“Mixed impressions” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Nebraska Sandhills
“Mixed impressions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I'll start by saying that all we really wanted was a clean place to stay that would put us close to the airport for the night before we returned to the USA. I searched for places with airport shuttles and came up with Cambridge.
So, it didn't have it's own shuttle and it wasn't all that close to the airport. We took a generic shuttle from the domestic airport to the hotel and ended up with a taxi back to the airport.
The neighborhood is not bad but also not pretty or with great late night food nearby.
Our check in clerk bordered on rude when she told me that there was an additional $50 that would be charged to our card and refunded up to a month later. ( haven't gotten our bill yet....it remains to be seen what that is about). All questions were dealt with in this same officious, unfriendly manner. Finally, heading up to our room, the elevator was glitchy.
The room was actually pretty nice....clean and well laid out for a smaller urban hotel. Not bad at all.
Later, I went down to use a computer but quickly decided not to bother. You pay for wireless based on time and another person on one of their public computers was trying hard to get the desk man to help him because the computer was having all sorts of connection problems while still charging his account for the minutes it was doing nothing. No help or sympathy was offered.
Morning checkout was also harried and slow.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank librarylady57
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Librarylady 57,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
I am very disappointed to hear that your experience at the Cambridge Hotel has been unsatisfying.
I would like to further discuss this with you and would appreciate it if you could contact me directly.
My email address is steven@cambridgehotel.com.au
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

The location is perfect, the price is right and it's clean and comfortable. Nothing over the top. I've stayed here a dozen times or so now and would stay again.

1 Thank Phil M
Dear p55mac,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about the Cambridge Hotel.
I am happy that you enjoyed the location and pricing of the hotel, and I am glad you found it clean and comfortable.
All guest feedback is very important to us; it helps us to continually improve ourselves.
We look forward to your return to the Cambridge Hotel.

Warm Regards,
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed here for 2 five-day periods during our 3 week stay in Australia. Both times in premium rooms. Rooms were spacious, clean and tasteful. Staff very friendly and helpful. Only experienced minor inconveniences like problems with a safe and some noise from draught in one of the rooms.
The hotel is ideally located close to Oxford street and Surry Hills attractions, and only a cheap taxi (or bus) ride from CBD.
Also they offer free gym at a nearby Boxing Works studio.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Closebutnocigar,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stays at the Cambridge Hotel.
I am glad that the hotel met your expectations on both occasions.
I am sorry about the inconvenience the the safe in your room and the noise interruption has caused. I would appreciate if you would give me the opportunity to talk to you personally to further discuss this. Please contact me at steven@cambridgehotel.com.au
I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Location is Fantastic!! The room (Deluxe Balcony) was excellent, spacious and clean although a little noisey in the morning with the Hotels construction work. Room service left alot to be desired but overall a great place to stay and would definately stay again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear Pete B,
Thank you very much for reviewing the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we will use your feedback constructively to further improve our service and standards. I hope you will choose the Cambridge again for future visits to Sydney.

Yours kindly
Moggs Creek
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Overall we were very happy with our stay at this recently renovated hotel. It suited our family needs being able to get a one bedroom deluxe room. This meant the parents had their own bedroom and the kids were on the sofa bed in the living area. It kept the price down only needing the one room. Also mum and dad got a little privacy.We found the room clean and tastefully furnished. We experienced the check in staff friendly and helpful with local knowledge. The hotel was in a convenient location and walking distance to public transport also the Sydney Cricket Ground where we went to watch the Aussie rules football game. My only gripe was the buffet breakfast was a "little light on" the supplies weren't replenished frequently and there didn't seem enough food for the number of people dining at the time. Probably better for my waistline. However for $14 per person (special deal) it wasn't very expensive. I would recomend this hotel to friends and consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room for a view over the city.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kate,
I appreciate the time you have spared to give us feedback about your recent stay with us at the Cambridge Hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the Deluxe One Bedroom Suite suited you and your family well. Please accept my apologies for the lack in replenishing the buffet breakfast. I will certainly pass this on to our F&B Manager.
Kate it’s also great to learn that the area has been to your satisfaction which keeps me positive that you will choose the Cambridge Hotel again for future visits to Sydney

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed here on the 11th of May 2012, for the Prince concert.
I thought this was close to central station, close enough to make myself and my fiancee drag our suitcases up some serious hills from central station. My fault. Oh well..... good exercise.
We payed $15.50 each for the train from domestic airport to central station.
Please get a cab if not during peak hour. Cost: Around $34 dollars.

Staff were very friendly, got upgraded to the executive room. Nice city view. They must have known I was getting engaged during this trip.

Room was clean. Bed was comfy. No sleep in though, works going on across the street. We did not mind. You can't stop progress.

One thing though........ they charged me for the mini bar, which I did not use. I called them a week later and they refunded our money after checking they had made a mistake.

Keep up the good work Cambridge

Room Tip: Facing the city. 11th floor
1 Thank Thomas B
Hi TomNay,

How great to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the great comments regarding the staff and the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience with the incorrectly charged items from the mini bar. We will bring up your comments at the next staff training. Great to hear the issues could be resolved quickly.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Great Location and helpful staff. The room was excellent, spacious, quiet and clean, you cant ask for anything more. I will stay again and advise happy to recommend this hotel. Hopefully the bar will be operational for my next stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rob J
Dear Rob J,

It is great to hear that you have had a great time with us at the Cambridge Hotel. I hope it won’t be too long until you next stay. The bar will be fully operational in November this year and let me promise you it will be worth the wait.