“decent choice”

Ranked #79 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
india
“decent choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed at the holiday inn for 2 nights from 17th to 19th Feb 2009.
Id booked the room via the hotel website and after checking with various other sources, am convinced we got a good deal.
We paid AUD 161 per night for a twin standard room including breakfast and taxes.
Pretty good rate for a hotel thats so centrally located.

Our flight into Sydney arrived at 7.15 AM and we were at the hotel front desk by 9.15. Although I had made a special request for an early check in while reserving the room, I had half expected my request to be complied with.
Much to our relief, we were immediately given a room.
Maybe because the hotel was around 70% occupied at the time.
The room required some effort getting into. The key card needs to be swiped in a particular fashion and the door handle needs to be pressed down simultaenously. SOmething I hadnt experienced before.

Nothing great about the room. That said, nothing to fault either.
The two single beds were adequately sized, clean and comfortable.
The room was clean. The bathroom satisfactory.
As many of earlier reviews have said, the location of the hotel is superb. I agree.
1 mins walk to the Haymarket shopping center and a further few minutes walk from the China Town area.

The breakfast was the standard fare comprising of cold cuts, cereal, assorted breads, juices, and common hot dishes like scrambled eggs, baked beans, bacon, mushrooms, hash browns.
We didnt eat our meals in the restaurant, but did take in a few brews at the inhouse bar, JBs. They had a good collection of the local stuff.

The hotel didnt make me drop my jaw and go wow, but it is completely satisfactory in all aspects.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing , really
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank skytrack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

I travelled to Sydney on my way back from a business trip in Brisbane and was very disappointed with several aspects of my stay. My intention was to have a nice relaxing weekend. I was on a break and ordered wine after midnight. The uninformed night manager was not aware of the licensing laws- she said it was not possible. Considering this was not on any of the material within the room (not on the room service menu for example) I find this completely unacceptable.

Then on the Sunday I wanted to watch one of their advertised movies which was I was told unavailable to my room and they could look into it the next day.

After being given a code to use wireless internet which did not work I was also told that some rooms do not have access to wireless.

In addition when blowdrying my hair two different blow dryers did not work and they had to inform me that the socket in the bathroom was falty.

This would not be such a disappointment if the price of the hotel was not as high as it is. The next time I am in Sydney I will not be staying here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank HelenaPTan
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

This is your standard nice reliable holiday inn, recently upgraded and centraly located, wlking distance to oxford street, circular quay and the opera house, but thy charge 27 aus dollars a day for the internet, even thought the web site says free, ya free if u pay $100 more a day for your room, what a joke!, beware! ALL Holiday inns in Sydney charge this same amount, but in smaller towns and in most american ones it is FREE

Other then that , the place is great.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank umanitek
Honiton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

Stayed here February 2009. After staying in a Holiday Inn in Singapore this hotel is inferior. Do not be put off, the location is good and the rooms are clean and comfortable.
The lobby is always chaotic and crowded with tours groups. Luggage will go to your room if you ask otherwise take it yourself, it is the smaller services that are missing.
The staff are helpful but check in, conseirge can get into processing mode. It is possible to walk to Circular Quay (we are 60+ olds) THERE IS NO POOL which we needed in the tempretures of early Feb.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Staghunt
Kanata
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

Hotel staff were very helpful and location is good for Darling Harbour attractions but hotel is a little rundown looking. Restaurant is very pricey. Do visit the Chinese Gardens only a 3 minute walk away.

• Liked — Closenest to Darling harbour restaurants
  • Disliked — Lack of facilities
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank geoffel
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

We had to attend the conference at convention center and so we chose this Hotel for its proximity. Location was great, we hadn't realised how close to china town we were. It was excellent all the food and shops open till 8.00 p.m. Having been there for chinese new year was added bonus. The key card which has to be used to get to your floor was a nice security touch.

We had breakfast included, the great thing was the juicer which u could use to do your own, down side was b/fast everyday was the same thing, no variation in cooked or cold b/fast menu.

Fitness center was quite small, but I guess at least they did have one, I also used the steam room!

They were two bottle of complementary water, every day which was great.

There was a pillow menu, but whatever I asked for , they had run out!!! I did have a bit of neck pain when I got back but nevemind.

Our room was a family room with two double bed / cramped, but kind of expected it!

expensive valet parking $35.00 per night.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank adventureperth
Oakland, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

We stayed here in May 2008 while visiting friends and family. The location is wonderful if you are looking to be in the heart of Sydney. The room was clean and roomy. The bathroom included a tub and walk in shower.

Our only complaint was the monorail running by what seemed like just an arm's length from our window on the second floor (if I recall). When we opened the curtains in the morning, commuters could look right in!

I would stay here again, but request a room on a different floor.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Monorail
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple