“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #37 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
glasgow
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Stayed for a week and was happy with the value given. Nice clean room although not much room to store clothes and only a shower. Reasonable breakfast . Very helpful staff . On 13th floor and could see top of Opera House. Reasonably close to transport and fairly central.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Dear m_watson49

It is a pleasure to hear that you had an enjoyable time at the Cambridge Hotel. Only with guest feedback we know what we do right and what needs improvements. I am very happy hear we have met your expectations in regards to service, location and facilities.
Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

This hotel isn't too bad; it's clean and has adequate food and the staff aren't too surly. But it had a number of failings that made my stay there just horrible.

The bathroom was appalling. The shower screens didn't slide on their track, the sink was actually broken, and the soap dish in the shower wasn't attached properly and dumped everything in it onto the floor when you touched it. But the worst was the hot water. At any time of day, regardless of water pressure, the shower was impossible to adjust; first hot, then freezing cold. At one point I even found a setting where it would alternate between hot and cold every five or six seconds, without me touching the taps at all. At one point the water pressure was so low the hot water wouldn't work at all and all I had was a trickle of ice-cold water.

But worst of all, my reservation was stuffed up and the staff were convinced I was leaving a day earlier than I was supposed to, despite taking a photocopy of my online reservation information. I had five different people in three hours try to enter my room to evict me, and four phone calls from reception. I shudder to think what would have happened if I wasn't in the room at the time. I spoke to reception a number of times, asking them to let the staff know, which didn't make a difference at all. Then after it had all been sorted out, my swipe card access to my room was revoked.

The hotel's feedback page on their website also mysteriously crashes when you send feedback, and my email to them went unanswered. Sloppy work from the staff and maintenance, and the hotel's management obviously don't care. Freezing showers, no security and extremely noisy: you're better off sleeping in a park.

Room Tip: Stay the hell away from the rooms near the elevator; you can hear everyone coming and going, and the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Katherine N
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Dear Katherine N,
I am very sorry to hear that you have had such a bad experience with us at the Cambridge and that we could not meet your expectations. As per our many phone conversations and emails all your raised issues have been investigated and actioned by each department head. It would be much appreciated if you could please confirm to us that you have received my last email regarding what action that we were taking.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the very near future to show you that we are committed to guest satisfaction and that we have used your comments constructively.

Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

We had 10 days here in late October/early November. It should have been a week but then Qantas grounded their fleet so we had an extra 3 days. We were able to stay in the same room, there were three of us, Mum, Dad and daughter (in our 50's and 24) so we had a studio suite which meant a double room for us and a sofa bed in the living area for our daughter. Kitchen area very good. Kettle, toaster, crocks etc. Small fridge which was perfectly adequate and a microwave which we didn't use. The staff were all great and very helpful when the Qantas thing hit. There is a laundry down in the basement (we were travelling around Australia and needed to travel fairly light so washing facilities were essential) so you can either do your own (which we did) or the hotel will do it for you for a fee. We were on the 6th floor, overlooking the police station and the Porterhouse Hotel (an Irish pub - they do very good pub grub). We were within easy walking distance of the city, the parks, Circular Quay etc. We only used a taxi twice, getting from and to the airport, the rest of the time we walked or used public transport.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear BristolDaisyMay,
Thank you very much for your great feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Cambridge Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that we have met your expectations in regards to the hotel facilities and service. I am also happy to hear that the location has been to your satisfaction. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards

Livermore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

I had two one-night stays here a week apart on my way in and out of Australia. The Cambridge made a great first impression when I arrived around 8:30 in the morning after an overnight flight to find that I could check into my room right away! My fellow travelers and I had been planning to drop off our bags and explore the city, but it was great to be able to shower and change first. Obviously they can't always do this, but it's nice to know they will let you in first thing in the morning if rooms are available. (Some more friends arriving an hour later weren't so lucky though; we'd taken the last available rooms until later in the day.)
The two rooms I had were, clean, large, and modern, and they had a great skyline view. I don't know if these were upgraded from the standard room; I just took what my company booked for me. The room on my first stay had wifi available for a fee. The only drawback to this room was that I heard a lot of street noise and some yelling from a nearby pub around 2 am.
On my second stay, the room didn't have wifi coverage and it overlooked the same pub. When I asked at the desk to move, they said they couldn't guarantee any particular room would have wifi, and in any case the rooms they had left were likely to be noisier. However, I didn't hear any loud noises that night. The staff also pointed out that wifi was always available (for the same fee) in the lobby.
The location is two blocks off Oxford Street, which is a very lively clubbing district. As I said, there was some street noise, and you see a lot of young people out having fun in the evening (and sometimes the next morning), but I didn't feel that the neighborhood was threatening. There's a large police station right across the street. The train station is about 1 km away, down a hill. This was a easy walk for me with one suitcase. The main shopping areas and Hyde Park, along with any number of restaurants, are also in walking distance. The Circular Quay and the Opera House are farther, but my friends and I still made it on foot. You could also get there by tram or bus or taxi.
All in all, I was happy with the Cambridge, and it was an excellent value for a nice hotel in a convenient location. Only the spotty wifi and some street noise keep me from giving it 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you're worried about noise, ask for a room that doesn't face the street (but you'll b...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Chezmay
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Chezmay,

