“Was overdue for renovations 10 years ago, it just embarrassing now...”

Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney
Ranked #61 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'll start with the few good points about the hotel: Location. Right on Kings Cross, but not in it; and a leisurely 15-20min stroll to City / Oprah House.

Staff at front desk were also friendly during checkout.

Buffet breakfast looked reasonable, although I did not try. I wet in one morning to get a coffee as I had 'free' breakfast included in my rate. When one of the staff members saw me placing a take away cup under the self serve machine, they were quick to come up and tell me not to worry about that machine, "come to the bar and we'll make you a 'real' coffee with our machine". So I did, and when going to collect my coffee another staff member tried to charge me for it. I explained I had breakfast included in my rate, and the staff member offered me this coffee. He still wouldn't have it and i ended up just walking out (I did give my room number but it didn't show up on the bill).

The fixtures, fittings and fit out the building though - as stated in the heading, extremely tired and well overdue for a touch up! Straying on the 7th floor, I was greeted with a foul, musky stench when exiting the elevator. When I next went through reception I made a point of asking one of the staff to please investigate and spray some air freshener or something... The guys I spoke to appeared to be the manger on duty, and responded with a "Right away Sir, I will inspect the floor myself and see to it that some air freshener is deployed...". Of course over the next 3 days nothing had changed, there was no air freshener; I basically just had to hold my breath and run from from room to the lift each time I was coming or going.

The room itself, would have been great; 15-20 years ago.... Everything was old, worn, and felt dirty - one of those hotel rooms where you are not comfortable sitting on the furniture...

How the hotel retains a 4 star rating, how the IHG group can let a property slide to that state without doing anything, and how they can charge what they do for a room per night; are all well beyond me!

Internet is also expensive, poor quality, and if you only have a device that runs on wireless (which is most things this day in age, aside from the odd laptop that has a lead socket) - forget it!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sunandsnow255100
Aprelle C, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Sun and Snow 255100,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback and detailed comments such as yours. It really allows us a good insight to the guest experience – thank you.

I am pleased that the location and staff made a positive impression during your stay. It was disappointing to read of your concerns with the fixtures and fittings. I will ensure that maintenance see to your concern today, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. I apologise that we did not correct this earlier. Additionally, we are currently in planning for hotel upgrades, including an upgrade to the internet service. We understand that it is important to our guests to stay connected during their trip and I do hope that you will see our efforts on future visits.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights during the Rugby Match as we couldnt get a room hardly anywhere else in Sydney. It was ok. We were put on the ground floor and its very close to the Kings Cross area where there are a lot of pubs, clubs and restaurants therefore can be a little bit noisy. We found the bed very uncomfortable as it was small and the duvet seemed to be too small. We also had a problem with the air conditioner/heating and had to call someone to come and make the room warmer as it was pretty cold. The location is good and the staff are friendly and helpful. The wifi is rubbish though as it stated free wifi but they only give you 20 minutes free a day and you have to sit in the lobby to use it! I have stayed in a lot worse and a lot better than this hotel. If your looking for somewhere reasonably cheap, to rest your head on a pillow at the end of the day and arent too fussed about having an amazing room then choose this hotel for your stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZaraAndy
Aprelle C, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Zara,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I appreciate your honest comments and feedback. I am glad that you found the location central and the staff friendly. I am sorry to hear that you found the bed uncomfortable and there was a problem with the heating. The maintenance team do try to resolve any issues as soon as possible as to ensure guests, such as yourself, can have a relaxing stay. Furthermore, I am pleased to inform that the internet connection will be upgraded in the near future. I do hope that we will get the opportunity welcome you back on your next trip, and we can improve your impression of the products offered at the hotel.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stay was very comfortable, augmented by friendly and helpful staff. Definitely would stay there again as the location was strategic for the train and buses. the buig bear was the lack of free wifi in rooms and even the paid wifi didn't have a strong signal in my room. Despite this I would stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street at lower levels should be avoided
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank rohitkaushal77
Ashwin C, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Rohit Kaushal,

Thank you for your positive and genuine feedback on your stay here at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I am glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay and the strategic location and service contributed positively towards your business trip. I am pleased to announce that for all IHG Rewards Club elite members wifi is free, and there is a complementary 20 minutes offered in the lobby for all guests. Furthermore, we are currently in the process of updating the speed and signal strength of our wifi here at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will be able to see the difference in wifi service capabilities for your next business trip.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Do you wish to be cut off from the Modern World?

