room I had on the 10th floor has no mirror in the main bedroom, no sofa to sit on, no desk lamp, no power points at the desk, nothing on bare concrete walls, 1970's standard glass that is paper thin and makes this place very noisy. Basic cleaning is ok although the beds are hard and not particularly comfortable.

The 4 star rating was achieved by meeting the basics, that's about it. I would avoid it. It makes a Mecure look 5 star. This is 3 stars at best but its still basically an old dump with a quick makeover

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank BrisbaneNewDad
CambridgeHotel, Assistant General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear BrisbaneNewDad,

Thank you for very much for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.
We are very grateful of guest feedback in any instance. The feedback received helps us to achieve our ultimate goal in guest satisfaction.

It appears that we were not able to meet your expectation during your stay. I do sincerely apologize that for that.

Our Front Desk Team is always available to assist our guest in their needs. I do hope that you will consider my apologies for us accommodating you in an Abey room on the first night. We were able to move you to a Cambridge room the next day and arrange a double bed on your request as opposed to single beds booked.

You mentioned on check out that you did not want to be contacted further at all. However given the opportunity I would like to discuss this matter personally with you to resolve the concerns raised.

BrisbaneNewDad, Please do contact me directly on subhuj@cambridgehotel.com.au or by phone on 02 9215 5101.

Thank you once again for choosing the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.

Kind Regards,

Sub Pradhan
Assistant General Manager

Cambridge Hotel Sydney

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I found the staff to be very helpful,especially Donna, at check in. We stayed in a One bedroom deluxe room which was clean and tidy. It was great to have a room that you could, if wanted, cook some toast or even heat up a meal. We had a city view with which we could see the top of the Opera House. Though not right in the city, you are not that far from anything. It would be 20-25 minute walk to Sydney Harbour or to some great shopping. If you are coming to sydney by plane there is two train stations that are not far, the Museum or Central, either one it's about a ten minute walk. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Judy D
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Judy D,
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking your time to share your lovely comments with us.
I am very pleased to hear that Donna and the rest of the staff lived up to your expectations, and that the spacious and clean hotel rooms and location were to your satisfaction.
Your feedback has been passed onto our staff and feedback like yours motivate our staff to keep up their great guest service.
So, once again, thank you for your great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I overnighted here at the start of an overseas holiday, and like all the other times I have stayed I found the staff to be very friendly and the room to be clean and welcoming. I've had different room configurations each time, so I can't really help in terms of what to expect from a room but they've all been well appointed and spacious. I walk here from Central station after catching a train from the airport and for me it is convenient to get to but I warn others who want to try this that the walk from the station is mostly uphill. The hotel is not at the centre of all the action but there are some great restaurants nearby and it's only a short walk to a lot of Sydney's attractions. It continues to provide great value and will remain my hotel of choice in Sydney.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cherri_d

Dear cherri_d,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge hotel and, thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the hotel rooms, location and friendly staff have been to your satisfaction.
I am also very glad to hear that you feel the hotel provides good value for money.
Once again, thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The room we stayed in was a Deluxe King with Balcony. We were on the 4th floor corner room. Was a lot smaller than we thought and had no couch as per photo. The breakfast room attendants needed to tend more to what was needed. Most days there was no cutlery or cups. We pre booked our breakfast as an extra before arriving. Don't do this, because if you decide not to have breakfast you still get charged for it. The pool is also way smaller than it looks in the online photos. We are well travelled and are not fussy but found that their service could have been a little better. We had two singles zipped together to make a King. Beds were comfy, room was noisy, windows are paper thin, when someone above has a shower at 3am you hear it running through the pipes, also when other balcony doors are opened you can hear those. We expected a bit of noise being close to town but skips being emptied at 6am and construction work next door starts early morning. It was a comfortable stay but a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Perhaps get a higher room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Arthur E
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Arthur E,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay.
I am troubled to hear that your experience at the hotel did not live up to your expectations. I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly on steven@cambridgehotel.com.au to further discuss the issues you experienced.
All the rooms have different layouts, and deluxe rooms come equipped with either lounge areas or a desk area.
I apologise that you were disappointed with your stay at the Cambridge Hotel, and I look forward to speaking with you, as this is not the standard we are known for.
Thank you for talking your time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful - found us a room to check in to before 11am, even though we'd only expected to be able to drop off our bags. Staff also helped with restaurant recommendations.

Room was well furnished and decent size, and fair value for the price paid. The only negative was a fairly poor breakfast in a noisy room, which seemed to be hosting a noisy business meeting at the time. Easily avoided by getting breakfast elsewhere.

I'd happily stay there again on any future visit to Sydney.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BridgfordRed

Dear BridgfordRed,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am delighted to hear that the friendly staff and the spacious room lived up to your expectations. I apologise that the breakfast was not up to your standards, and I am happy to inform you that the new restaurant Osteria Baccomatto, by the renowned Mauro Marcucci will be serving Rustic Italian foods, and will also be providing the breakfast. I am sure that you will be pleased with this new restaurant opening up in mid-November.
Thank you very much for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Warm Regards