Thank you very much for sparing the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that we have met your expectations in regards to the location, service in cleanliness of the hotel. I have noted your comment in regards to the internet connection and will liaise with the contractor regarding this.. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience with the street noise.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Nice placed Hotel in Surrey Hills, but overpriced for average hotel, tiny hotel rooms, with views of residential building....spa room better, more room, views of city from balcony but for 400 bucks way overpriced for 4 star at best..............imaginative star rating I think!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear ShaunKarrathaWA,
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. It is through guest’s feedback that we know what we do right and where we need to improve.
I hope we can welcome you, your friends and family back to the Cambridge Hotel in the near future.

Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

This hotel was ok, but definitely 3 star, not the 4 that they claim. The location is perfect - very close to the city (10 minute walk to George Street or Darling Harbour) and about 1 minute to Oxford Street. The staff are also very friendly and efficient. I stayed in one of the larger rooms on the 11th floor which was very clean and functional. The bathroom was also very modern and extremely clean. The hotel has a minimalistic design which I liked, but it lacked the finishing touches that would really make it a 4 star property. The things that bring it down were the dirty, leaf-covered door matt on entry, the sign-cluttered reception desk (which goes against the modern minimialist design), the tacky lights on the stairs from the reception to the bar area, the breakfast was VERY average and poorly presented. A 4 star property would have significantly more options (more meats, cheeses, cereals, different breads, fruit and fruit salad, different yogurt options, a selection of pastries including croissants, danishes etc), but this one didn't! The Cambridge had a very simple cereal, toast and cooked breakfast (English style) that lacked imagination and creativity. I also opened the sliding door to my balcony and the handle fell off. The other issue was the very expensive internet - $20 per day is extortion and needs to be mentioned. It is about time that Sydney hotels caught up with the times and offered free internet like most of the rest of the world. If coffee shops and McDonald's can offer free internet then so should hotels!
Overall, I might stay here again because I liked the location and the service, but it definitely needs to improve the finishing touches and step up to become a genuine 4 star because at the moment it isn't!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mehlsack, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Clinton07
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. I am very disappointed to hear that we have not met your expectations in regards to design and interior.
The Cambridge Hotel is an official AAA (Australian Automobile Associations) rated 4 star hotel. I am trying to understand your concern in regards to the signage’s at the front desk. These signs are provided to support and assist our guests with possible questions raised during their stay, check in or check out, in regards to shuttle, currency exchange and of course our fund raiser for breast cancer, which we are proudly support.
The lighting at the staircase leading to the bar and restaurant is there to support the visibility of the stairs and to prevent from falling and tripping which unfortunately occurred before. I have raised your concerns regarding the matt at the lobby entry. Please also accept my apologies in regards to the broken door handle of the sliding door in your room, I have investigated this incident and the door has been fixed.
I believe we offer a great breakfast buffet with 6 warm dishes to choose from, yogurts, ham and cheese, 3 different choices of bread, fruits and cereals and eggs to your liking for a very affordable price of only $ 17.95
Additionally we offer fruit platers and Danish’s for a small extra coast. IAs with the majority of Sydney hotel internet is charged , we monthly do an audit of competitor hotels and to date offer
the most completive rate for internet. I hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I recently stayed at the Cambridge Hotel and my stay was better than expected, I seriously was expecting the worse! It is a small compact well located hotel that offers standard service, clean rooms and reasonable room rates. For a short stay in Sydney it is worth a try. I am very familiar with the area and a walk down Albion Street to Central Railway is pleasant and not too far. Alternatively a walk to Museum or St James Stations via Oxford Street and Hyde Park is also a pleasant stroll. I didn't try the hotel cafe but there are plenty of places to eat on Oxford Street, including the Swiss Bakery for good coffee and pastries. A walk to the David Jones foodhall is also worth a visit for some food supplies.I was initially worried about the street noise however it wasn't a major problem. The hotel sits amongst many surrounding urban dwellings of Surry Hills however the noise levels weren't disturbing. If you have time take yourself for a stroll around the lovely tree-lined streets of Surry Hills, it really is a great inner-city area.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1201 which is a corner room - good views across Surry Hills.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank EurobodallaEnvy
Dear PerthLuscious,

Thank you for reviewing the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. I am very to hear we exceeded your initial expectations. It is through guest feedback that we see what we do right and where we can improve. I am delighted to hear your comments regarding Surry Hills. It indeed is an amazing neighbourhood famous for its bars, boutiques and restaurants.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Please feel free to contact me personally if at any time I may be of assistance. steven@cambridgehotel.com.au