“Mixed review”

Ranked #35 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Mixed review”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The room we stayed in was a Deluxe King with Balcony. We were on the 4th floor corner room. Was a lot smaller than we thought and had no couch as per photo. The breakfast room attendants needed to tend more to what was needed. Most days there was no cutlery or cups. We pre booked our breakfast as an extra before arriving. Don't do this, because if you decide not to have breakfast you still get charged for it. The pool is also way smaller than it looks in the online photos. We are well travelled and are not fussy but found that their service could have been a little better. We had two singles zipped together to make a King. Beds were comfy, room was noisy, windows are paper thin, when someone above has a shower at 3am you hear it running through the pipes, also when other balcony doors are opened you can hear those. We expected a bit of noise being close to town but skips being emptied at 6am and construction work next door starts early morning. It was a comfortable stay but a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Perhaps get a higher room.
2 Thank Arthur E
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Arthur E,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay.
I am troubled to hear that your experience at the hotel did not live up to your expectations. I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly on steven@cambridgehotel.com.au to further discuss the issues you experienced.
All the rooms have different layouts, and deluxe rooms come equipped with either lounge areas or a desk area.
I apologise that you were disappointed with your stay at the Cambridge Hotel, and I look forward to speaking with you, as this is not the standard we are known for.
Thank you for talking your time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to hearing from you.
Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful - found us a room to check in to before 11am, even though we'd only expected to be able to drop off our bags. Staff also helped with restaurant recommendations.

Room was well furnished and decent size, and fair value for the price paid. The only negative was a fairly poor breakfast in a noisy room, which seemed to be hosting a noisy business meeting at the time. Easily avoided by getting breakfast elsewhere.

I'd happily stay there again on any future visit to Sydney.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BridgfordRed
Dear BridgfordRed,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am delighted to hear that the friendly staff and the spacious room lived up to your expectations. I apologise that the breakfast was not up to your standards, and I am happy to inform you that the new restaurant Osteria Baccomatto, by the renowned Mauro Marcucci will be serving Rustic Italian foods, and will also be providing the breakfast. I am sure that you will be pleased with this new restaurant opening up in mid-November.
Thank you very much for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Warm Regards
Lismore, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed in a deluxe room with a private balcony on level 10. Although the room wasn't "luxurious" or state-of-the-art, it was certainly spacious, bright and airy and none of the room was particularly dated. The bed was a very comfortable queen.

The bathroom was better than I was expecting for the price, and had a window which was a pleasant surprise, and bath.

Mini-bar items were insanely cheap for Sydney ($2 for a bottle of water for example).

The only thing that let the hotel down is the location - it's a noisy neighbourhood at night and when I was staying there was construction work a few buildings away. This meant that by 6 or 7am it was very noisy, even on the 10th floor on the opposite side of the hotel.

It is a bit of a hike into the city (but only a short taxi ride), but a 5 minute walk into Surry Hills and you've got the selection of some fantastic restaurants, pubs and cafes.

I would definitely stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear jstirk,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge hotel, and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the spacious room and comfortable bed. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the locations for its many famous dining options.
I apologise that you felt the neighbourhood was noisy. Surry Hills is a well-known neighbourhood for its many boutique shops, cafes, galleries and great atmosphere. I also hope that the construction work did not disturb your stay with us. We look very much forward to the new restaurant and 5 star hotel opening up next door in mid-November.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future, and that you will come and experience the hotel when everything is completed next door.
Once again thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

A great experience from start to finish. Booking was simple and efficient. Greeting and friendliness of staff made you feel welcome. Room was spacious, very clean and bedding very comfortable. Great location on the edge of the city. Close to public transport, shops and restaurants. Definitely on my recommend list to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Terry N,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge hotel and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am very pleased to hear that you had a great experience with us and that your stay was smooth and pleasant all the way through.
I am glad to hear that our friendly staff met your expectations and that the hotel, the location, the cleanliness and the facilities were to your satisfaction.
It delight me to hear that you will recommend the Cambridge Hotel and that you will stay with us again, so I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Belgium
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Modest Hotel in quite a good city fringe location. Supermarket, gym, cafes close by. This hotel has some oddities - including staff and guests - but is clean and renovated fairly recently albeit without considerable thought about some practicalities .... TV's in balcony rooms in odd position and hard to view comfortably from bed and couch. Blackout curtains wrongly placed and let light shine through at night. Don't eat the goodie boxes ($10.95) as they are not turned over very often and both we had were stale. Staff try to be obliging but can't help feeling you are in McDonalds ..... Don't be too put off by the hideous graphic design of the logo and related material .... So if you can pick up a room for under $140 then you are on the mark - if the rate any higher then there are better places to stay in the locality

• Stayed September 2012
Dear stiletravel,
Thank you for taking for time to share your feedback with us.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.
I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not really live up to your expectations.
The hotel is currently undergoing many updates including new TVs and new furniture. All TVs are being replaced with large screen digital TVs at the adjusted height. I am also troubled to hear that you didn’t experience the high standard of service for which we are known for.
The Cambridge is an independent boutique hotel that is continually being updated, we have daily meeting with all department to address all questions and problems to come up with innovative solutions and all staff members are actively involved in this process. By doing this, we incentive staff to provide individualised service, proven to be successful. It saddens me to hear that this was not the service you received.
I hope you decide to stay with us again, especially after the new hotel and restaurant opens in mid-November.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Cambridge Hotel has a lot of welcoming and charming character. One is greeted by entering what feels like a conceptual art piece about light and movement. It creates a feeling of sophistication, playfulness and EASE. The aesthetics are a feast for the eyes. The room I stayed in was so spacious and had an amazing view of Sydney.
Gary, the manager was so elegantly groomed and good natured. I appreciated the warmth he and Marina exhibited welcoming me to my temporary home.
The neighborhood has a terrific array of good coffee shops and little boutiques. The Cambridge isn't too far from the airport-so it was all easy and a very helpful staff that makes for more EASE.
Victoria

Room Tip: I had a beautiful s p a c i o u s room 1308. It had a divine view of Sydney.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Victoria,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel.
I am very glad to hear that you had a wonderful time at the Cambridge Hotel and that you felt very welcomed by our friendly staff.
Your lovely comments have been passed onto our entire team, as it is comments like yours that boost and motivate our team to keep up their good work.
I am also very pleased that you enjoyed the design of the hotel and its surrounding cafes and shops.
Once again, thank you for your great feedback and we look very much forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel.
Warm regards,
London
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Good things: the location to the shops and restaurant of Surry Hills, the rooms are spacious, the bed/pillows were super comfortable, the staff were eager to please and ensure you have comfortable stay. Got the distict impression that they are trying to lift their game in the customer service area - we were able to check-in early, our broken kettle was replaced instantly, complementary late check-out when our flight was postponed. Couldn't fault the friendly staff.

The not so good: the airconditioner seemed to do it's own thing regardless of what setting it was on. It was a problem for me but not for my husband so maybe not for others.

This is a solid four-star hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Andrew and Jessie,
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking your time to leave your comments with us regarding your stay.
I am not able to see which room you stayed in so I would appreciate it if you could send me an email directly to steven@cambridgehotel.com.au, so we can rectify the issues you experiences with the air-conditioning.
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the location and that you had a very comfortable stay with us. I am also very pleased to hear that the improvements in the customer service were felt and that you found the staff friendly and eager to help you in any way.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge hotel again in the near future.
Warm regards,