Do have a fond memory of Dial-Up Internet and yearn for the days when web pages take minutes (seriously many, many minutes) to load?

Then come to the Holiday Inn in Potts Point, Sydney. In my experience of Hotels in the region this has by far and away the worst internet connection I have ever had the misfortune to use.

Trying to do any form of useful research or work with their connection is a lesson in futility and frustration. The front desk listened carefully to my complaint and then offered to upgrade me to their fast package if I was to pay a fee of 10C per MB (thats $100 per GB).

In effect they offer a free internet service which doesn't actually work in any meaningful way and a paid service that barely does and is very expensive.

From my memories of having hair and staying in Backpackers we had better internet back then and that was more years than I'd care to remember.

Simply not good enough in 2013. (and wouldn't have been in 2001 either).

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank ArnoldTewksbury

Dear Arnold,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. We appreciate every comment to ensure that our guests love their stay and think that we are great. I am pleased to advise that our internet service is in the process of being upgraded, so it will be faster than ever. We understand that staying connected throughout your trip is extremely important and I do hope that we can welcome you back on your next trip for you to see the improvements.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stay was great. Friendly staff and very clean room. Definitely would stay there again as the location was strategic for the train and buses. Only small complaint was lack of free wifi in rooms. Despite this I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ndatsme

Dear Ndatsme,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff. Here at Holiday Inn Potts Point we strive to offer friendly service that is welcoming and genuine. I am pleased to announce that any elite IHG Rewards member has access to free internet within the hotel, and there is complimentary wifi available in the lobby for 20 minutes a day per guest.
I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel for any future visits.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last month and we think it was in a poor location. It is close to red light district. While walking around close to the hotel looking for restaurant people are asking you to go upstairs and looked at there commodities.. No swimming pool or spa available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susan_20132013

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in at the Holiday Inn Potts Point. We appreciate all feedback and comments such as yours to allow us a good insight to the guest experience. Holiday Inn Potts Point is located in a vibrant area with easy access to the city. On the other side of Potts Point is Kings Cross which can be a little bit overwhelming. I am sorry to hear that our location did not fulfil your expectations. To add to this our friendly staff are very familiar with the area and can offer insights to the numerous restaurants and bars that may be suitable for yourself within Potts Point. We look forward to the chance to welcome you back and endeavour to be able to assist you to find the amazing restaurants and bars in the area.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed recently for a conference for 4 nights. My room was facing the main road but away from the Darlinghurst road end (to the right of reception). As such my room was nice and quiet. Unfortunately at the other end (over the restaurant) is very close to a nightclub, and a colleague of mine had a room on the street side here on the first night which was very noisy until the early hours. Fortunately the staff were very accommodating and moved my colleague to another room on the "harbour view" side of the hotel.
Food was of a very high standard and staff were very friendly.
Highly recommended, but don't take pot luck, and ask for a room on the "Harbour view side" away from the night club and you'll do just fine.

Room Tip: Avoid front left corner over the restaurant, ask for "harbour view" or rooms away from the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Roger O

Dear Melbourne Headache Centre,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your views on your stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. The head chef was thrilled to hear that you thought the food was of a very high standard. To add to this, our ambition is to provide a place to stay among friendly people, and we are extremely pleased to hear that our staff were very friendly. Unfortunately given the central location of the hotel there can be a bit of noise over the weekend. However you are correct in that many of our rooms are noise free, and can be requested upon arrival. We look forward to welcoming yourself and colleagues back on your next trip to Sydney.