“Nice location and friendly staff”

Ranked #84 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Whilst the hotel is a little dated the staff made the stay a great experience.
We received an upgrade due to being a Priority club member which was a nice touch and due to a elated flight were given a late check out.
Really good location close to great restaurants and a good stay overall.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bradley B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Stu H, thank you very much for your feedback after your stay with us recently. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again next time you are visit Sydney.

Guests Relations Manager,

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here recently to take advantage of the proximity to the Capitol Theatre and Darling Harbour. This was a short visit of two nights so location was very important. We have stayed in a number of Holiday Inns in various places usually for one night en route to somewhere else. They fit a pattern of simple functionality and this one was no different and we knew just what we would be getting - a bed for the night at reasonable cost. The staff were excellent, always polite, cheerful and helpful. We were here for a special occasion and that was recognised with a room upgrade which was appreciated. We had a good sized room with a king sized bed and with ample space in the room. The decor is a bit tired but the room was clean,everything worked, there lots of pillows and the bed was comfortable. There is no mini bar, there is a safe in the cupboard with an iron and there is a jug to make coffee. We had a view of buildings but we were not there to stare out the window so were not overly concerned. Breakfast was very good with a couple of nice touches - English and American bacon, good pancakes and lots of fruit. There are two restaurants downstairs; Shipley's and JB's. We ate at Shipley's one night when a buffet was on offer and we were tired after a long day. This is not an experience to repeat. The food really left an awful lot to be desired. Nevertheless we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and feel we were made most welcome in this hotel.

Room Tip: Obviously we saw only one room but a king bed on the top floor served us well.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear JackAuckland, thank you for taking the time to provide your honest and valued feedback after your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you generally enjoyed your time with us and especially our location. We are also pleased to let you know that we are about to commence another stage of our room upgrade and refurbishment program. Your feedback regarding the buffet has been passed on to our food and beverage manager to be reviewed. It is feedback such as yours that will always ensure that we are meeting the expectations of our valued guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to and IHG property in the future.

Guest Relations Manager,
Holiday Inn Darling Harbour,

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Firstly the positives - this is a well located hotel with the standard HI spec (i.e. good rooms, generally unspectacular facilities but ok for a short visit).
I travel on business most weeks and tend to judge hotels on how well they deal with non-standard issues. This was the second time in 15 years of global travel that something has vanished from my room, and the hotel, in my opinion, dealt with it appallingly.
Firstly, a lack of process. I had to insist that notes were taken around the missing items (two bags of recently purchased clothes from Canterbury and Ralph Lauren at Birkenhead Pier), the timings and other critical data that would be required in an investigation. I had to chase the hotel for an update, and this came the following day as a report of key access. The hotel said that they had interviewed everyone that had entered my room, no-one knew anything about the items, and therefore there was nothing else that could be done.
Secondly, a lack of ownership. I had to insist on access to management, and only my presence in the lobby with other guests being present led to this. The GM's position was summarised in his comment 'why would anyone steal those items? This is not the third world'. I found this to be a bizarre and narrow view of the situation, concerning me whether an objective investigation would take place.
Finally, resolution. The hotel asked me to provide evidence of the purchases and also checked CCTV to see me returning to the hotel with the purchases. Unfortunately its CCTV network did not extend to having a camera in the corridor leading to my room. The hotel reimbursed me for the purchases 'as a gesture of goodwill'. This, in my opinion, is due to my having platinum status with IHG, working for a company with high annual spend, and certainly not an acknowledgement of any failings at the hotel. Equally, if this was about the money, I wouldn't have bought the items in the first place.
There may well be an issue at this hotel and I find it difficult to believe I'm the first to have had items disappear. This experience made me wish to share these concerns in the interests of other travellers. There are thankfully many other options in that part of the city, which I intend to use on my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Rhys268

Dear Rhys268, Thank you for providing your honest and highly valued feedback after your recent stay. Whilst we were disappointed to hear of this situation we are aware that you were in direct contact with our General Manager and a resolution was reached. We understand that you may choose not to return to this hotel when next visiting Sydney, however your loyalty as a Platinum IHG Rewards Club member is very much appreciated and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you at other IHG Hotels when you are travelling.

Guest Relations Manager,
Holiday Inn Darling Harbour,

Reviewed June 27, 2014

A no frills hotel, but absolutely perfect location to be based for just about everything, including walking distance to Sydney harbour and the Opera House.

There is a park nearby ideal for relaxing and a Chinatown district with some interesting places to eat or get takeaway food. Also a plethora of different shops and gift shops nearby. Slightly further walk to get to the other main shopping areas, but all walkable.

Hardly spent any time in my room, but it was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed with quality linen, and I was able to get a really good nights sleep after a busy days sightseeing.

Staff really friendly and helpful.....!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JJK150
Bradley B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear Jeff K, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after staying with us recently. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Sydney and also with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again next time you are visiting the Darling Harbour area.

Director of Sales
Holiday Inn Darling Harbour.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel 7 times over the past 8 months and overall, I'm far from impressed.

Positives

On the positive side the rooms are large and the bed is super comfortable.The buffet breakfast is great value however is somewhat chaotic.

Negatives

On the negative side, many of the rooms I've stayed in have no view (two have looked straight out onto a brick wall with very little natural light). The hotel walls are thin and I can hear things I don't always want to from my neighbours. There is also a lot of noise from the surrounding area. I've been woken up before 6am on several occasions by trucks making deliveries to the hotel. The hotel is also directly opposite the entertainment centre so if there is an event on, you'll be sure to hear it and the subsequent noise of everyone leaving. Reception staff are nothing short of miserable. I'm not sure I've ever seen them smile. The one exception to this is Tony, he's always smiling and a real star.

If you want a quiet, restful stay with friendly staff, then this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room further to the back side of the hotel, I've found these have less noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Tony P
Bradley B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Humshee, thank you for your ongoing loyalty of the past 8 months. We are disappointed to hear of your experiences and would welcome the opportunity to further discuss them with you. As we are unable to identify you from your screen name, we would ask that you make direct contact with our Front Office Manager Francisco Vasconcellos (francisco.vasconcellos@ihg.com) who will be able to follow up further and liaise directly with you. We look forward to hearing from you in the coming weeks.

Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed as part of a tour package. Steps away from Paddy's Market and Chinatown, Macdonald is just opposite, very convenient.

I don't know about rooms on other floors but all our 3rooms on the first floor had 3-4 steps leading down to the beds. Those with elderly or young children, this will be a tad inconvenient/dangerous.

Breakfast was good, first time I had freshly squeezed juices as part of buffet without the need to pay for extras.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank crabcrabby

Dear crabcrabby, it is great to hear from you after your recent stay. Your feedback is much appreciated. The rooms on level 1 of the Hotel do have some steps as you enter, this is due to the building being Heritage Listed and we are unable to make structural changes that will alter the integrity of the building. We do our very best to only accommodate guests who will not find this an inconvenience to these rooms. We trust that you enjoyed your time in Sydney and were able to visit many of our local attractions and hope that you will consider IHG Hotel when next you are travelling.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Love the efficient and professional service! Their friendly concierge patiently gave us tips onhow to navigate the public transport systems (cant remember his name, but a strong, beefy looking gentleman =)).

Room is clean, not noisy at all. Tap is a little tricky to handle, esp for the kids, but nothing too worrying.

Good base from which to explore sydney, will return!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Farnee
Bradley B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Farnee, we appreciate your feedback after your recent stay and are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Your feedback regarding our Concierge has been passed on to the team as they are always interested to hear back from our guests. We hope to see you at another IHG Hotel next time you are travelling.

Director of Sales
Holiday Inn Darling Harbour.